It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have you ever been polygraphed?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Not sure where to put this, so I will go with here...general chit chat.. Mods please move to whatever is the appropiate forum.

Have you ever been polygraphed?

I don't care who you are or what you do... not here to discuss the actual details themselves other than your overall perception of the actual event it itself.

I will admit that I have been polygraphed numerous times by both the NSA and the FBI for employment related purposes.

Going through that process has to be one of the most uncomfortable things that you will ever go through. Personally, I find it difficult to even describe what the feeling is like, the closest I can come is to being mentally raped.

I have never met a single person who came out of a polygraph interview and said..."Hey..that was fun...let's do that again!!"

So have you been polygraphed? What did you think of the experience?

Would I ever take a polygraph for a criminal investigation? NOT IN A MILLION YEARS.

If you want to reply, Well if you just tell the truth, you have nothing to worry about....that statement could'nt possibly be any further from the truth....I know people who do that stuff for a living.... they love nothing more than to get the..."I am telling the truth so this is a piece of cake" attitude type of person. Your nothing more than a challenge to them to break you down.

What say you.... how did you feel about your polygraph experience?

edit on R242014-10-29T16:24:16-05:00k2410Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

edit on R252014-10-29T16:25:50-05:00k2510Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

edit on R292014-10-29T16:29:45-05:00k2910Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 04:28 PM
link   
a reply to: RickinVa

Yes, and they do not work. I think they are just a fancier version of the E-meter the Scientologists use. They might work on most people, but they are flawed enough that in my mind they shouldn't be used for either court evidence or employment screenings.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Nechash

Obviously, there is a reason why polygraphs are not allowed in a court of law.

On the other hand, if you want to work for one of the many various three letters agencies that require you to obtain and maintain a top secret clearance... then you either voluntarily submit.... or you go find another job.

I am simply curious about others who have been through this process and their feelings about the actual process... not the moral/legal issues per se...

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Never took one but worked sort of with them....they are not admissible in court and are complete bunk in my opinion....

I have a great story id like to share but want to get permission first...regarding a polygraph...

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 04:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nechash

Yes, and they do not work. I think they are just a fancier version of the E-meter the Scientologists use. They might work on most people, but they are flawed enough that in my mind they shouldn't be used for either court evidence or employment screenings.

It's the operator of the machine that matters most. The machine gets it right more than 90% of the time without him/her.

Polygrapher's Creed: "It's your lie. Tell it anyway you want."

ETA: These are my favorite kinds of ATS threads BTW. Always interesting to see ... who shows up. LOL

edit on 29102014 by Snarl because: ETA: For the paranoia factor.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Whenever I worked on a CDC project, I had to get clearances at my last work place. I won't talk about how I passed, but let's just say it is a teachable methodology.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Yes I have been administered this test on a few occasions. I find the Voice Stress Analyzer to be much more accurate but with any 'tool' it is up to the 'operator' if that tool is worth a darn...

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Yes I have. Very unpleasant. They work on me, ill say that much and I wasn't even meaning to be deceptive. They asked if I had ever been arrested in the questionnaire. I said no, then once I was wired up he asked again and I said no. Then the "snip" head asked "so you've never been held against your will by police" I failed that portion because I had been taken to PD by PD to pay for a ticket. So I had to go back and take another test and got hired. Another guy I work with told me he flat out lied and passed Lol.
I assume it has something to do with having morales because he has none.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: TexasTruth

Yeah, that was my opinion. When they ask questions like "Have you ever been arrested," or "Have you ever used drugs," in this day and age, they are basically hiring sociopaths and trained liars. ;p

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: TexasTruth

The FBI employment polygraph is considered to "full scope" type of polygraph, and is by far one of the most stressing and uncomfortable things a person will ever do.

Having a complete stranger grill you about your personal habits and things related to those is just horrible. Even though it's a "lifestyle" polygraph and they are not supposed to ask you any questions about sexual orientation or sexual lifestyle...ANYTHING you bring up in that interview becomes fair game... there are no limits.

I am glad I am retired and never ever have to go through that process again.

I actually had an FBI agent try to convince me that a routine traffic stop would be considered an arrest for polygraph type purposes...so as stated above... there are so many grey areas in a lifestyle polygraph. its called fishing for a reason lol.

I have no doubt that the Pope himself could take an FBI full scope polygraph and afterwards he would probably feel the overwhelming need to go to confession.

It's just not a fun experience by any stretch of the imagination.

edit on R212014-10-29T17:21:20-05:00k2110Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Nechash

One note to that.... The FBI application used to state and I quote: "Have you ever used marijuana more than 15 times"

After years of people asking why is it ok for 14 times... but that magical 15th is an automatic dis-qualifier...

That question has now been revised to " Do you feel you have ever had an addiction to an illegal drug" or something along those lines...I don't recall the exact wording... which is even more ambiguous that slapping a specified number on it.

edit on R122014-10-29T17:12:25-05:00k1210Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

edit on R132014-10-29T17:13:25-05:00k1310Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 05:27 PM
link   
One of the roles of my job early on was "sunsetting" a position at a company we have in another city. The lady I was phasing out was moving on to a job with the CIA. Basically a data monkey of some sort. But she passed the background/polygraph.

she is utterly insane. Her insanity is what caused the position to be evaporated when she left. To protect ourselves we elminated that role, and created a different role that handled some of the same tasks.

In any event, polygraph detects people who think they are lying. Not "lies", and obviously not "crazy".

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I've been polygraphed several times for work related purposes. I sailed through every single one - except for an occassion when the polygraph insisted that I was lying about my birthdate - one of the test / calibration questions. I was not - but the machine persisted. I finally just made up a random date and it accepted it.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

Funny you mention that...i was observing one where a man was believed to be a suspect in a homicide...and the examiner was setting up the equipment...the way he was doing it ...i cant explain it but like he was dramatic about it...we were getting ready to leave them all alone..

dude was sweating it out...so finally the examiner before the polygraph even starts walks over to the man and goes "you did didn't you"...and the man breaks down crying saying he did lol...

so the polygraph as a psychological tool yes...but it is beatable for sure and some people get false negatives because just being accused of something can make people feel nervous...so some questions alone get responses...i personally have 0 faith in them but some of the new stuff they are working on is trippy

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Yep once a month for many years...

At first it was the finest hellish experience I ever imagined... SH34 you know you should not be nervous about you are nervous about...

It slowly transformed into just a simple hell. I could lie with the best of them. But I don't see how anyone can beat a full polygraph with the butt seat and ankles and feet with the probes... I just don't see how.

I tried lying a few times in the end to see what I could get away with at the end. Got caught every time. The last polygraph the administer was laughing at and with me knowing exactly what I was doing even though I was very serious.

Polygraphs are not fun unless you are deranged.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I have been tested twice back in the late 80's.

Local law enforcement did testing.

Lied on 3-4 questions and it didn't show up.

Don't have a lot of faith in the machines.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

Supposedly on modern polygraphs the secret is to skew the baseline responses... I tried that as well. Its worthless imo. I don't think they are beatable imho. All of my coworkers and associates agreed with me.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Those machines can and have been got around. Ask the FBI,they will tell you any serial killer worth his weight can get a passing score on them.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 07:56 PM
link   
It all depends on the person, i took mine and lied about a few things and it did not show up but the experience sucks

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Go ahead and lie to me.

Might still be just that....might not.

It's the equation that is intriguing isn't it?

And it goes much longer than most folks think on.

Cheers

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join