It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why UFOs "as big as a football field?"

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 06:20 AM
link   
a reply to: audenine

Guten Morgen- I can see where that may pose a problem being so close to Canada, as the Canadian Football League™ (CFL™) use a field that is both longer and wider as opposed to American football or fields used for the NFL™.. Then take the whole "Soccer vs. Football" futbol soccer and those fields...

Viewer: "It was bigger than a bread box..."

"It's not the size but how it is used...."

namaste

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Well most people are bad at judging sizes (even more so at night) and many also like to exaggerate !

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 08:27 AM
link   

double post
edit on 29-10-2014 by wmd_2008 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 08:30 AM
link   
a reply to: JimNasium

Wow. There is a lot I don't know about this sizes of football fields! lol!

Thank you for enlightening me... I only really know the American kind, so color me ignorant.

Still, I think the point of saying something is as big as a football field means it was dang big and shouldn't be hanging out in the sky like that...

peace,
AB

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Why did abductees report seeing analog dials inside space ships 40 years ago when these days they report computer screens and lasers?

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Quick size comparison:

American football field - appx 91m without endzones.
Millenium Falcon - appx 35m

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 09:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: gavron
Quick size comparison:

yeah but how big is this one?

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 09:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: PhoenixOD
Why did abductees report seeing analog dials inside space ships 40 years ago when these days they report computer screens and lasers?

Because back then that's what we put in them.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: draknoir2

lol.

So 40 years ago we were building flying saucers ,dressing up as aliens, flying around and abducting our own people?

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 10:17 AM
link   

I think you're overanalyzing a bit. It is simply a comparison to something familiar that everyone would understand. One would not say "It was about the size of my grandmother's back yard" because no one else knows how big that is.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Well Mog from Zog took his ship to these guys to get a retro look to it.

Hot Rod

He wanted to make his abductee fell at home.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   

lol.

So 40 years ago we were building flying saucers ,dressing up as aliens, flying around and abducting our own people?

Half joking.

Yes, 40 years ago we were building things that people identified as "flying saucers", and they most likely used gauges and dials of the period.

Personally I prefer analog gauges.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: ZetaRediculian

I think it was about 6ft

But its an interesting example as it demonstrates that without accurately knowing the distance from the camera scale can be grossly misjudged.
edit on 29-10-2014 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: ZetaRediculian

originally posted by: gavron
Quick size comparison:

yeah but how big is this one?

appx 11,000 meters:
Ship size comparison chart

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   
WOW I did not expect this would generate so much interest and by people who really gave it some thought! A teacher's dream! lol

I agree that the cultural collective conscious has much to do with this. But the sheer agreement on that in this forum is a 'teaching moment' for framing how bias develops among groups (sorry, sociology is my life). The way we measure things is at base a cultural bias. It's as big as something I assume you know what I'm talking about. Even if you have never stopped to think about just how big is a football field. I still couldn't tell you exactly how many yards except "lots of them" (which I realize can get me exiled from America).

Because I am prone to research a thing to death (can't blame that bias on sociology but wish I could), I want to collect size descriptions of UFOs from several areas of the world to see if in fact there is significant agreement in actual size, each according to their own cultural collective conscious. Couldn't hurt.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: draknoir2

lol.

Half joking.

Yes, 40 years ago we were building things that people identified as "flying saucers", and they most likely used gauges and dials of the period.

Personally I prefer analog gauges.

This is definitely a steampunk-friendly discussion.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: AboveBoard
a reply to: JimNasium

Wow. There is a lot I don't know about this sizes of football fields! lol!

Thank you for enlightening me... I only really know the American kind, so color me ignorant.

Still, I think the point of saying something is as big as a football field means it was dang big and shouldn't be hanging out in the sky like that...

peace,
AB

I agree that once away from the thing seen, being able to pin down size is practically an involuntary survival mechanism. Something that big and moving/vibrating like that may as well be as big as a [your national sport here] field. And it shouldn't be able to hang there like that for several minutes while I fight nausea from the fear.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: audenine
That's my humble excuse for nitpicking: why "a football field"? How has this become the measuring rod? I looked this question up on ATS but only got 10+ pages of sightings measured this way!

A few years ago I tried to get everybody to start estimating the sizes of UFOs using turkeys for comparison. "It looked the size of a turkey at arm's length," or "It was about as big as 26 turkeys end-to-end," but it never caught on.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Personally I prefer analog gauges

I love that the newer Mustangs have the same console as the ones from the 60s. Its very fuzzy between 80 and 100

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I guess it's because most people can visualize the size of a football field, thus putting the size of the UFO into perspective.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join