It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FBI net closing on ‘Edward Snowden-style’ leaker of terror watch-lists

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   

The net is closing on a second "Edward Snowden-style" whistle-blower who has reportedly been identified by the US Federal Bureau of Investigation, it emerged yesterday.

Agents had identified an employee of a US contracting firm who was suspected of leaking a US government watch list of terrorists to a journalist linked to Snowden, Yahoo News reported.

Agents had reportedly searched the suspect's home and a criminal investigation had been opened by prosecutors in the US state of Virginia. However, no one had been arrested or charged, the report said.

The latest leaked documents, which apparently reveal that almost half the people on US terror watch lists have no known affiliation with any terrorist group, appeared online in August.

FBI net closing on ‘Edward Snowden-style’ leaker of terror watch-lists

It took me a little digging to figure out what this news article was talking about.
and it seems this move came about because of story that was published back on 7-23-2014 on the The Intercept website.

the title to that story is...
The Secret Government Rulebook For Labeling You a Terrorist

The “March 2013 Watchlisting Guidance,” a 166-page document issued last year by the National Counterterrorism Center, spells out the government’s secret rules for putting individuals on its main terrorist database, as well as the no fly list and the selectee list, which triggers enhanced screening at airports and border crossings. The new guidelines allow individuals to be designated as representatives of terror organizations without any evidence they are actually connected to such organizations, and it gives a single White House official the unilateral authority to place entire “categories” of people the government is tracking onto the no fly and selectee lists. It broadens the authority of government officials to “nominate” people to the watchlists based on what is vaguely described as “fragmentary information.” It also allows for dead people to be watchlisted.

On that website they posted a copy of that Unclassified Offical Use Only Doc. as proof.

now to be honest with ya all I'd never heard of this group, The Intercept, before today but looking over the list of Documents they have posted to their website, they do indeed have several Secret and top secret Doc's posted there

CNO Core Secrets Slide Slices
10/10/2014

NSA Classification Guide for ECI Pawleys
10/10/2014 5:03 PM

Target Exploitation Classification Guide
10/10/2014

Whoever this new leaker is he has indeed been leaking sensitive top secret information... of course the types of information seem to be mostly policy and revisions to rules, nothing nearly so explosive as the phone intercept deal Snowden blew the lid off of... but still, damaging in that it gives the wrong people to much information on the inner working of NSA DHA, and other's...

who ever this guy is in some deep doo-doo.... and I bet the TPTB keep his story and capture very quite.
edit on 29-10-2014 by HardCorps because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 11:17 AM
link   
a reply to: HardCorps

Nice story! I thought I saw a blip on my fb news feed about something like this. Wow so whole categories of people can be listed. So that means every politician and billionaire right? No that's just crazy.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: nukedog

All I can say is I was pretty sure I was on someone's 'List'...
now that I posted this story... I'm positive I'm now on several someone's 'Lists' !

it's so nice to be wanted.... Not.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Hell I wouldn't mind so much if they would "like" my fb posts. You know... "DHS squad six likes your photo comment"

I actually think they siphon everyone's data and run algorithms to find "security risks." But then again I would be giving them too much credit.
edit on 29-10-2014 by nukedog because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   
It's funny(well, maybe not so much) how Obama was going to protect whistleblowers yet all this admin has done is try and prosecute them.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: TheSpanishArcher

Keep talking like that...
And they'll put you in the cell next to mine !

Bahawhawhaw....!

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: HardCorps

now to be honest with ya all I'd never heard of this group, The Intercept, before today but looking over the list of Documents they have posted to their website, they do indeed have several Secret and top secret Doc's posted there

The Intercept was co-founded by (among others) Glenn Greenwald and Laura Poitras, the two journalists responsible for bringing the initial Snowden Revelations to light, as a platform to publish more of the archive.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: CloudsTasteMetallic

Thank you for the heads up...

And it's rather surprising that USCYBERCOM hasn't totally nuked their website...

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   

I wouldn't be surprised if they're "playing ball" so to speak. I remember at launch, there was a bit of controversy regarding their funding. "The Intercept is an online publication launched in February 2014 by First Look Media, the news organization created and funded by eBay founder Pierre Omidyar." Pierre is/was rumored to have a hand in some of the unrest in Ukraine.

From Wikipedia:

US government reaction

On August 15, 2014, U.S. National Counterintelligence Executive (NCE) William Evanina confirmed that the FBI is moving forward with a probe into how classified documents were leaked to The Intercept for its article "Barack Obama's Secret Terrorist-Tracking System, by the Numbers" published on August 5. "It's a criminal act that has us very concerned," said Evanina, a former FBI special agent with a counter-terrorism specialty who was appointed NCE by Director of National Intelligence James R. Clapper in May 2014.[20]

In August 2014, The Intercept revealed that members of the US military are banned from reading it.[21]

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 06:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheSpanishArcher
It's funny(well, maybe not so much) how Obama was going to protect whistleblowers yet all this admin has done is try and prosecute them.

prosecute and to kill them........

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Couple of things:

who ever this guy is in some deep doo-doo.... and I bet the TPTB keep his story and capture very quite.

Indeed they are but it won't be kept quiet, there is a need to make an example out of whistleblowers in order to deter others from doing the same

Also:

no one had been arrested or charged, the report said.

By the sounds of it they have no concrete evidence on anyone, but they are spooked and hunting for the source.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 12:20 AM
link   

I hope you don't mind my Hello Kitty! sheets. At least I don't snore.

Our government is awful. They get caught with their hands in the cookie jar and they blame the person who catches them. Ridiculous.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 07:59 AM
link   
I guarantee that I'm on that list. Hell, even facebook censors some of my posts because they can't be having some cowboy in Kansas linking the Military Industrial Complex, corrupt plotiticians, widespread police brutality and Nazi idealogy but they sure let ISIS beheading videos circulate for a couple days before removing them.

All Hail Your Overlords!
edit on 10/30/2014 by LowTechRedneck because: Epic Auto-correct fail!

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 08:12 AM
link   
What I have looked and never seen, was any list with anyones name on it. If they want to make waves, that would be the way to go, would be to get ahold of and then send out those lists, having them published so everyone can see if they are on such and go from there.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   

This guy is totally screwed if he doesn't get out of the country. Just added "terror watchlist leak" to my Posted alerts to make sure I don't miss it when they catch him

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 10:33 AM
link   
While I still haven't found a way to access this Terrorist data base I have found some more info on what's on it.

F rom AllGov.com

If the numbers from the Obama administration’s counterterrorism operations are accurate, there are more than 20,000 Americans who have links to terrorism. At least 800 of them are being prevented from flying on planes.

The Intercept, which obtained classified documents pertaining to the government’s Terrorist Screening Database. That database includes names of 680,000 people, mostly foreign residents, who have been placed on watch lists. But more than 40% of those on the list have “no recognized terrorist group affiliation,”

Obama has boosted the number of people on the no fly list more than ten-fold, to an all-time high of 47,000

The databases just keep growing, at a rate of 900 entries per day. The top five cities represented by people on the watchlist are New York; Dearborn, Mich.; Houston; San Diego; and Chicago.

The groups with the most names on the list internationally are al Qaeda in Iraq (73,189), the Taliban (62,794), al Qaeda (50,446), Hamas (21,913) and Hezbollah (21,199).

I always knew something was fishy about Dearborn... just to quiet and laid back... ya all know what they say right? it's always the quiet ones you gotta keep your eyes on...

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 10:39 AM
link   

So glad to see my hometown on the list. Bah... I was tired of getting groped by the tsa anyway

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: CloudsTasteMetallic

I wouldn't be surprised if they're "playing ball" so to speak.

When it comes to divulging State secrets I doubt membership in the Forth Estate is any protection. I'm just saying the real surprise is that Glenn Greenwald and Laura Poitras were not thrown into ADX Florence where they'd be trading Marlboros to Eric Rudolph for extra sheets of TP...

No surprise... would be to ---somewhere down the line--- learn that as part of some sort of plea deal, they set up this "Intercept" website for the sole purpose of ferreting out would be whistleblowers... It's all just too convenient ya know...

edit on 30-10-2014 by HardCorps because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: nukedog

TSA doesn't frisk me anymore...
after the third time I got back in line to be felt up,
they said I was too eager...

edit on 30-10-2014 by HardCorps because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 11:15 AM
link   

By "playing ball" i meant to say that Greenwald and co are likely vetting what they release via cooperation from the US Gov.

Glenn himself is opposed to a "full dump" of the docs obtained via Snowden, stating that there are some docs too sensitive to release re: foreign operations. Which is a rather responsible stance to take compared to Assange.

Something about Snowden doesn't quite pass the sniff test for me though.

The way I see it, whats the point of a massive dragnet domestic surveillance apparatus, if no one knows about it? Big Bro wants us to know he's watching. Imagine if that old Clown Jay Carney scheduled a presser and said the same things, would the story have gained the same traction as the "cloak and dagger" version of Ed meeting in Hong Kong, using a Rubik's cube to signal his identity? How James Bond-ish.

With his background in CIA/NSA employment... I just don't trust it anymore. I see it as psy-op, a way to let things which were in the black become public through "unofficial" sources.

BTW, Poitras is an American ex-pat living in Germany now, after dealing with the "additional airport screening" detainment 40+ times since 2006, due to her history of flying to the ME in the course of her investigative journalism.

Last I heard, Greenwald is now based in Brasil.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join