It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

20 quotes of wisdom/knowledge/life

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Here is a list I have compiled of some good quotes from some brilliant minds and some unexpected ones too.

1) Half of the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm. But the harm does not interest them. -T. S. Eliot

2) Every experience is a paradox in that it means to be absolute, and yet is relative; in that it somehow always goes beyond itself and yet never escapes itself. -T. S. Eliot

3) Where is the Life we have lost in living? Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge? Where is the knowledge we have lost in information? -T. S. Eliot

4) Poetry may make us from time to time a little more aware of the deeper, unnamed feelings which form the substratum of our being, to which we rarely penetrate; for our lives are mostly a constant evasion of ourselves. -T. S. Eliot

5) For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone. -Audrey Hepburn

6) All propaganda has to be popular and has to accommodate itself to the comprehension of the least intelligent of those whom it seeks to reach. -Adolf Hitler

7) The more you like yourself, the less you are like anyone else, which makes you unique. -Walt Disney

8) People spend too much time finding other people to blame, too much energy finding excuses for not being what they are capable of being, and not enough energy putting themselves on the line, growing out of the past, and getting on with their lives. -J. Michael Straczynski

9) Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -Carl Jung

10) We are what our thoughts have made us; so take care about what you think. Words are secondary. Thoughts live; they travel far. -Swami Vivekananda

11) Fantasy allows you bend the world and the situation to more clearly focus on the moral aspects of what's happening. In fantasy you can distill life down to the essence of your story. -Terry Goodkind

12) Being afraid something is true is accepting the possibility. Accepting the possibility is the first step to believing -Terry Goodkind

13) Everyone makes mistakes. How a person deals with their mistakes is a mark of their character. -Terry Goodkind

14) Slaves, slaves to anything or anyone, despite how much they abhor it, will often cling to that slavery out of fear the alternative would be insufferable. Look at a drunk, a slave to liquor, who thinks us cruel for trying to to get him abandon his slavery -Terry Goodkind

15) Teachings that defy reason defy reality; what defies reality defies life. Defying life is embracing death. -Terry Goodkind

16) Sometimes that's all life is: one desperate act after another -Terry Goodkind

17) All great movements are popular movements. They are the volcanic eruptions of human passions and emotions, stirred into activity by the ruthless Goddess of Distress or by the torch of the spoken word cast into the midst of the people. -Adolf Hitler

18) By the skillful and sustained use of propaganda, one can make a people see even heaven as hell or an extremely wretched life as paradise. -Adolf Hitler

19) Demoralize the enemy from within by surprise, terror, sabotage, assassination. This is the war of the future. -Adolf Hitler

20) He alone, who owns the youth, gains the future. -Adolf Hitler

I know I focused a bit on T.S Eliot & Terry Goodkind but they are great authors and I kept finding good quotes I wanted to include. I know some of you may be surprised that there are some quotes from Hitler but I picked ones that seem to go best with the times. ((Propaganda themed))

I know this isn't as great as the Winnie the Pooh quotes I shared, but I wanted to take it in a bit of a different direction.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Good information and it sure makes you pause for a bit and consider your inner self whilst reading it.

Thanks for posting this Thread and I sure enjoyed it.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 07:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Iwinder

We seem to get distracted with the hustle and bustle of life that we forget to reflect on ourselves and our actions.

Your welcome and I'm glad you enjoyed it

Namaste, Sabi

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Sabiduria, star and flag.

Thank you for sharing those quotes. T.S. Lewis is timeless and such a great author who speaks to all ages.

Text13) Everyone makes mistakes. How a person deals with their mistakes is a mark of their character. -Terry Goodkind

I think I liked this one the best.

And who knows how Hitler would have turned out like in another place and time. Words are wisdom written down, no matter the source.

Namaste,
YogaGinns

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Some pretty good quotes there. S&F

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 08:28 PM
link   
a reply to: YogaGinns

I was introduced to T.S Eliot by my Grade 11 English teacher. She adored him & every day she would have a new quote on the board, not always by T.S Eliot but he did get featured a couple times.

Terry Goodkind is an amazing writer. I'm reading his series 'Sword of Truth' (just got the 14th book in the series) and am absolutely hooked. Terry captures life is such a relatable way even though it is fiction. I often find myself in parts where I can't put the book down, I'm so lost in his world he created and don't often want to it to end. I hope he gets to keep writing this series for a couple more books, there is still so much to cover.

Can you imagine if Hitler had been approved to go to art school? He was a very smart man and he did start off with good intentions, I think power just got to him and corrupted him.

Namaste,
Sabi

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 08:46 PM
link   
"Keep doing what you're doing and you'll keep getting what you're getting"

edit on 29/10/14 by SecretKnowledge because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Sabiduria

Those quotes are pretty good. I was surprised to see Adolf Hitler in the list, but what he said is, sadly, true.

Here are some other quotes which i think are good:

---

"Our buildings can only be as tall as their bricks are strong.

Our civilization is only as strong as its ideas are true.

When our buildings are erected by the corrupt, when their cement is cut with dirt, when pristine steel is replaced by scrap – our buildings are not safe to live in.

And when our media is corrupt, when our academics are timid, when our history is filled with half- truths and lies – our civilization will never be just. It will never reach to the sky.

Our societies are intellectual shanty towns. Our beliefs about the world and each other have been created by the same system that has lied us into repeated wars that have killed millions.

You can’t build a skyscraper out of plasticine. And you can’t build a just civilization out of ignorance and lies."

- Julian Assange, Editor-in-Chief of WikiLeaks.

---

"Fear is more powerful than faith. Until that changes none of us are free."

- Russell Brand, comedian and activist.

---

“Watch your thoughts; they become words.

Watch your words; they become actions.

Watch your actions; they become habit.

Watch your habits; they become character.

Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.”

- Lao-Tzu, Chinese poet and philosopher.

---

“The greatest victory is that which requires no battle.”

- Sun Tzu, Chinese military general, strategist and philosopher.

---

And to keep on some of the propaganda themes, here's a quote from Edward Bernays. He is considered the father of public relations, and Josef Goebbels of Nazi Germany was deeply inspired by his work, using it to conduct propaganda in his role as propaganda minister for the Nazi government.

"The conscious and intelligent manipulation of the organized habits and opinions of the masses is an important element in democratic society. Those who manipulate this unseen mechanism of society constitute an invisible government which is the true ruling power of our country. ...We are governed, our minds are molded, our tastes formed, our ideas suggested, largely by men we have never heard of."

Edward Bernays, father of public relations.

edit on 29-10-2014 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 10:26 PM
link   
a reply to: daaskapital

I knew Hitler would be a surprise to people but the quotes were perfect for the state of world we are in right now.

Those are some good quotes you shared, I liked the one from Julian Assange and Edward Bernays.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 11:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sabiduria
a reply to: daaskapital

I knew Hitler would be a surprise to people but the quotes were perfect for the state of world we are in right now.

Those are some good quotes you shared, I liked the one from Julian Assange and Edward Bernays.

At least on this site people can accept the information logically instead of emotionally become screwed up just because we can agree that Hitler was a intelligent person that could say intelligent things even if he was corrupted by duality.

When understanding propaganda why not go to the master of propaganda so you can learn how the manipulations work so you become aware on a higher level.

Today some of the leaders around the world are so close to the same insane corruption that Hitler had but are so good manipulators that people cannot see it logically since they are invested emotionally in the leaders being Messiah like. You cannot counter faith response when people will not go beyond emotion and see logical reason. Collective self delusion thru the news media.

20) He alone, who owns the youth, gains the future. -Adolf Hitler

Indoctrination=the sins of the old generation destroying the next generation with its small minded insanity continuing the failures of the old generation.

Namaste
edit on 29-10-2014 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

top topics

join