It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flexible Flatscreens to Yield Virtually See-Through Airplane

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 08:02 AM
link   
For those of you afraid of flying or heights, it's about to get a whole lot worse!

Core77 Link

You probably remember Richard Branson's April Fool's joke about Virgin producing glass-bottomed planes. I figured this next bit of news might be a gag too, but apparently this proposal for a virtually invisible passenger airplane is sincere.

Put forth by the UK's Centre for Process Innovation, a science/engineering/technology incubator, this "Windowless Fuselage" concept is intended to save fuel and reduce emissions. The CPI's thinking is that commercial airplanes have windows for the passengers' comfort, but that if the windows could be jettisoned from the design, airplanes could be made lighter and thus save on fuel. To offset the feeling of sitting inside a tin can, airplanes would then be lined with ultrathin, flexible plastic screens covering the interior surfaces and even the seatbacks.

These screens, the concept goes, could serve as mere lighting, or the entertainment systems, or be linked to external cameras to provide the impression of flying al fresco. The screens could even "allow the colour changes associated with sunrise and sunset to be controlled on long haul journeys, helping passengers to adjust to time zone differences."

While the CPI refers to these flexible screens as "high definition," a closer examination of the stats reveals they're aiming for a 150 dpi resolution. They reckon that within five years they'll be able to produce these screens in 50-centimeter-wide rolls, rather like wallpaper; they claim the manufacturing techniques "are currently in development at CPI [and] these screens could be produced at a cost that is unlikely to be any more than current displays."

If this eventually comes to be I would fly just to view the scenery.

Amazing what simple advances can do to change the way we see the world. I'm wondering when we will have penthouse apartments with virtual walls like this, you will feel like your outside high above the city yet safe as can be.

Can't wait, AB
edit on 10/29/2014 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 08:33 AM
link   
a reply to: AnteBellum

Oh God. It's at times like this that I realise I'm a Luddite, and that I hate all advances in technology! Nope, there's no way I could sit on one of those, not in a billion years. Too scary by far. I used to fly a lot, and I think I secretly believe humans shouldn't be up in the sky, we don't belong there. This has confirmed my secret beliefs!

B x

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 08:34 AM
link   

That is super awesome! Finally, no more boring flights

I love the feeling and thrill of flying. Just not on airlines, as it is usually quite boring and uncomfortable.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Well, for those afraid of heights, it could have the projection of a bus ride instead during the flight.

I agree I would try it at least once if only for the experience of flying on an "transparent" plane.

It could be used in many places, like giving the impression of being outside while being in the subway. The scenery shown could also be of another planet, like in Avatar... lol Enlelss possibilities there.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Looks pretty cool to me, Would definitely make flying a more interesting experience. Not for the faint of heart though!

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 09:06 AM
link   
What if you want to get some sleep and its in the daytime. its not like you can just pull the blind down.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: PhoenixOD

I think you have access to your personal piece of wall to do what you want with. I'm wondering how that would look once practicality came in to play, everyone would have a different background. Some may start to put offensive images or other non-pc items out for everyone to see. I think this will be limited to just a few wallpaper designs in the end, thinking about it now.

Imagine if you could connect with the system and video edit a UFO flying around in the distance. That would be a fun prank to do. Or you could play a video of the jet heading for a mountain, lol.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Well I know quite a few who would never get on a plane again, show's you though what the military (secret stealth project's) must have had for decades on the outside of there planes.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   
do they have any Amazonian princesses to drive it?

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Soon we will all be flying naked too!! for security reasons obviously!!

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: LABTECH767

Well I know quite a few who would never get on a plane again, show's you though what the military (secret stealth project's) must have had for decades on the outside of there planes.

Yes siree! Have that covering the outside of a plane. Completely invisible to the naked eye. Simply amazing. They could also have the option of have real time effects with cameras aimed at the current conditions outside.
edit on 29-10-2014 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

That's what I was thinking also 'the visual cloak' but it's only good over friendly skies since radar still can detect the objects. Unless they retro'ed stealth technology with it, I could imagine that new destroyer with this tech would almost make it invisible.

new topics

top topics

join