It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Author investigates 150-year-old UFO sighting

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+29 more 
posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Quite a fascinating case considering it purports high technology in a very low technological era. So much so that an Author called Chris Aubeck (are you an ATS'er?) has decided to investigate it.

The story was published in the New York Herald on April 5, 1873, and trying to find an online copy has been frustrating:

I have wrote the sighting word for word as it is in the article for people who can't see it very well:

Zanesville, Ohio, April 5, 1873.
To The Editor of The Herald:--
A most extraordinary phenomenon was observed near the village of Taylorsville, a few miles from this city. About a week ago, Mr.Thomas Inman, whom your reporter can vouch for as a respectable farmer of unquestionable truth and veracity, related the circumstance to the writer, and with his son, who was also an eye witness, is willing to make oath to the truth of this statement.
One evening about two weeks ago, while Mr.Inman and his son, a young man, were returning to their home from Tayolrsville, the saw a light which they describe as looking like a "burning brush pile", near the zenith, descending rapidly towards the earth, with a loud roaring noise.
It struck the ground in the road a short distance from them. The blazing object flickered and flared for a few moments and then faded into darkness, as a man dressed in a complete suit of Black, and carrying a lantern emerged from it. The man walked a few paces and stepped into a buggy, which had not been observed before, by either Mr.Inman or his son.
There was no horse attached to his supernatural vehicle, but no sooner had the man taken his seat that it started to run, noiselessly but with great velocity, along the highway, and this is continued to do until it reached a steep gully, into which it plunged, when buggy, man and lantern suddenly disappeared as mysteriously as they came.

This phenomenon is certainly an extraordinary and unexplainable one, and sounds more like the vagary of a crazed brain than anything else. But both Mr. Inman and his son, who are sober men and not given to superstitious notions, agree precisely in their statements and maintain that they are strictly true. If it was an optical delusion, super-induced by a meteor or “Jack o’ lantern,” is it not strange that the same fancied appearances could be conjured up in the minds of two men at the same time? Here is a chance for scientists to explain the fantastical optical and other illusions and delusions which follow in the train of, and are suggested by, some strange and unexpected sight or occurrence.

W. A. Taylor.

The above was described in the writings of a Zanesville historian and journalist William Alexander Taylor in The New York Herald on April 5, 1873

Interesting to note the alleged 'man' was wearing black

Sounds like a time traveler story to me. I hope the investigator get's all the relative information about this case, and i'll look forward to reading it.

SOURCE
edit on 10-30-2014 by skyblueworld because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 10:06 AM
link   
a reply to: skyblueworld
Time traveler, or maybe a time slip?
Imagine how an 1873 farmer would describe seeing a man hop into a Jeep or ATV and drive away from him.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Not sure if that is real of just someones very good imagination back then... but i like it!
I Thought i saw a UFO once upon a time, sorta looked like a shooting star in height in the air, but not moving nearly fast enough for a shooting star. There were no flashing lights either then it just dissipated. Maybe what i saw was that machine traveling back in time to 1873.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 10:12 AM
link   
It's a long shot but there were steam powered cars and a few electric cars in and around New York city at the time, perhaps someone was tracking a meteor, and personal automobiles were a rarity back then, so someone who had never even heard of it before would certainly be shocked by a horseless carriage. All sorts of 'mad scientists' come from stories like this. Who know's, was a good read tho.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Which makes the sighting even more remarkable, because in words I bet the witnesses really struggled to find the right ones.

He may of been use to these types of vehicles and that's it:

The Bollée Mancelle Steam Carriage

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Very interesting! And how would you explain two people seeing exactly the same unusual thing?

Aubeck has confirmed that the two farmers were real people, that they really were father and son and lived in that location at that time, which makes me doubt it was a hoax as I don't see the point for them to make up such story.

The question is: what did they see? What was that silent buggy with no horses?

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 10:26 AM
link   

There was no horse attached to his supernatural vehicle, but no sooner had the man taken his seat that it started to run, noiselessly but with great velocity, along the highway, and this is continued to do until it reached a steep gully, into which it plunged, when buggy, man and lantern suddenly disappeared as mysteriously as they came.

Sounds like he is describing some type of automobile. The no noise comment threw me off though. Sounds like a time slip into the future as others have already pointed out.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Agartha

As unlikely as it sounds, there was a loose culture of hoaxing people and telling tall tales in the 19th Century.

Aubeck is a solid researcher who's been collecting Pre-Flight encounters for a long time. What he'll be looking for is evidence that the witnesses existed and also any character evidence that they weren't involved in any liar clubs...or otherwise.

Some of the lesser-known 'Airship Scare' sightings have been proven to have been hoaxes - tricks played on townspeople and Press. A couple involved journalists who were members of the same Gentleman's Club which means even extant press copy could have been hoaxed at source. These are issues worth considering although the account sounds so great that it should be true.

I posted a thread (Very Strange MaracaiboIncident) about an unexplainable incident in 1886 and find these reports absolutely fascinating.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Liars club?? I never heard of them........ feel disappointed now...... lol

I'll have a look at your thread as I also find anomalies and mysteries absolutely fascinating!

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   

It might've been a blimp. I'm guessing they weren't a common sighting in those days, and probably less common in rural areas.

Still it's an interesting find because it's a snapshot of the past-I'll have to read it again later.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Agartha
a reply to: Kandinsky

Liars club?? I never heard of them........ feel disappointed now...... lol

I'll have a look at your thread as I also find anomalies and mysteries absolutely fascinating!

Just look at Capitol Hill, there's a couple there.

Anyway on subject, I doubt it was a steam driven automobile or electric tram as the first does not travel noiselessly and the second would require electrical wires, which I am assuming wouldn't be found in the middle of nowhere.

Sounds interesting, but more than likely a hoax. The author will no doubt do his research thoroughly and will advise us of his conclusions.
edit on 30/10/14 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   
How exactly do you research something like that from 140 years ago? The principals are long dead, the article is all that remains, and anything else is secondhand hearsay.

I'm not asking to be snotty; I really wonder how much more information a researcher can glean about this, and how would you know if you'd figured out what really happened?

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Anyone note how he terms the buggy as being "silent",or without any noise.
This brings to mind an Electric golf buggy type vehícle or some form of silent propulsión.

This all seems pretty credible stuff..Why say he was dressed in Black and not in silver, or gold or red?

Surely anyone given to fantásy would wish to make his sighting as Incredible as possible, so why so dull a colour as Black?

What we May have here is a crash landing, and the pilot practicing escape and evasión, alíen style.
edit on PM4Thu20141972 by andy1972 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Wow, this one is pretty weird! I'm usualy not very receptive towards these olds stories but the horseless, noiseless buggy took this to a whole another level. If this is just an old hoax it's a pretty timeless masterpiece.

I'm not quite familiar with the term "brush pile". Google image search turns up images of basicaly piles of sticks. Is that just it? What a weird description. Some of the images are kind of square and lattice-like instead of being just a pile of stick. I wonder if the witness meant to describe that it was something like that? Difficult to speculate 150 years later...

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Great Scott...

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   

The real question here is if the original source can be actually authenticated as coming from 1873.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   

This "sighting" seems to be related to the rash of hymn singing Germans who were descending from the sky and taking of in mysterious carriages. Make of that what you will.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Yep, good stuff indeed.
I think a whole study can be made from reports that
are 100 years or older.
Thanks OP for another great UFO thread .

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Nice sighting, I like how they used terminology of the time, given lantern and horseless buggy. Thing is when reading it i imagined a man in a black suit (victorian style) with a lantern hoping into one of those horse buggies of the period and riding off... im sure it didnt look like that at all in reality but thats the closest thing they could describe it as.

Pitty they didnt have a more detailed description, given its a third or second hand report it would be great to get the actual visual details about it over just the broad brush.

Apart from the man emerging from a flickering falling fire and driving the 'buggy' over the edge of a deep gully it could almost be described as a time slip or something, ive read a few and seen a few things concerning them that make me think they might happen in extremely rare, would be funny if for just a moment they got a glimpse of the now or the future, or even a parallel earth (given the buggy apparently appeared from no where). Given the falling fire, id say UFO more like it.

Still gotta be a little careful of these sightings during this period as its around the time sci-fi started being born as a genre of writing, so it could all just be a hoax by the paper that reported it.

originally posted by: mbkennel

The real question here is if the original source can be actually authenticated as coming from 1873.

And this is probably the most pressing concern.

Edit:- doh Kandinsky's, probably right... it was a strange time.
edit on 30-10-2014 by BigfootNZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I find it odd that they should describe the buggy as making no noise. While there may have been a few very rare steam powered vehicles, most people would never ever have experienced seeing one, so why would they even expect a buggy to make a noise?
I wonder if they meant - no noise whatsoever! indicating that it may have been a floating device - Anti gravity? That would explain it dissapearing over the edge of a gully.

I'm glad there's no pics because it stops it from being blirds

edit on 30-10-2014 by VoidHawk because: (no reason given)

new topics

<<   2  3 >>

join