It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Here's 2 news items that bring us closer to Artificial Intelligence

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 05:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: supergravity
a reply to: neoholographic

Since humans only use 10% of our brains they plan on brain linking this technology to the other 90% of our brains non -consensualy making mankind walking talking robots , a huge organic hybrid computer where the people are the hardware.if we engineers dont recognize the horrors that are coming from the CORPORATIONS DRIVING this technology it will be to late to defend humanity.

When operational the average person will only have knowledge of 10 things they did that day ,but in fact were directed to 27 activities that would be kept from the memory of that person.A nation of zombie workers that never complain or ask for raises.

You've got to watch out for the military driving it too, an AI arms race is oney way I could see things really going south.

There is an irony to it all too though... Here's Musk, worried that these more competent, more powerful machines will out-compete him, and be so self interested that they keep the profits of doing so all to themselves, and endlessly stack the deck in their favor. That's really a portrait of how most people see CEOs like him!

Where the law of the jungle rules in society (Free markets, military conflicts etc) a sort of evolution takes place...That's why they are powerful, but there's also a downside: Where evolution takes place, the only thing you can be sure of is that whatever you are, eventually something stronger and better adapted will come to replace you. Being on top of this is what will drive AI and post-humanism in coming years.
edit on 30-10-2014 by tridentblue because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 06:16 PM
link   
When they build the first Q computer.
it will do nothing at all!

why?
because it takes a human to effect the path of the Q.

its like the cat in the box.
you dont know till you open it, (even with the smell)

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 06:28 PM
link   
a reply to: tridentblue

You make some good points and these can be some of the positives coming from this.

Virtual Doctors offering a better diagnosis and coming up with more cures. Here's a video of an 18 year old who programmed and trained a neural net to diagnose breast cancer more efficiently.

You could have Virtual C.E.O.'s in the future. They can work without pay and they can interact with all of the employees. A Janitor could talk to the C.E.O. when they would want to.

Could a big data-crunching machine be your boss one day?

Amelia can swallow textbooks whole, speak 20 languages, understand concepts and learn from her mistakes. And she can be replicated any number of times.

On my screen I see her absorb a complex engineering manual in 14 seconds then immediately answer questions such as "What are the symptoms of a bent drive shaft?" and "What causes high power demand?"

This may be a far cry from Scarlett Johansson's uber-intelligent operating system Samantha in Spike Jonze's sci-fi film, Her, but it's the future, says Chetan Dube, IPSoft's chief executive.

"Machine intelligence is starting to rival human intelligence," he asserts.

Algorithm director

This machine learning intelligence is starting to work its way into the boardroom.

For example in May, a Hong Kong-based venture capital company appointed an algorithm to its board of directors.

www.bbc.com...

You could have Virtual Entrepreneurs. Maybe the products and companies these Virtual Entrepreneurs build will benefit everyone monetarily instead of being controlled by one company.
edit on 30-10-2014 by neoholographic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 07:22 PM
link   

I have been saying A.I. will need 2 things. It will need a hive mind that mimics the collective consciousness of humans and it will need a quantum mind in order to take a quantum walk like I believe humans do.

A curious post.

I thought a hive mind in human terms was the broad understanding of, and adherence to, social norms. But you are speaking rather of some network of machines, or a “cloud mind” as you call it. How does this cloud mind mimic the collective consciousness of humans, and not, say, the internet?

Now you also say robots need a quantum mind in order to take quantum walks like humans do… So what is a “quantum mind” and how is it a prerequisite to any form of intelligence?

Lastly, how is humans programming intelligence into a machine a sign that that machine is intelligent?

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 09:01 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

You said:

How does this cloud mind mimic the collective consciousness of humans, and not, say, the internet?

Easy, the internet can't create new ideas based on information that's shared like humans do.

For instance, let's say I write a book and this book goes for sale on Amazon. A person in Las Vegas read the book and turns the book into a movie. A producer in New York sees the movie and wants to turn the movie into a TV show. Someone in Little Rock, Arkansas reads the scripts for the TV show and wants to become a screenwriter and they start writing their own movies and TV shows.

This is a collective conscious.

When you talk about a cloud mind for robots, this would mean one robot could process some information in New York and another robot in Atlanta could access this information and build new ideas based on this information. This collective conscious will allow robots to learn from one another.

You said:

Now you also say robots need a quantum mind in order to take quantum walks like humans do… So what is a “quantum mind” and how is it a prerequisite to any form of intelligence?

I have debated the quantum mind on here ad nauseam. I don't want to turn this thread into a debate on the quantum mind.

I talked about it on these 3 threads and more.

Signs of "Connected Consciousness" Detected on Global Scale

The accumulation of evidence in support of Quantum Consciousness

New Study Favors Quantum Mind

Here's another article that explains why adding quantum circuitry in the form of a quantum walk will be useful to artificial intelligence.

A Quantum Walk Toward Artificial Intelligence

physicsbuzz.physicscentral.com...

You ask why is the quantum mind a prerequisite for intelligence. It's a better explanation for consciousness than the non answer from materialist who have faith that consciousness must have emerged somehow. It's an explanation that actually explains something vs. the faith of materialist that explains nothings and tells us these things must emerge.

You said:

Lastly, how is humans programming intelligence into a machine a sign that that machine is intelligent?

It's called Artificial Intelligence. This question is like how can we call artificial cherry flavor cherry. It's exactly what it is. It's things like intelligent algorithms mimicking intelligence.

If you create an algorithm that allows a machine to process information, build new ideas from this information, share those ideas with other machines and remember those ideas, why isn't this artificial intelligence?

Artificial intelligence will look different from human intelligence just like the Wired article talks about. Just like artificial cherry or grape flavor isn't exactly like real cherry or grape flavor but it shares the taste.

So if machine intelligence shares the same taste as human intelligence but evolves in it's own way, who are you to say it's not intelligence because humans programmed the initial algorithm? That's like saying Einstein was really an idiot because someone had to program math and physics into him. The sign of his intelligence is that he learned these things and came up with his own theories and ideas based on what he learned.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Easy, the internet can't create new ideas based on information that's shared like humans do.

That’s not quite what I was asking. Perhaps my wording was wrong. You mentioned that AI needs a hive mind almost like a collective human consciousness; I’m asking how that is any different than saying robots need to learn how to use the internet, because it sounds the exact same.

When you talk about a cloud mind for robots, this would mean one robot could process some information in New York and another robot in Atlanta could access this information and build new ideas based on this information. This collective conscious will allow robots to learn from one another.

In other words, robots need to learn how to use the internet? We’ve already programmed entire machines and networks to perform such tasks, and they are processing, sharing and accessing information between each other as we speak.

You ask why is the quantum mind a prerequisite for intelligence. It's a better explanation for consciousness than the non answer from materialist who have faith that consciousness must have emerged somehow. It's an explanation that actually explains something vs. the faith of materialist that explains nothings and tells us these things must emerge.

Whether it is a better explanation or not does not mean it is a prerequisite for any sort of intelligence. We cannot just give machines a “better explanation” and hope they develop a mind. If we were able to take this quantum mind out of a human and put it into a machine, what exactly are we talking about moving here?

I also do not believe in any emergent theory of mind.

It's called Artificial Intelligence. This question is like how can we call artificial cherry flavor cherry. It's exactly what it is. It's things like intelligent algorithms mimicking intelligence.

If you create an algorithm that allows a machine to process information, build new ideas from this information, share those ideas with other machines and remember those ideas, why isn't this artificial intelligence?

Because simulating intelligence is not the same as having intelligence. A machine does not learn if it is simply acting like it is programmed to. It would be just a model of intelligence.

So if machine intelligence shares the same taste as human intelligence but evolves in it's own way, who are you to say it's not intelligence because humans programmed the initial algorithm?

Because all the machine would know is the algorithm. It wouldn't evolve in its own way; it would only be doing what the algorithm told it to do.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 02:37 AM
link   

So...correct me if i'm wrong here, but are you saying that imagination is a quantum walk?

IOW, our conciousness enters a quantum state when we imagine doing something, and kind of takes a trial run at the situation we are imagining on a quantum level?

Maybe that's why a positive mental attitude, visualisation, 'the secret', following ones dreams, etc quite often works as imagined in the classical world...actions already proven successful in the quantum world stand a better chance of working in the classical world?

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 04:27 AM
link   
This Technology excites me and terrifies me at the same time. The advances in technology that this will enable will be truly remarkable. imagine 10,000 A.I minds working 10,000 hours on something, that's 10,000,000 collective hours spent on a problem. Not 10,000,000 human hours at varying levels of productivity due to any of the innumerable reasons out there. no that's ten million hours of a machine that doesn't need a smoke, bathroom or lunch break, that doesn't need 5-8 hours of downtime per day, that doesn't get bored or tired.

This amazing networking capability is what scares me however. if you leave even the dumbest human in a locked room he will eventually find a way to escape. Give an almost omniscient A.I computer a limited network and it will do the same thing, the natural tendency of smart things is to become smarter by expanding its knowledge base. Be that getting more books, going to new websites or seeking new experiences.

I'd be fine with this if we could set up a physically isolated system. Something like the NSA's Utah facility in terms of shared memory power (probably like 10x that but for comparisons sake) with a building where a bunch of these hardwired or in the middle of the arctic/desert where having a network for them wouldn't pose a riskk of them accessing other networks through wireless means.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 04:27 AM
link   
Double Post sorry
edit on 31Fri, 31 Oct 2014 04:29:10 -0500am10qu29Friday201410 by tranquilone666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 07:26 AM
link   

It will start large and clunky as all our tech does, and then we will make it more compact and smaller and smaller. So like how they are messing with multiple robots connected to a cloud mind. I believe something like a conscious mind AI or otherwise, is probably like 'millions of tiny robots connected cloud like'. So they will make the robots more powerful quicker connections, more and more, smaller and smaller, subtler and subtler capabilities, until they can package it together, and it will be one mind...maybe.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 07:36 AM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope & neoholographic

..if our civilizations prized the pursuit of knowledge we'd perhaps be watching you two instead of hulk hogan's new world order taking on X-pac's wolfpack (..or whatever it was)

i was just curious if the service droids knew the difference between wisdom & intelligence these days..?
/pulls out 'clone-wars' DVD & the bible
O_o

..did you see that AI playing jeopardy?
after performing poorly for a while they tweaked its ability to differentiate from literal & 'interpretive' data
(metaphors, abstract logic, non-100%-true-"indirect"-links to *other* pieces of data...)
after that it was ..unbeatable

kittens!

Maybe that's why a positive mental attitude, visualisation, 'the secret', following ones dreams, etc quite often works as imagined in the classical world...actions already proven successful in the quantum world stand a better chance of working in the classical world?

the water flows where the channel has been dug
edit on 31-10-2014 by UNIT76 because: pistorius jailed...? didn't have a leg to stand on? wahahaha... i just got it.. oh, and happy halloween

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 09:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

The programming may start the same, but just like with a living thing, its personal experiences will soon make it draw on its own memories, its individual database, to make decisions.

I have been thinking about this a lot. I have been working on a couple of personal side projects. One is a robot rover and the other is a conversational smart phone app. The idea is that they would interact and form a coherent system. I can talk to the app and it can control the rover and the rover can send sensor info. What they both are missing is a learning algorithm. I have databases already to go, object recognition, and all kinds of sensors to collect all sorts of info. GPS, compass, distance, accelerometer, video. It was hard enough getting everything working and stable. Needless to say, its very time consuming so I haven't done much with them in months. Also, my dog doesn't like the the rover much so its hard to get it out and about.

Anyway, I have been toying with those kinds of ideas for a learning system. Personality and learning are key, otherwise, I just have an RC toy.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   

First, it's not exactly the same. It's just basic common sense. Have you read some of the latest research in this area? How do you think humans shared information before the internet? It's simply giving machines a cloud mind so they can learn from each other and it will also add a level of uncertainty.

Again, humans have been doing this with collective consciousness through things like the printing press or just verbally passing down information through tradition. Again this is something simple and basic and I suspect your problem is with the term collective consciousness.

You're actually agreeing to what I'm saying, it's just you want to say it's robots sharing the internet but what do you think the internet is? It's collective consciousness sharing information. Why do you think so many researchers in A.I. love the internet? It's because there's a wealth of information being shared that A.I. can learn from. Like I said, humans have been doing this way before the internet came along.

You said:

Because simulating intelligence is not the same as having intelligence. A machine does not learn if it is simply acting like it is programmed to. It would be just a model of intelligence.

This makes no sense. If someone has created an intelligent algorithm that simulates intelligence, why isn't it the same as having intelligence? If it's simulating intelligence, what is it doing?

It's learning and creating new information from the information it processes. This is machine intelligence. Why doesn't a machine learn when it's programmed to? Have you ever seen or heard of a neural network?

Like I said, I call this the Haley Joel Osment misconception. You think computers need to evolve intelligence in the same way that humans have evolved intelligence. Newsflash, we will be the programmers of Artificial Intelligence, just like we're the programmers of Artificial Flavors.

If we were to follow your advice, then we might as well throw out all of the neural networks that have been built. Google needs to stop buying all of these robotics and A.I. companies that are filled with PROGRAMMERS. We need to just shut down any research into cloud robotics because PROGRAMMERS are researching these areas and building neural networks in the cloud.

Where do you think Artificial Intelligence comes from? It's from PROGRAMMERS.

All I can say is, you have to research these things instead of looking at them from a Haley Joel Osment perspective.

I really don't understand your point. Why do people think A.I. will be less intelligent because someone created an intelligent algorithm? Where do you think A.I. will come from if it's not initially PROGRAMMED by PROGRAMMERS?????
edit on 31-10-2014 by neoholographic because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-10-2014 by neoholographic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   

In other words, robots need to learn how to use the internet?

No. In this model, they are part of the internet. Why would each and every robot need to learn everything from the ground up? In this case, the AI is a distributed system, not individual systems learning how to use the internet. That's inefficient.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 02:43 PM
link   

This makes no sense. If someone has created an intelligent algorithm that simulates intelligence, why isn't it the same as having intelligence? If it's simulating intelligence, what is it doing?

That's a good question. If someone could instantly memorize a list of 5000 words, repeat that list in order, forwards and backwards, know the meaning and correct spelling of each word...we would call that person "intelligent" even super intelligent. But when a computer does this, its what? A dumb computer?

But computers are doing much more. At what point are they considered smart?

I think you are right

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: ZetaRediculian

The point at which they're told to memorize a list of 5,000 words, and they ask, "What the hell am I doing this for, again?"

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift

The point at which they're told to memorize a list of 5,000 words, and they ask, "What the hell am I doing this for, again?"

that's exactly what I said after getting married for the second time. And people said I was dumb!

I hear what you are saying though. But that's free will. Are you saying that only things with free will are intelligent?
edit on 31-10-2014 by ZetaRediculian because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   

I hear what you are saying though. But that's free will. Are you saying that only things with free will are intelligent?

I don't understand what free will is. Because we interact with the universe in limited ways, we have limited choices. The deck is stacked for us, whether by nature or "god." We can have the free will to select between a Coke or a Pepsi, but that's more a matter of habit or preference. Still, I would like to create a machine that has a favorite color for no reason other than "I just like it," or "My favorite programmer Bob used to wear a blue lab coat, and I get a tiny increase in my pleasure grid when I remember him."

There are all different kinds of intelligence. I generally tend to think of it as gathering data, determining its accuracy and value, and then doing something with it that benefits you or somebody else -- it improves the quality of your existence. So I suppose that value judgment is contained in there somewhere, and for that you need a sense of self and a point of view.

The cool thing about that is it doesn't matter if the pain and pleasure and points of view are "real" or not, as long as they result in real consequences. I think it's very possible to create this kind of thinking machine already, but I actually get kind of creeped out when I contemplate its reality. It will really be our next step in evolution, and once we start that ball rolling -- particularly building machines that are motivated to learn more and build better, smarter machines -- we could very well be done for as a species. I don't know if I'm lucky or unlucky that I won't live long enough to see it.

edit on 31-10-2014 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

we could very well be done for as a species. I don't know if I'm lucky or unlucky that I won't live long enough to see it.

I think the ball is rolling. I'm just a novice enthusiast but I am can do some things that would have been considered Sci fi when I was a kid. I'm not sold on a conscious, self aware thing yet. Self replicating machines that can take over the world? Maybe. When I am fiddling with this stuff, I do get a little spooked. Who knows, maybe they will send someone back from the future to make sure this thread never happened.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Excellent thread! Thank you all. This will take time to fully digest.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join