It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Butane lighters banned from airliners

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I can't believe they are just doing this now! After would be shoe bomber Richard Reid was caught I would think that this law was already in effect! Plus it will not be a law until 60 days after Bush signs the bill. Stranger still matches are still allowed.

Passengers already are barred from smoking on commercial flights. Now they won't be allowed to bring their butane lighters on board either.

www.cnn.com...

"When I found out that they had explicitly, in their rule, said you could take two butane lighters and four books of matches on board, I thought, 'What have they been drinking?"' Dorgan said. Matches still are allowed.

The would be terrorist can obviously still figure out a way to bring down a plane without butane lighters but this should have been one of the first things they banned.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Welcome to ConAir, please fasten your chains and balls.....

why are the matches still allowed???

[edit on 9-12-2004 by Countermeasures]

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 08:07 PM
link   

why are the matches still allowed???

So when you fart in the rest room, you can get rid of the smell so people don't look at you funny? Rather stupid to allow matches, but there must be some dumb reason....right?

bentov

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Well, I can see the butane lighter ban, and duhhh, you would have thought they were already contraband.
I see nothing wrong with matches. There are still a few places America allows its citizens to smoke (although I am a non-smoker).
A match is useful for a few things, I guess. A temporary torch in darkenss. Ligthting a candle. And, sure, they're not a necessity, but I'll bet many people carry them around and shouldn't get in trouble for having them on their person.

new topics

top topics

join