It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sikh student allowed to bring religous sword to school

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 05:23 PM
link   
One of my closest friends at school was a sikh. Yes I believe it was at 16 years of age he is required to carry a Kipan. This is to be concealed at all times due to religious purposes.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 05:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: CaptanMad
One of my closest friends at school was a sikh. Yes I believe it was at 16 years of age he is required to carry a Kipan. This is to be concealed at all times due to religious purposes.

Oh well. As long as he doesn't go to school, work, commute, or breathe he is free to live his life.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: American-philosopher

Yeah, I get that. This particular incident was pre-9/11 so people we're maybe a little more open minded to the idea of a kid bringing a sword to school, I'd seriously doubt it would pass today, especially after the Parliament Hill shooting last week.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I mean wait... What am I talking about. A bunch of brown skinned folks flew planes into NY using box cutters. These people clearly need to go. This is the only way to have freedom. Remove gun shaped pop tarts and pointy objects from children. But it's only fair!

Matter of fact let's go ahead and bomb them. Why? Idk... But children are bringing knives into school so we might as well use our military budget to offset the retardation of our public education system.

China! I'm looking at you. All smart at maths and stuff. 2+2= depleted uranium add that to your abacus!!!!
edit on 29-10-2014 by nukedog because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Would we trust a child playing with fire, driving vehicles, handle shotguns, cleavers, axes,etc

What if that kid was caught up in a fight? or being bullied? or got really angry

I don't care how peaceful their religion is, Never a child should be trusted to act responsible or think rational.

Traditions and religions should not compromise the safety of others.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Where I come from is very white bread, but there was a handful of black/Muslim/Hindu/Sikh types - mainly because their folks worked at the hospital.

The Sikh lads wore a little sword shaped pin on their jackets. That fulfilled their obligation and caused no fuss.

I always thought their pins were cool, tbf. Just goes to show that most things can be accommodated with a little thought.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 06:33 PM
link   
a reply to: American-philosopher

I don't see an issue here at all.

If the schools can allow a cross or religious token or symbol to be worn by anyone then this should be allowed as well.

It's a religious issue.

Not a weapons issue.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Here is the question that they should be asking: Would they allow a student to bring in say a live snake? Or live stock? What about something more prominent such as a staff? Or a metal rod? Would they be content to allow for some child to have illegal narcotics in a bag?

Once they open that door, they can no longer deny anyone the right to have symbols of their religion.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 07:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: sdcigarpig

Here is the question that they should be asking: Would they allow a student to bring in say a live snake? Or live stock? What about something more prominent such as a staff? Or a metal rod? Would they be content to allow for some child to have illegal narcotics in a bag?

Once they open that door, they can no longer deny anyone the right to have symbols of their religion.

So your worst case scenario in this situation is a child bringing in a live snake, a chicken, a piece of wood or a piece of metal. I'm sorry but I'm no professional debater and this smacks of non sequitur

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 08:07 PM
link   
And don't tell me scissors are weapons either.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 08:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

originally posted by: NoCorruptionAllowed

Religious freedom is only allowed, (actually grandstanded) for Muslims right now, and it is being done to spite that other religion and to be used as a political tool against that other religion. I would mention what that is but you know exactly which one I mean and so does everyone else who can be honest about this.

Sikhs are not Muslims. Source Different deity, different holy book, different origin.

In that light, the rest of your post is irrelevant.

In that light it might be, but not for the liberal elite left. AS LONG AS IT ISN'T CHRISTIAN it fits the agenda, and that is exactly what we are seeing happening. Nice try at deflection, however my point still holds true and fits here like a glove.

The nomenclature not being exact or the holy book it goes by not being Muslim makes no difference.

In that light my reply holds true and is plenty relevant.
As long as it isn't Christian, it probably isn't a right wing conservative and that is all they are being used by the left for. The left keeps on patronizing these non Christians for their own desires and goals without actually giving a real flying eff about them at all. This is the most obvious part every time some dingbat schoolmarm runs to the defence of some idiot so they can bring their "non Christian religious sword" to class.
edit on 29-10-2014 by NoCorruptionAllowed because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 08:28 PM
link   
a reply to: nukedog

Anything can be a weapon. Plastic spork, headphones. When guns and sharp knives are banned people will become creative and use whatever's around them; besides buying weapons on the black market.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 08:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Yeahkeepwatchingme

Anything can be a weapon. Plastic spork, headphones. When guns and sharp knives are banned people will become creative and use whatever's around them; besides buying weapons on the black market.

Well then to be fair, we have to appease the toe line steppers and relieve children of their hands. Harsh maybe. Ludicrous no doubt. But that's the only way these right wing and left wing people can get along. Never mind all the crazies.

We need sweeping legislation across the board!!!

Yes children watch messed up shows with their patents. Yes they run around with plastic guns and shoot at each other. Yes they are taught that their parents bomb countries for little to no reason. Yes they play xbox call of duty games. Yes they listen to candy rapperz.

By god, taking a knife to school as part of your religious obligation is crossing the line!!!!

Where are those "separation of church and state," lawsuits when you need them???

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Every child needs to be fitted with a suit that monitors each movement. If a child moves in a way that isn't pre-approved for the situation/activity then the police should be notified and restraints administered

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 09:31 PM
link   

What if the child is from a family that practices voodoo? The snake is a symbol of said religion. Santaria (check spelling) would use say a chicken. In some pagan beliefs, the staff, rod, knife and sickle are all tools of such belief. Even some native american tribes and those that are earth based would be allowed to have some narcotics on them as it is a part of their beliefs.

And then you have those who are of the Judaic beliefs, do we now allow for them to have their symbols of faith on them, where they can now use such to bully and persecute those who are not? Funny I wonder how the school would deal with say those who follow Zohar, and have to make accomidations for such.

And all of them would prevail in a court, based off of the cases that came out of OK.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 09:36 PM
link   

If they can suspend children for playing say cowboys and indians, or make believe war, or even drawing a weapon, all on a zero tolerance policy of weapons, then it should not be violated at all. It opens a dangerous door, that once opened is hard to close. And what happens if that child pulls that blade out and uses it on another child, then what do they tell the parents? Do you honestly think that the parents are going to sit idly by and be so tolerant, or willingly to understand? No. And you can bet your bottom dollar that they are going to demand that their child be allowed to have reprenstation of their personal religious belief without any reprecutions.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 09:48 PM
link   
a reply to: sdcigarpig

I respect your stance but I find fault with it.

A zero tolerance policy should never be crossed?

No, it should never have been.

"If it was your child," arguments are a non starter. It's the same argument that people like dick Cheney use to bomb children half way across the globe.

That being said, I have zero problems with my son attending class in a school where knives and guns are to be expected. A shike with a religious dagger is the least of my worries. My point is, as soon as you start passing this kind of legislation you get kids getting harassed because they made a gun sign and said "pew pew."

Yes this world is a crazy messed up place but a shike boy with a religious respect for personal preservation is the last thing we should be concerned about.

People that want to cry about double standards need to read some history (not you)
edit on 29-10-2014 by nukedog because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Stop being haters.... if you could bring a sword to school you know you would.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Many sikh's have more then one Kirpan and have one that is sealed into the sheath and has no edge on it.
This is the one most likely carried in public.

They also may have real Kirpan ceremonial sword for wear at religious events.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 10:17 PM
link   
a reply to: skalla

i have axes under my bed

lol, why?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join