It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Diogenes philosophy in action (his philosophy)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 03:28 AM
link   
Being this the appropriate spot for philosophy I have placed it in this section. But, the whole idea of this post is to bring awareness that philosophy has many ways of being shared. I am not saying either that any medium is better, only that there are many ways. Quiet often philosophy is perceived as relevant to thought alone. Right there lays the problem we suffer today, many people only think about it rather than being it or testing it in human life. Diogenes being a fine example of living his way. Here are some snippets from his life.

It was in Corinth that a meeting between Alexander the Great and Diogenes is supposed to have taken place.[30] The accounts of Plutarch and Diogenes Laërtius recount that they exchanged only a few words: while Diogenes was relaxing in the sunlight in the morning, Alexander, thrilled to meet the famous philosopher, asked if there was any favour he might do for him. Diogenes replied, "Yes, stand out of my sunlight". Alexander then declared, "If I were not Alexander, then I should wish to be Diogenes", to which Diogenes replied, "If I were not Diogenes, I should also wish to be Diogenes."[31] In another account of the conversation, Alexander found the philosopher looking attentively at a pile of human bones. Diogenes explained, "I am searching for the bones of your father but cannot distinguish them from those of a slave."[3

In this account, he reminds us all that we need perspective, we are all slaves but some of us are not aware of this. My father once said to me in my teens," you can believe you are a boiled egg if you want to."

Dogs and philosophers do the greatest good and get the fewest rewards

Diogenes believed human beings live artificially and hypocritically and would do well to study the dog. Besides performing natural body functions in public with ease, a dog will eat anything, and make no fuss about where to sleep. Dogs live in the present without anxiety, and have no use for the pretensions of abstract philosophy. In addition to these virtues, dogs are thought to know instinctively who is friend and who is foe.[51] Unlike human beings who either dupe others or are duped, dogs will give an honest bark at the truth. Diogenes stated that "other dogs bite their enemies, I bite my friends to save them."

may you all receive plenty of love bites, from the dog philosopher inside you. There are many ways!

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 05:13 AM
link   
a reply to: ancientthunder

There are no non greek contemporary writings from the time of either Alexander the Great, or Diogenes. Therefore neither existed.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 05:28 AM
link   
My view is that we each have our own philosophy- whether we call it that or not.

It is our specific way of seeing what is true or not, how things work, what our relation is to the rest of the world, our place in it, what is good or bad to do in that role.

When we start to speak of developing "integrity" (walking our talk) we are refering to living our philosophy.

Sometimes we run into problems doing that because our philosophy is not well constructed... it has holes, it has inconsistancies, it has values or ideas which contradict each other in practice, so we flounder in action and feel powerless in events and sabotage our own efforts and purposes.

My stepfather is a professor of Philosophy, and a Psychoanalyst, and his particular form of practicing psychoanalysis is mostly helping people with philosophical thought (once sort of groundbreaking or innovative, it has become more widely embraced in the mental health field currently). I am not in a position to describe his... particular philosophy.

Only that I experience that learning to use philosophical thought is useful in everyday life and personality development.

Yes, there may be a time of more thinking than acting, to build your philosophy (perspectives) but that is only one step, the second is putting it into effective action and living!
edit on 29-10-2014 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 08:58 AM
link   
a reply to: DeadSeraph
I get your point, but they exist in our mind now just like mickey mouse and the pink panther! That is what philosophy is there for, it ought to push you passed your Descartes attitude, or Confucius. Even if Diogenes didn’t exist he was born in somebodies mind at sometime or other. Allays on the edge of wisdom.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluesma

I like your view and it holds true or makes sense. Thanks for adding clarity to the thread. Obviously no view is truly ours only a conglomeration of others views along with our own take on life experience's. If anything makes it ours, it has to hang on the thread of us putting it to the test.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Well then............My own Mother must be an ancient Greek philosopher
because she is every bit the self important sarcastic sharp tongue smartypants that Diogenes was.

edit on 29-10-2014 by grubblesnert because: spellin' always about the speling, splelling, splelling!

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: ancientthunder
I get your point, but they exist in our mind now just like mickey mouse and the pink panther! That is what philosophy is there for, it ought to push you passed your Descartes attitude, or Confucius. Even if Diogenes didn’t exist he was born in somebodies mind at sometime or other. Allays on the edge of wisdom.

Uhh, the guy is probably being disingenuous as there are non-Greek accounts of Alexander the Great (hello--Alexandria in Egypt? Whole city named after that one) and he claimed there were none. As far as Diogenes of Sinope goes, there were contemporary accounts of the crazy (awesome) guy including Plato. Plato called Diogenes a "Socrates gone mad" and Aristotle also references to him. There is no question as to whether Diogenes of Sinope existed.

More on the crazy (awesome) guy. I find him hilarious. www.iep.utm.edu...
edit on 29/10/14 by WhiteAlice because: almost did a no-no

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: grubblesnert
It is very possible that she is related to Diogenes himself and that also puts you in the picture, nothing like a direct line.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: WhiteAlice
Maybe he just doesnt like wise greeks, who knows? Either way I do and am glad to come to know him and his ways. Thanks for the link enjoyed that also.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 03:52 PM
link   

You're welcome. I've been tempted myself to go downtown with a lantern and play at Diogenes on my more cynical days.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 07:21 PM
link   

I was being facetious. I actually enjoyed your thread

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: ancientthunder
It is very possible that she is related to Diogenes himself and that also puts you in the picture, nothing like a direct line.

That's a nice thought. Or we could both be Diogenes reincarnate. Multiple simultainious lives to increase our higherself (Diogenes) attainment of purer Karmic vibration.

*Sounds like a narcissistic enough theory to satisfy all 3 of us, Diogenes, Mother and Me...........

Thank you for being a good sport, this kind of free thought and communication is fun!

edit on 30-10-2014 by grubblesnert because: thanks

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I like the idea of a tree and that the trunk holds the life info of all the leaves from all the years. When needed a leaf and its life info may sprout to aid the tree in its life. I am assuming that the trunk passes everything it has ever experienced in the form of a seed, then depending on the environment certain sprouts take place. Prefab sprouts

new topics

join