It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would you give...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 09:07 AM
link   
to go back and spend one day with your kids when they were little?
I am 50 years old now, my oldest is 26 and I still have 2 at home, ages 14 and 16. Maybe it's just me getting older, getting a little closer to the end and realizing those days are gone forever, except in my memories.
My oldest, when he was 2 or 3, loved to sit on my foot, grab my leg and go for rides all over the house. As soon as I got home from work, we went for our daily walk. Well, I walked, he rode.
My daughter loved to hide. She even had a suitcase she played in, preferred it to any other toy, and would climb in, close the lid and then pop out laughing her little head off. She found it endlessly funny and I did too, just because it gave her such happiness. My youngest son, the 16 year old, is a big, brawny young man. 6' 1", 230 lbs and a lineman on our local football team. When he was maybe 5 and did something he was asked to do or just did something nice, we would always say "Oh Thaaaank you" and he always said back "Oh, you welllllcome" with a mischevious/cherubic smile and sparkling blue eyes. It was not what he said, but how he said it. It's hard to list all those little things our kids did when they were small, the ones we think back on with a smile and sometimes maybe even a tear, because we know we'll never see it again. But, for me, each one is a memory that brings with it a longing to relive those time.... even if it was only for a day.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Have you told them lately that you love them, love everything about them?

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I don't have children.
If I could go back to just one day, it would be to better handle a negative verbal exchange I had with a loved one.
I handled the situation poorly.
She was dead the next day.
It gnaws my soul.
I would give my life to take it back.
edit on 30-10-2014 by skunkape23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I was in town with my son when he was 4 and had to stop to tye his shoelace, as I stood up I saw a frail grey haired old man staring at my son and smiling.

He saw me looking and instantly panicked and said he was very sorry and that he was not a pedophile. He really was upset and embarressed and went on to say that My son looked just like his son when he was that age and that they never fell out in life but his son moved to Austrailia and he had not seen him for over 30 years.

I introduced my son and they shook hands and discussed what he liked to do for fun for a few minutes.

The Gentleman then said thank you very much and left.

The hardest part was trying to explain to my son why big strong daddy crying his eyes out in public. I'm almost crying now just writing about it.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Every day

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Some times we get so busy wrapped up in the daily grind, we don't take time to think back and remember the little stuff. But when we do.......it can hit hard.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
What would you give...to go back and spend one day with your kids when they were little?

My current career. When she was very young I did something different and had more time for her.

When she was 3 or 4 we lived in the country. Her mom went to town one Saturday and it was daddy/daughter time for a few hours. We were having a good time outside, went in to get something to eat, and she did something that warranted a spanking. I told her in a way that a 3 year old can understand why she got punished and to sit there for awhile while daddy goes outside. Well, when daddy wanted to go back inside he couldn't because she locked all the doors. Three years old and she locks daddy out of the house.

That didn't help her case.

Fast forward to today. She's 14 now. I've always told my daughter that listening to music and reading are two of the best activities you can do. Well, a few weeks ago my data usage went through the roof. I asked her what she was doing on her phone and she told me she was listening to music. I told her to try Spotify and download what she wants offline. I understand that you have to go "on" to get "off", so I was expecting high data usage again. What I wasn't expecting was her downloading 372 songs. All I could do when she told me how many songs she downloaded was put my head in hands and laugh. I told her so many times through the years the importance of music............so I kind of asked for it.

To this day she still finds a way to get daddy's attention when daddy isn't giving her enough.

edit on 30-10-2014 by Taupin Desciple because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Some times we get so busy wrapped up in the daily grind, we don't take time to think back and remember the little stuff. But when we do.......it can hit hard.

That old gentleman taught me that it's all to easy to tell your kids your too busy to spend time, play a game or make something together.

I often ask myself if I am really too busy to spend some time with someone that will not be like that or around everyday in the future and the answer is almost always no.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 10:31 AM
link   

a reply to: intrptr

Every day

Yah, sorry about being insolent on your thread. I didn't bother asking. Nostalgia about kids growing up is precious.

You know what I did to recapture that toddler feeling? I got a dog. They are always three years old emotionally, ready to play, jump for joy at your presence, etc.

Like having a child all over again.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   
double post
edit on 30-10-2014 by intrptr because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

double post

With the downside that they never learn to feed themselves or tidy up the mess they make.

I would be pretty annoyed if my 8 year old son took a dump on the living room floor but my ten year old dog still does it now and again.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   

With the downside that they never learn to feed themselves or tidy up the mess they make.

Umm, because they don't have opposable thumbs?

I would be pretty annoyed if my 8 year old son took a dump on the living room floor but my ten year old dog still does it now and again.

Does your dog have a doggy door? Do you walk pooch on a regular basis? A regular enough basis to depend on to go outside?

It is unnatural for a dog to mess its "nest". They usually won't do it unless they have no other choice. You did say on occasion? Is that after it comes to you whining and you ignore it?

Sorry about off topic, OP.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Umm, because they don't have opposable thumbs?

Does your dog have a doggy door? Do you walk pooch on a regular basis? A regular enough basis to depend on to go outside?

Also appologise for off post. He's a rescue dog and can be nervous, when I said on occasion it I mean maybe twice in a year. I live in a large town and roundabouts fireworks night you get kids letting of fireworks all the time so I'm expecting an incident but try not to leave him alone if possible but it's a good ten days of loud noises. The last time was a few months ago I went out for about 5 hours and there where 3 missed package notes and 4 pizza menus on the doormat so lots of door knocking and things to freak him out. He gets walked twice a day and I work from home most of the time.

Hope that makes my post look like a joke as it was intended and not like a mean animal neglector who has poo in his living room all the time!

edit on 1020141008pAmerica/Chicago2014-10-30T11:35:08-05:0035f35 by nonspecific because: (no reason given)

edit on 1020141054pAmerica/Chicago2014-10-30T11:36:54-05:0036f36 by nonspecific because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   
My youngest is 16, oldest is 23. I saw a cartoon the other day in the funny pic thread that said something along the lines of, "Once time, our parents put us down and never picked us up again". My heart broke reading that, and I tried to think about the last time I picked up my baby boy, who at 16 is bigger than me. He must have been 3 or so (and already far to big for his mom to pick up).

When was the last time he let me grab him up in my arms and hold him in a tight hug?

He still says "I love you" to me when I say it to him. Which is several times a day. So I know he still "feels it".

My oldest....all he wanted was his gameboy. LOL...he ignored us from the age of 5 on.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 12:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
My youngest is 16, oldest is 23. I saw a cartoon the other day in the funny pic thread that said something along the lines of, "Once time, our parents put us down and never picked us up again". My heart broke reading that, and I tried to think about the last time I picked up my baby boy, who at 16 is bigger than me. He must have been 3 or so (and already far to big for his mom to pick up).

When was the last time he let me grab him up in my arms and hold him in a tight hug?

He still says "I love you" to me when I say it to him. Which is several times a day. So I know he still "feels it".

My oldest....all he wanted was his gameboy. LOL...he ignored us from the age of 5 on.

My son is 8 tommorow and growing up fast, two big to pick up and to old to hold hands crossing the road.

He's still soft with his mum but actual contact with dad is getting scarce. Sometimes I get sad about it but then I look at all the things we can do now that could not do when he was 4. Cooking, riding bikes, we went metal detecting the other day.

Whenever I get sad about the baby I have lost I like to imagine having a few beers with the man I have made.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   

We will. But i still make him hug me from time to time.

The youngest and i are very close

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Hope that makes my post look like a joke as it was intended and not like a mean animal neglector who has poo in his living room all the time!

Thanks, it helps to clarify things. Just, My dog occasionally poos inside, wasn't enough info.

I'll bet at ten he is still overjoyed to see you when you get home. More to my point of missing children's "idol" worship when they are quite young, their devotion, playfulness all that. Now what?

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Thanks, it helps to clarify things. Just, My dog occasionally poos inside, wasn't enough info.

I'll bet at ten he is still overjoyed to see you when you get home. More to my point of missing children's "idol" worship when they are quite young, their devotion, playfulness all that. Now what?

My eight year old son(who lives with me half the time) can go on holiday for a fortnight with his mum and when I see him I get a "Hey Dad"

My dog on the other hand greets me when I get back from putting the rubbish in the wheelie bin like I have just been released from a 10 year stint as a hostage.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 05:26 PM
link   

My dog on the other hand greets me when I get back from putting the rubbish in the wheelie bin like I have just been released from a 10 year stint as a hostage.

ROFL… oh, the sweet joy of being appreciated.

top topics

join