It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 Hours of Walking in NYC as a Woman

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 07:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge
Responding with a polite smile or 'hello' in return only invites them to further their advances. You just don't do it... most of us women have had to learn that lesson the hard way. Women learn to decipher the difference between a sincere friendly greeting and one that's not-so-sincere... but you can't always tell all the time, so the smart thing to do is to just play it safe by not responding at all.

This is not my experience.

My experience is the majority of men who call out, make no other move, or have intention to do so.

I do acknowledge them with a nod, wave, or casual smile ---- but nothing suggestive. I've found if it's a place where I regularly walk, what they do is become protective ---- not aggressive.

If some new guy tries to put a move on me, they let him no I'm off limits.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 07:21 PM
link   
We are doomed....

Once again common sense has left mankind in 2014..

Really.... Saying hi is bad now?

It is called harassment now?

So now we are trying to make this against the law?

Women seemed to survive since the beginning of time, having men in one way or another express their attraction to them...

I think this world is sick as hell right now...

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 07:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

It's been my experience living in the city most of my life... and my daughter's. There's nothing worse than seeing a 40 year old man catcall to your 12 year old daughter. The mother bear in me wants to walk over to them and rip out their juggular with my bare hands.

But now that I've been living in a small town for the past 7 years, it's a breath of fresh air, literally. Everybody smiles and greets each other without any underlying nefarious agenda. It took me a while to get used to it, but now it's actually a joy to walk down the street.

I highly recommend this lifestyle to anyone who is fed up with the concrete jungle.

edit on 2-11-2014 by CranialSponge because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

Not everyone is mentally suitable for big city urban living.

I go into my own little world whenever i'm out and about, usually have some music or a podcast on.

If you pay attention to, and take everything in; and then act on it internally in your own mind it could feel like you're forever getting harassed as you walk about with the thousands of other people occupying the same space as you.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: bates

It tends to get rather difficult to ignore a stranger patting your ass or nonchalantly rubbing his crotch up against you when you're standing on a bus and you turn around only to see him give you a sick smirk and wink like as if he's doing you a favour.

The words f*** and off became my best friends.

In public those words said loud enough work great because, luckily, most other men within the vicinity who hear it go into automatic protection mode should the need arise... you can see it in their eyes... and I was always grateful for those good guys in the world.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 12:58 AM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

I live in Los Angeles. I am the mother of 2 daughters, grandmother of a 14 year old girl.

Not saying I'm a big fan of catcalling, but I do choose to work it in my favor.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 04:09 AM
link   
It took her 10 hours to get just 100? She was in the wrong part of town. LOL

More like it took her 10 hour to get calls that were even slightly objectionable.

This is all just part of life in and the charm of NY, chica. Tradition. Get used to it.

CX

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Go check out the video response on YouTube, of a guy walking round NY, getting the same kind of comments from women in 3 hrs.

Women are as bad as guys. Some love the attention, others hate it and find it uncomfy.

I understand that more lewd comments are a no-no, but general saying good morning or passing compliments, is that not allowed any more?

I say hi to most people I pass on the street, especially if they are sat on their own, as my dad says....no matter what they look like, you may be the only person they speak to all day.

Can make a difference.

CX.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join