It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where would we look for ancient civilizations from a billion years ago?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 12:58 AM
link   
a reply to: sheeporshepherd

Of those ten all are well known, long discussed, a few are fakes/hoaxes and some are real archaeological finds that while very interesting are not 'mysterious' in the sense of being 'out of place', extraordinary yes.
edit on 30/10/14 by Hanslune because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 04:18 AM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful
OOparts thats the name I was looking for thanks cool thread. like I said im no expert but if the experts aren't coming up with explanations to a lot of these artifacts ive got just as much right to speculate
and speculation is all it is
don't ever expect me to post truth cause I haven't found any yet.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 07:10 AM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

But what if the intelligent life that evolved on each of these likely candidate planets, was in fact the ET self-replicating devices?

DNA based, encoded living machines seeded onto or nearby sustaining worlds and moons to develop and adapt and evolve according to the host world's unique conditions, able to self replicate and propagate itself throughout the cosmos would be a much better plan for a highly advanced (read magically unimaginably advanced) species...after all, being DNA based we would essentially be replicating and advancing their original programming code and spreading it further.

Whatever life went on to develop as a result of this cosmological seeding, would be created in the creators image, based on the creators code....

Now, where have i heard that before!

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 07:21 AM
link   
So another future civilization here on earth in a billion years after we are gone could learn of us...maybe by finding the Apollo landers on the moon and the various probes on Mars (if not buried in the sand). I imagine all the space junk and Satellites would burn up in the atmosphere in a billion years?

How about earth Poles do they go through as much change as the rest of the planet? Maybe there is something to find under the ice in Antarctica?

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 07:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xeven
Where would we look for ancient civilizations from a billion years ago? Earth is nearly 4 billion years old. Humans, heck even dinosaurs only been around the last few 100 million. If ancient life were ever intelligent before we came how far down would we need to dig to find remnants of such a civilization? After a billion years would anything they created or made even exist any longer?

I suppose the moon and outer orbit could be a place to look for any sign of space fairing intelligent life but what if they never got that far. Where could we find evidence here on earth from so long ago?

Antarctica, according to H P Lovecraft.

On a more serious note:

Why this number? Why 1 billion years and not 1.5 billion years of 500 million? Is it a random pick?

Do you strongly suspect such a civilisation once existed here on Earth that may of may not have left traces? If not, wouldn't the search or thought about such a subject be extremely 'random'? I mean, if I'd be hell-bent on finding proof of the use of airplanes by the ancient Romans I'd have a lot of searching to do. And as I don't believe they used airplanes, it'd be a very random and pointless search as there's nothing to find. However, I could continue looking for that ancient Roman airplane until my death, convinced it's out there somewhere, either hidden in the ground or covered up by the government.

I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just trying to find out what you're getting at.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Pitou

Absolutely, a random pick of an easily digested number.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: SubSea

Very well could be that Earth is a generator of intelligent species, each rising under specific ecological and climate conditions, then as those conditions change to such a degree the planet doesn't support said species, they are forced to scatter to the stars or die. Perhaps the Creator's endgame is creating the ultimate adaptable species through the rules set in place?

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 02:03 PM
link   
deep under the ice of antarctica is where i would start looking

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Xeven

I believe we can all see the evidence, all we have to do is look up at the moon.

We have a moon that regulates the spin speed of our earth, it regulates the tides and it churns our oceans. Without the moon there would be no life on earth and as far as I'm aware that's not disputed by anyone.

The moon is one 400th the size of the sun.
The moon is 400 times closer to the earth than the sun.
The moon is rotating at 400km per earth day.

Suppose you were god or an alien race or an earlier civilisation, and you wanted those who will come long after you have gone, to notice you were here, what better way to ensure they notice it than to place the evidence in the sky where its on view to the whole world.

And right at the time when humans are able to notice such things the moon has moved to the perfect position to produce the perfect eclips of the sun.

The moon is the evidence you seek

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Look under your nose, Africans, they are barely more advanced than a billion years ago, still can't feed themselves, make electricity and stop spreading aids and now Ebola.

You don't have to look far. Life may have come from that continent, natural selection meant only the weak were left behind and they never advanced, that is what a billion year old person is like.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 05:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheCrowMan
Look under your nose, Africans, they are barely more advanced than a billion years ago, still can't feed themselves, make electricity and stop spreading aids and now Ebola.

You don't have to look far. Life may have come from that continent, natural selection meant only the weak were left behind and they never advanced, that is what a billion year old person is like.

Have to say I dont think thats very fair! They have been held back for the purpose of keeping the elites pockets nice and full.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 06:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: LowTechRedneck
a reply to: SubSea

Very well could be that Earth is a generator of intelligent species, each rising under specific ecological and climate conditions, then as those conditions change to such a degree the planet doesn't support said species, they are forced to scatter to the stars or die. Perhaps the Creator's endgame is creating the ultimate adaptable species through the rules set in place?

An interesting idea - a good scifi book series in that idea.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ancient Champion
deep under the ice of antarctica is where i would start looking

Good surmise but at our present level of technology - impractical.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 06:13 PM
link   
a reply to: VoidHawk

Very good point also there is this and several other odd coincidences, though I think we both agree they are not coincidence.
lovetherain.hubpages.com...

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Your question is thought provoking and intriguing.

Personally, I ask myself what has happened in the last 200 000 years or so, since modern man appeared. Homo Sapiens clearly had the mental ability to organize himself into social communities, develop new tech skills, so why did 'he need a 190 000 years to do so, before developing what we define as civilization, and then go from simple stone tools to space technology in a mere 10 000 years, in a rapidly accelerating speed of evolution?

Even stranger, why is that 10 000 year evolution period almost simultaneous on the Euro Asian continent and the American continent, if there was no contact between continents?

It's a mystery, but if we play with the idea that mankind have developed civilizations continuously during these 200 000 years, and that we are simply not yet capable of identifying them (provided that there are traces left), then it makes more sense.

At least to me...

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Just a good round number. 2 billion ok too!
a reply to: Pitou

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 07:39 PM
link   
In the fossil records would be a good place to search.

Also in the oldest highest mountain ranges.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 08:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Heliocentric
Your question is thought provoking and intriguing.

Personally, I ask myself what has happened in the last 200 000 years or so, since modern man appeared. Homo Sapiens clearly had the mental ability to organize himself into social communities, develop new tech skills, so why did 'he need a 190 000 years to do so, before developing what we define as civilization, and then go from simple stone tools to space technology in a mere 10 000 years, in a rapidly accelerating speed of evolution?

Even stranger, why is that 10 000 year evolution period almost simultaneous on the Euro Asian continent and the American continent, if there was no contact between continents?

It's a mystery, but if we play with the idea that mankind have developed civilizations continuously during these 200 000 years, and that we are simply not yet capable of identifying them (provided that there are traces left), then it makes more sense.

At least to me...

Good points the question could also be asked - are we looking for them? I think we are but at a very low rate of return. I suspect that if we do find a "90,000 year old catalhuyuck style settlement' it will be by accident more than by design, ie a specific archaeological survey looking for evidence of such.

I've been looking in spare bits of time at sediment analysis, ice cores and other mega data to see if there is a blip anywhere, any hint of agriculture even if it is just intensified gathering. Shell middens - because there would be enough food to grow a small culture - a place like the Hudson estuary could feeds hundreds of thousands even with only a limited technology - so far nothing.

I suspect that if anything like that exists it will be in the same places as we did later evolve our cultures in civis, the fertile crescent and the civilized blanket and pillows (a term used by one of my profs) - a band of land from Egypt/Greece/Turkey/ME to the Ganges with the pillow being roughly round areas around the Mekong and the Chinese rivers.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 08:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Cauliflower

There was also a warning about the dangers involved when an alien race comes back and trys to repopulate the Earth.
When a thread on ATS gets closed for staff review there may be more than alien cattle mutilation.

Which thread was that? The reason I ask is that I was following a thread here a few days ago and recall that it was closed for staff review but for the life of me I can't remember which thread it was.

There was another that got 404'd altogether but I remember that one and it's not the one I'm referring to above.

Thanks.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 08:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: VoidHawk

originally posted by: TheCrowMan

Have to say I dont think thats very fair! They have been held back for the purpose of keeping the elites pockets nice and full.

And how is that different to Natural Selection? If man came from the Trees llok to where there are trees and the most monkeys - its not in africa.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join