It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm thinking I might grow a beard.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 12:35 AM
link   
I'm 65. My ego is no longer invested in how I look, or whether I am meeting cultural expectations.

And this idea that we men must scrape the naturally occurring hair from our faces on a daily basis seems to me to be denying our natural existence.

Same for you women. Why must you scrape hair off of your armpits and your legs just because society says it must be done? Don't get me going on makeup.

In both cases, it doesn't make sense if we wish to be free of outside pressure.

I'll let you know if I grow my gray beard. Winter is fast approaching, so a beard will not make my face hot. I am free to do what I want.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 12:39 AM
link   
a reply to: droid56

Shouldn't this really be in the Survival Forum ?.

I mean, aren't beards a facial storage facility for little treats and tid bits you might need to get by during a zombie apocalypse.

Kind Regards
Myselfaswell

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 12:49 AM
link   
I'm 25 and I already reached that point.

I grew a beard because my beard is so full and thick I end up shaving every other day. Razor burn because my skin is sensitive, nah.

But I end up trimming it every other month because my hair grows so fast. I keep it long but not thrash metal long.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 12:53 AM
link   
A beard is nice when it gets cold.
I haven't had a hair cut since I don't know when. I have dread locks a few foot long. It's warm in the winter and in the summer I can get it wet and it keeps me cool.
Can't stand moustache hair, though. It tickles my upper lip when it's windy.
I don't mind arm pit hair on women. It looks like a plucked chicken butt shaved.
Shaving natural hair seems like saying the Creator/evolution (whatever you believe in,) screwed up somewhere along the line.

edit on 29-10-2014 by skunkape23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Should be ok if you are planning to join ISIS. Beards are popular there, I believe.
I was standing in line at the supermarket the other day and realized that I was the only male in the place that did not have a beard so they are popular here with the hillbillies as well. Good luck.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 01:04 AM
link   

I gave in droid and shaved my 3 weeks of growth off earlier today God did i look like a bum with it on , i looked like a Dalmation dog with all the black and white spots

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 01:07 AM
link   
I'm thinking that you should do exactly what makes you happy. If growing a beard does that?? Go for it!

I myself, like a beard. My husband has always had some form of facial hair. The only time I've seen his whole face in almost 18 years was at a few weddings and a few funerals. That's it. When he shaves it, I can't wait for it to grow back.

Different strokes and all that junk.

To hades with society's idea of conformity. I'll buck it as often as I can just so I can find small ways to stick it to the man.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 01:11 AM
link   

What style are you inclined toward?

The "Ventura Braid", perhaps?

I know this isn't about vanity, but you should have fun with your beard. If you don't have any restrictions due to employment rules or inhibitions about your social presentation, I would run with it wherever it grows.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Let the sonnofabitch grow and don't ask permission of anybody for petes sake.....youre old enough to do what you wish ...
If you want a beard...lets see if you can pass the itchy stage before shaving...( I always get a kick out of watching that performance when a newbie stops shaving......
I myself do not shave or cut my hair, and have been that way for some decades......(not always)
I think I went 16 yrs without at the longest patch.....keeps the bugs off you in the bush pretty good....(I may have been a logger but I don't stir my coffee with my thumb....)
I once raised three baby swallows to migrating time....and they used to fly down to me when I got home from the bush and crawl into my beard and snuggle with me all the while carrying on a chirpy conversation.....then theyd settle down in there and go to sleep......
I really enjoyed that.....

edit on 29-10-2014 by stirling because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Keeps you warm in winter, helps to stop getting chapped lips in the wind and is every mans right to grow one.
Don't fall for the evil Gillette spouts grow a beard!!.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 01:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
Keeps you warm in winter, helps to stop getting chapped lips in the wind and is every mans right to grow one.
Don't fall for the evil Gillette spouts grow a beard!!.

I agree. THAT is a conspiracy. I'm waiting for them to keep adding blades to the point that I can actually mow my yard with it faster than my actual mower! Only then, might it be close to the ransom they ask for those things!!

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 01:46 AM
link   

I'll just leave that here...

edit on 29-10-2014 by Shuye because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Keerist!....ive long ago stopped worrying about the colour of my socks ........I just pick a couple out of the bag.....
Who says socks should match.........when you think about it there are a lot of con jobs we do fall for unthinking ....

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 02:02 AM
link   
I'm still trying to grow a beard at 43. At best my chin looks like a hairy testicle rather than a beard, so the missus tells me.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 02:50 AM
link   

Same for you women. Why must you scrape hair off of your armpits and your legs just because society says it must be done? Don't get me going on makeup.

Growing a beard these days seems like it would be because mainstream society(Hispsters are all over now) says it must be done.

FYI leg hair armpit hair would be itchy and probably end up nasty for us gals to keep around despite what society says- no fret, some women like it.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 02:52 AM
link   
I like this thread. It's all about stuff only we old men consider important.

I told my wife few times, I want to look like Gandalf, clothes and stick included.

We need a forum for old men necessities.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 03:10 AM
link   
DO IT!

Beards are sexy but for the full effect, it's gotta be a Ship's Captain kinda beard. Nothing too long or shaggy or curly. Trimmed proper Navy style.

Refer to any number of noble sailor movies to get the gist. Think Sean Connery in 'The Hunt for Red October', or Capt. Muir in 'The Ghost and Mrs. Muir' (the 1939 version, not the dopey tv show).

Thank you for your cooperation and please post pictures when the full effect has been achieved.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 03:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: stirling
Keerist!....ive long ago stopped worrying about the colour of my socks ........I just pick a couple out of the bag.....
Who says socks should match.........when you think about it there are a lot of con jobs we do fall for unthinking ....

Hey I do the same thing now! Who could be bothered matching up socks now? Life is too short. Anyway, has anyone noticed that you can put 2 pairs of matching socks in a machine but you get 3 completely different socks at the end of the wash? WTF?

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 03:24 AM
link   
I grew a beard, only shaved it a week ago. It was just over 1 inch in growth, not a great beard but looked thick and started to go curly. Took around 1 and a half months to 2 months to grow it, and i only shaved a neat line top of neck down.

That is the longest i have ever gone without full shaving so as you can imagine they take some getting used to.

The thing is with beards is they are so damn itchy, laying down to sleep on pillows just made all the hairs prickle my face. I was always stroking and running my fingers through it which was irritating, but i could cope with it at least.

Main reason for shaving it was the wife, she liked the look of the beard but not the feel of it. I will one day grow another i guess, iv always wanted to grow one and keep it for a year see how long and bushy it would be.

edit on 29/10/14 by Ezappa because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Grow it.

You will have to go through the "F@#$ this itchy shiz, I'm shaving it off" stage but he who perserveres until the beard has reached the fullness of its measure will be greatly rewarded.

and if after that you are still not satisfied then shave it off.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join