It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sikh student allowed to bring religous sword to school

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   
a reply to: StoutBroux

Lol I saw this coming a mile away. I was just waiting for it.

Here's what you should do:

1) quit being offended
2) go read a book

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   
a reply to: nukedog

I am not on the school board setting policy! I am not setting precedence of suspending kids form schools of holding a color crayon and going pew pew. That's not me I am not advocating.

I am advocating for fairness across the board! of everyone adhering to the same set of rules! that's all I am advocating for.

we just had a horrific gun shooting at a school here. So don't come with your BS that I am trying take guns!

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: American-philosopher

I never said that. What are you so defensive about?

You want zero tolerance for kids going "pew pew" with pop tarts?

No?

You want zero religious expression in public schools?

No?

Sorry but I'm not following your logic. I agree this is a double standard but I'm not prepared to go ape dookie over it

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Because if you really want to get PHILOSOPHICAL one of the things AMERICA is about is fairness and equal rights.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 03:40 PM
link   
As stated by Slayer, it's a pocket knife so it's a simple matter of "no".

I went to school in the uk in the late 70's through 80's with many Sikhs and had some good Sikh friends in neighbouring streets. None carried a Kirpan, and even long before the ban on carrying knives it was very rare to see anyone wearing one, though ofc it did happen.

But, blunt or not it's just too much. Should Rastafari kids be able to smoke a chalice at lunchtime? Perhaps a child of a Sadhu can smoke a chillum and eat flesh from graveyards too? I'm half Scottish and frankly would feel rather natty wearing a Sgian Dubh but i realise it aint gonna happen.

Regardless of faith it's just a step too far and entirely unreasonable, if only because trusting a minor to ensure that a knife is safe a school at all times is plain daft and asking for trouble.

On a more facetious note, at least Muslim haters will like this, seeing as the Sikhs killed gazillions of the pesky blighters with their blades and rifles. You don't #### with a Sikh, they are a warrior culture.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 03:43 PM
link   
That mystery meat is getting harder to cut every year. So no problem, bring your sword to school day can become a regular thing. Show and tell was never so cutting edge.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 03:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: American-philosopher

Because if you really want to get PHILOSOPHICAL one of the things AMERICA is about is fairness and equal rights.

Ummm.... Says who exactly? Is that the ideal? I think it is but it has zero precedence.

You want to stop little shike boys from carrying little daggers hidden under their turbans or whatever (and I fail to see how this even amounts to a hill of beans,) here's what you have to do:

1) get really offended
2) get a bunch of monies
3) sew the pants off everybody that didn't do what you wanted

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: skalla
As stated by Slayer, it's a pocket knife so it's a simple matter of "no".

I went to school in the uk in the late 70's through 80's with many Sikhs and had some good Sikh friends in neighbouring streets. None carried a Kirpan, and even long before the ban on carrying knives it was very rare to see anyone wearing one, though ofc it did happen.

But, blunt or not it's just too much. Should Rastafari kids be able to smoke a chalice at lunchtime? Perhaps a child of a Sadhu can smoke a chillum and eat flesh from graveyards too? I'm half Scottish and frankly would feel rather natty wearing a Sgian Dubh but i realise it aint gonna happen.

Regardless of faith it's just a step too far and entirely unreasonable, if only because trusting a minor to ensure that a knife is safe a school at all times is plain daft and asking for trouble.

On a more facetious note, at least Muslim haters will like this, seeing as the Sikhs killed gazillions of the pesky blighters with their blades and rifles. You don't #### with a Sikh, they are a warrior culture.

I fail to see how a blade in the hands of a minor is some sort of rights trampling risk. Heck, I had one in boy scouts. Did I cut myself? Hell yes. I'm not a good Boy Scout lol

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Sikh.

And see, it did what it was intended to do. Taught me something about a religion and culture I had not really explored. I dig the part about carrying swords and daggers all your life.

Today I learned....sometimes we smear double standards over interesting topics.

Oh wait, I guess I knew that.

Way to be original ATS, way to be original.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 03:54 PM
link   

My hands are a tissue of knife, chisel and rasp scars, both old and new, i have axes under my bed and carve wood on the sofa at night when the wife aint here.. that's all good and healthy.

On topic though, if the other kids in school cant carry knives, sooner or later someone will take this kids kirpan and then it'll be an issue. Be it because someone uses the thing inappropriately, or because the family go wailing about their religious items not being respected by schoolkids. It's just silly.

Take a knife to camp, that's practical. Take a pencil sharpener to school.

I never mentioned trampling rights either, no idea where you got that from?

link   
a reply to: skalla

Rasta is so overshadowed in misinformation it's not even funny. I say pass the chalice and make sure the kutchie's never empty. At least they're not hurting anybody, like most followers of religion.

link   

originally posted by: MrSpad
The thing is tiny and hardly a weapon anymore than a fork at lunch is. It seems they have been doing this for years and it has never been a problem. Sikhs are hard for people to understand because they are not and old testiment religion like Judaism, Christianity and Islam. If this has not been an issue before then why would we suddenly try and make it one?

They are a non-dualistic religion that believes all is one single whole connected with each other where they meditate to become one with that whole (god). One of their ideas is that all religions are sources of inspiration towards the same god so Sikh do not try to convert people towards there religion if they have another religion.

If they are real spiritual seekers then I do not feel afraid around a Sikh with any weapon since they will not harm even a fly with it. But then I would not be afraid of any Sufi (Islam mystic) either with a weapon either.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

Me too, but smoking a heap of sensi never helped me learn Maths and French as well as a clear head.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Religious freedom is only allowed, (actually grandstanded) for Muslims right now, and it is being done to spite that other religion and to be used as a political tool against that other religion. I would mention what that is but you know exactly which one I mean and so does everyone else who can be honest about this.

This is because the elite liberal left like the Harry Reid's, and the Obama types have labelled all conservatives as Christians in stereotypical fashion, and so putting Muslims on stage as the newly anointed ones is a lashing out spiting effort against conservatives and the "Christian right". They used to say "religious right", but now with this new Muslim bandwagon, it's been properly adjusted. They also know that Muslims usually don't like Christians and cut their heads off overseas fairly regularly.

That means Muslims sure aren't going to be voting republican, and the liberal elite think this will get them more votes. Their is no limit in the kinds of personal degradation they won't lower themselves to get re-elected. thus here we are! I think that accurately sums up truth pretty much.

The schools are also very extremely liberally run by Obama worshiping teachers and administrators, and so they are simply playing "follow the leader" otherwise we would never see such a ridiculous thing like this being allowed in the first place.

Same exact thing we see when an idiot Obama worshiping teacher who has lost all sense of thinking for themselves makes a big "freak out" for a kid showing a shape of a gun in his Spaghettio's at lunch time and they call in the swat team to save the day.

edit on 29-10-2014 by NoCorruptionAllowed because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 04:02 PM
link   

You were doing it wrong.

Or in french.
Vous faisiez mal

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 04:03 PM
link   
a reply to: NoCorruptionAllowed

Voodoo?

Damn zombie making, snake worshippers. Good reason to carry a sword.
edit on 29-10-2014 by Thorneblood because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Thorneblood

I experimented extensively with big rizlas and school and feel like i know the subject pretty well

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 04:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: American-philosopher

I am advocating for fairness across the board! of everyone adhering to the same set of rules! that's all I am advocating for.

What are you? Some sort of radical!?

edit on 29-10-2014 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Idk I just went extreme by saying you were for trampling religious rights. I have no issue with this. I seriously don't. But I can see how people would be in the all or nothing camp. I admit it's a double standard but the only people that will get offended are the kinds of people that got us into this mess. Intolerant pig heads.

And I don't care which end of the religious, political or otherwise spectrum you are. If you feel the need to shout at the top of your lungs about pop tarts shaped like guns or little ceremonial daggers you are part of the problem.
edit on 29-10-2014 by nukedog because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Well from a personal POV i think the political spectrum is BS and i only shout at the top of my lungs when i stub my toe or the Wolves win.

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join