It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aluminum Patch From Amelia Earhart's Plane Conclusively Identified

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 08:09 AM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Well it only took 80 years.

Hopefully it won't take that long to find the most recent missing plane.

RIP Amelia, you opened the skies and kept your world dreaming of adventures.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 08:12 AM
link   
i admit i have not read too much but from what i have read i just dont see the mystery.

i mean she attempted to fly across the globe back in the days when aviation/radar was in its infancy....she did not make it.

where is the mystery?

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 09:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: MysterX

originally posted by: theantediluvian
a reply to: Auricom

Coconut crabs are horrifying.

Is that an actual crab or a model?

Bloody thing looks like an alien.

It does look like an alien. Can you imagine waking up in the middle of the night, surrounded by dozens of these things? WTF?!?!?!?!?!

I really hope that was not their faith. What happened to the pig should not happen to people.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: CardiffGiant
i admit i have not read too much but from what i have read i just dont see the mystery.

i mean she attempted to fly across the globe back in the days when aviation/radar was in its infancy....she did not make it.

where is the mystery?

The mystery is: "Where did she go and what happened to her?" I mean, really?

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   
To be fair, partial human remains which fit the bill for a female of her size and age and also male remains fitting Noonan's age and size were found by the British on the island in 1940 but have since been lost. A photo taken not long after her disappearance, also taken by the Brits, but which was also lost until recently may show the aircraft partially submerged near the island as well, so this mystery could have been solved a log time ago were it not for some basic human errors and lack of communication.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: jaffo

let me solve it for you.
her plane crashed somewhere in the ocean......if you dont know, its a big ass ocean...makes it hard to find stuff

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: CardiffGiant

She was a hugely popular pubic figure in her day. Plus she was female.
Without a body it's hard to let go.

Imagine if your favorite figure disappeared. You would want to solve the mystery too.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: samkent

its cool. i just dont get it...
does not seem like a mystery to me....

tried to fly across the globe in the 30's....didnt make it..
nothing mysterious about it.....

if she would have went missing walking from her house to the store or something then i would say its a mystery

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   

let me solve it for you.
her plane crashed somewhere in the ocean......if you dont know, its a big ass ocean...makes it hard to find stuff

Um, yeah, hence the mystery. WHERE did she crash, WHY did she crash, and WHERE are the remains of she and her co-pilot and the plane. My God, why are you so offended that people would try and find the answers to these questions? Don't care? THEN DON'T READ ABOUT IT.
edit on 31-10-2014 by jaffo because: Spelling error.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   

not offended....never said i was...

pretty likely that she crashed in the water...
poor planning......

do people really expect to find any of her remains after all this time?

lotsa water out there

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   

not offended....never said i was...

pretty likely that she crashed in the water...
poor planning......

do people really expect to find any of her remains after all this time?

lotsa water out there

Well that's the thing. If she landed on or near the island and then died there, remains may yet be found. Like I said above, the Brits actually found remains on the island in 1940 which were quite possibly hers and Noonan's but they have now been lost. It would be comforting to her family and just generally nice for everyone if we knew what happened. If she went down in open water, we'll probably never know the real story. But given what these guys have turned up and given what we now know we overlooked for a long time in terms of the photos taken shortly after the loss and the radio signals that we now *know* were sent out for five days afterwards, and given the remains that were found in 1940, we may very well be getting close to finally solving one of our most enduring mysteries. I'd like to see that day.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 08:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: SLAYER69
Great post

I wonder how this may play into another theory that she and the Co-pilot were later rescued by the Japanese and supposedly either held prisoners and or were executed as possible spies. Now I'm not bringing this up to muddy the waters. But that rumor becomes more feasible if wreckage was found. It didn't have much in proof because previous to this there was no supposed wreckage ever found and it was widely believed they ditched in the ocean and drowned.

Here's a little something, something for those who like Conspiracies...

The Amelia Earhart Conspiracy

More eye-witness accounts place Earhart and Noonan in Garapan Prison on the island of Saipan during World War II, and there may be proof.

In 1944, 7 years after Earhart went missing, US marines overcame the Japanese forces on Saipan. One marine thinks he found crucial evidence during that mission which backs up the eye-witness accounts. Robert Wallack believe he found Earhart’s personal documents in a safe on the bombed-out military base. The documents, held in a briefcase, included Amelia’s passport and visas. If Wallack still had the documents the evidence would be compelling, but he turned them over to an officer, never to be seen again.

The only clues that remain are several questionable inscriptions found in the prison. If Earhart and Noonan were held in Garapan Prison, the big question is ‘What happened to them?’

The eye-witness accounts of their demise are varied. Some say that they were beheaded, others that Earhart died from dysentery and Noonan was shot. Wallack says he was shown to an unmarked grave site by a Saipanese woman who saw a white woman and a man buried there. But it all falls short of physical proof.

Senior officers in the US Navy including Admiral Chester Nimitz were quoted by reporters to have said the rumours of Earhart’s capture were true.

If the eye-witness accounts depicting Earhart as a POW are true it might explain the US Government’s history of secrecy over the whole Earhart mystery.

Another explanation for the secrecy could have it’s basis in yet another theory. Some argue that it was no accident that Earhart ended up in Japanese territory. They believe she was on a mission to help the US Navy gather intelligence and her famous flight was the perfect cover. Spy theorists believe Earhart was recruited shortly after an earlier round-the-world attempt had failed.

She had completed the first leg, flying from California to Hawaii. The second leg would take her across the Pacific from Honolulu to Howland Island but on take-off her aircraft span out of control and crashed. Earhart was lucky to get out alive. The theory is that while her plane was being repaired, the US military arranged to meet her.

Colonel Rollin Reineck, a veteran navigator from the Pacific in World War II, has spent 30 years scrutinising the Earhart mystery. He believes the US military offered to take over the logistics and funding for Earhart’s second round-the-world attempt. But there were strings attached.

Now that's interesting Im begining to believe that any major events in history involves our government everyday I run into another conspiracy...lol, thanks for the link...I found this bit intrigueing something I've not heard of,

The final most controversial part of the theory lies with the fate of Earhart. Reineck is convinced she survived the war and returned to the United States under the cover of a New Jersey housewife, using the name Irene Bolam

Irene Bolam
To me it looks like a possible older Amelia I find this very compelling

Now, Tod Swindell, a professional screenwriter and producer, has produced forensic photographic work which he believes proves this theory true. “My conclusion on the forensic evidence is that the woman identified as Irene Craigmile Bolam from 1945 until 1982 definitely was the former Amelia Earhart”.
Using photo overlay techniques, commonly used to identify corpses. Swindell has scrutinised the facial details of Irene Bolam overlaid with photos of Amelia Earhart. He claims they appear to be a perfect match, right down to the tear ducts.
The evidence seems persuasive, but not everyone is convinced. Amelia’s sister, Muriel Morrissey has stated, emphatically, that Irene is not her sister.

link
edit on 1-11-2014 by TWILITE22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 08:49 AM
link   

a reply to: samkent

its cool. i just dont get it...
does not seem like a mystery to me....

tried to fly across the globe in the 30's....didnt make it..
nothing mysterious about it.....

if she would have went missing walking from her house to the store or something then i would say its a mystery
it's the same thing should we run every mystery by you? how about to each his own? lol...
Another thing I don't understand if I'm not interested in a conspiracy I click out,I'm not trying to slam you but I don't get it.
The mystery is what happened to her she just disappeared from a plane instead of a house.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   
It hasn't really been "Conclusively Identified". Lots of aviation historians and enthusiasts have their doubts over this latest from TIGHAR.

The piece of Aluminum has stencils on it that identify it coming from 1940s production.

forum.keypublishing.com...

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Not that you would expect to find anything like a perfume bottle or zit cream.
Well at least this thread isn't in danger of gliding into the Pan demic forum

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 08:00 AM
link   

from the OP:

The International Group for Historic Aircraft Recovery (TIGHAR) recovered a 19-inch-wide by 23-inch-long piece of aluminum debris in a 1991 expedition to unihabited Nikumaroro Island, part of the Phoenix Islands, Kiribati,
located about 400 miles (640 km) southeast of Howland Island, Earhart's intended destination.

Well... right there, the underlined part... is reason enough for the US Government Agencies to cover-up or else seize evidence and shroud the whole disappearance in mystery...

being 400 nautical miles off course sure was not likely by accident... the flight was intentionally diverted some 400 miles off course as part of a spy/ intelligence gathering operation

unless the artifacts were planted there: by USA or by Japan for their own different reasons
there seems to be layer upon layer of conspiracy going on here

edit on nd30141493720202062014 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Did they find the rest of the plane? Isn't it just a little bit strange that they happened to find this "patch" and nothing else?

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 05:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: tommyjo
It hasn't really been "Conclusively Identified". Lots of aviation historians and enthusiasts have their doubts over this latest from TIGHAR.

The piece of Aluminum has stencils on it that identify it coming from 1940s production.

That's interesting if it's true about the stamping from Alcoa. That would be difficult if not impossible to refute.
edit on 2014-11-2 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 07:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: St Udio

from the OP:

The International Group for Historic Aircraft Recovery (TIGHAR) recovered a 19-inch-wide by 23-inch-long piece of aluminum debris in a 1991 expedition to unihabited Nikumaroro Island, part of the Phoenix Islands, Kiribati,
located about 400 miles (640 km) southeast of Howland Island, Earhart's intended destination.

Well... right there, the underlined part... is reason enough for the US Government Agencies to cover-up or else seize evidence and shroud the whole disappearance in mystery...

being 400 nautical miles off course sure was not likely by accident... the flight was intentionally diverted some 400 miles off course as part of a spy/ intelligence gathering operation

unless the artifacts were planted there: by USA or by Japan for their own different reasons
there seems to be layer upon layer of conspiracy going on here

I'm sorry, but this is just plain crazy talk with no basis in fact whatsoever. She WAS NOT a fantastic pilot. There are MANY VALID REASONS to be 400 miles off course. You do realize that this was not the GPS era and tat navigating solo across the Pacific was pretty much next to impossible, right? She got lost and ditched, plain and simple. Seriously, you are reaaaallly stretching it with the "layer upon layer of conspiracy" thing, IMO. No evidence of a conspiracy at all here.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join