It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

got my settlement...10 grand to spend...which of these cars to buy?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 09:47 PM
link   
a reply to: CardiffGiant

Out of the cars you've shown, I'd pick the 300ZX.

Could be a bit tedious as a daily driver though!

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 09:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Meldionne1

Looking at the cars he's picked out, either he hasn't got a wife or she already has a car.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Go to school for something else. Get the Buick anyways. Even if you dont go back to school. NEVER MIND.... 5K for that is insane! What state is this? Just wow. Never mind. Go to PA and get something incredible for 5 grand if you really want a car. Holy crap.

I would spend a couple hundred on the car and the rest in as much community college it will pay for in something you always wanted to do. Hell take a piloting course. Fly a plane.

edit on 10 28 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 10:26 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

Yeah my initial thought too pretty much. Buy the $5k car. Put money in the bank because it will probably have issues. Put the rest of the money in a ROTH IRA.

Watch that money double every seven years. Figuring the guy is 30 and takes out the money when he's 60 (and puts away $2500) that's over $40,000 tax free money. $56,000 if you do $3500.

The car will be just as fun as the others but you also have $ to fix problems, and a nice little nest egg to draw from should you want to purchase a house, or just save it for retirement.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 10:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: CardiffGiant
so after the 18 month wait, the settlement came through....been planning on buying a car and i set my limit at 10 grand....all these are from craigslist in my area. theyre all for sale right now....gonna start calling tomorrow...

check em out and tell me what you think

first, 94 twin turbo 3000gt. 100k miles. thing is nice man....looks like a mint....asking 10k or best offer

2001 mustang gt with supercharger...50k miles...$9850 or best offer...

1982 buick t type...$5500...dont know the miles. i have wanted a grand national forever so this is about as close as it will get for what i want to spend. if i can get this for 5k i probably will and then just buy another car for 5k as well.

1987 mustang gt convertible....8k or best offer....51k miles.....this thing is sexy too....

1990 nissan 300zx.....90k miles....twin turbo v6...beautiful

so thats what i have it down too. its hard to keep it at 10 grand because i 'could' spend far more very easily...there is an 87 olds 442 listed for 13k...im in love with that and also an 86 grand national for 13 grand...i just didnt want to spend that much.

ive waited this long...i have been thinking about not even making a call till december 1st. i figure around then i could probably get a killer deal cause of the winter and christmas right around the corner...that said i am about the most impatient dude in the world when it comes to this stuff.
been a gear head my entire life...probably owned 30 cars in my life and none of them have been something i really wanted....just got them cause it was a deal or i needed wheels right away...
i told myself the moment i filed that if i won i was going to finally buy myself a car. this will be the only time i can get something i want and pay cash for it....
also it would be very easy to spend more and/or go back to a 70's or even 60's classic but i need to keep it a bit newer. whatever i get will also be my daily driver so that is a factor.

what do you think?

Sleeper of the year, you could take half the money and buy
parts for a homegrown GN, probably needs valve seals anyway
(sour grapes). I know a couple of guys that took the stock
Regals and went nuts with the 4.3... just look out for the
spinning stuff inside. Twisting anything much more than 6
grand +boost might get you a bushel basket full of busted
pretzels.
And the color looks almost Aunt Suzy GS, it'd be cruel I tell ya.

Besides, the only real difference so far between Porky's 175MPH
nest of hornets and a T-Type is undercoating and an Airtronics
on top. Well yeah, and that balanced light kit for the guts or else.
Forget I said it.. I had a Pont Sunbird with a Buick 4.3 in it, and
it took three grand without the squirrel cage liver transplant.
Just watch out for the engine numbers though, Vortec bowties
suck GAS.
It could hop like a cockroach on a pot of Morning Thunder though.
"Whats that?" : "A Vega with hog trim" BWAHAHahaaaaaaa.
edit on 28-10-2014 by derfreebie because: Anything less than 2.0 crank HP/ inch is NOT a hot rod

edit on 28-10-2014 by derfreebie because: And the seat shall EAT.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 11:49 PM
link   
a reply to: derfreebie

I couldnt turn the 82 into anything i dont think. Been reading a bit. The plus to the buick is the 82 with the 3.8 turbo is very rare. Most had a 4.1
So thats a plus. I will probably see another 82 with that 3.8 again.
The price is awesome..that said you can not get parts for these and especially not the performance parts..so that sucks.
I could prob get this and still get a mustang for 10k.
My wife will still have the truck. That would work.
My brain is telling me its not a true national and never will be so walk away..

Im thinking i can prob focus on the 2 mustangs for now. And the buick till i decide. I like the ponys for different reasons.

i could bump the max up. If i take it to 14k i can think about an 87 olds 442 friggin beautiful and there is a true 86 national. Low miles and larger turbo upgrade. Thats the national i would like to have. With an 86 i can get it up to 87 performance no problem.....

# this is hard

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 12:02 AM
link   

I couldnt turn the 82 into anything i dont think. Been reading a bit. The plus to the buick is the 82 with the 3.8 turbo is very rare. Most had a 4.1
So thats a plus. I will probably see another 82 with that 3.8 again.
The price is awesome..that said you can not get parts for these and especially not the performance parts..so that sucks.
I could prob get this and still get a mustang for 10k.
My wife will still have the truck. That would work.
My brain is telling me its not a true national and never will be so walk away..

Im thinking i can prob focus on the 2 mustangs for now. And the buick till i decide. I like the ponys for different reasons.

i could bump the max up. If i take it to 14k i can think about an 87 olds 442 friggin beautiful and there is a true 86 national. Low miles and larger turbo upgrade. Thats the national i would like to have. With an 86 i can get it up to 87 performance no problem.....

# this is hard

YeahIhear you.. numbers-match GNs are for summer anyway (more sour grapes).
IF you were firm at the 10 there's always the Stangs. And there's four different
HEADS you can put on them later... parts are available forever for the 4.6 and
the 5.0.
I saw a 3000GT trying to back out of six inches of snow in NAperville '91, it was
painful and hilarious at the same time. Got to think of the weather too...
And a 5.0 with extra duration is fun to hear cold idle in the winter.
I really am the oldest 19 year old on this site, I'm gonna get you in trouble.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Well im trying to stick to 10k...i have to limit myself but its hard. For practical reasons im telling myself that the ponys are the safe bet

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 01:37 AM
link   

so after the 18 month wait, the settlement came through....been planning on buying a car and i set my limit at 10 grand....all these are from craigslist in my area. theyre all for sale right now....gonna start calling tomorrow...

check em out and tell me what you think

1987 mustang gt convertible....8k or best offer....51k miles.....this thing is sexy too....

This. Right here. The first car I ever bought for myself was a 1985 Mustang GT. Was jet black...with T-Tops. I LOVED that car. Yes, it was a "real" 5.0 GT. With a manual five speed. Most awesome car ever, to me!

And the car in you pic just screams Ice Ice Baby!!

edit on 29-10-2014 by edaced4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 01:43 AM
link   
why tell us its a settlement? why not just say you have 'this' much to spend, stating its a settlement is baiting, when you dont state what the settlement is for, its not like you wouldnt expect HUMANS to be curious, your baiting us to ask you what the settlement is for, so being human i am curious like 4 other posters have asked, what is the settlement for?

"i was injured" is almost as vague as it could get.
edit on 10/29/14 by pryingopen3rdeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 03:11 AM
link   
I would use that 10K to lease a car that is $27K-$32K for 3 years.

Why?

A) Those less than 10K cars are prob going to cause you problems over a period of 3 years and you will sink more money into them.
B) and so you won't feel so secure in them and not feel as good as in a nicer newer car.
C) and if it does last longer than 3-4 years, prob will have some minor problems, giving you a headache, and taking away from your driving experience.
D) When you sell it after 3-4 years it will be worthless anyway.

And so you might as well buy/lease a newer car and enjoy your car for the next few years.

I recommend leasing a nice pre-owned certified car (1-2.5 years old) and not have to worry about any problems. In the end you probably will not spend much more money.

(..from a guy who bought used (less than) $10K cars all his life and finally bought and experienced owning a nice new +$32K car. Only next time I wouldn't buy a new car and buy one that is 1 or 2 years old, pre-owned certified with a 150K mile/3 year warranty.)

my 2 bits..
edit on 29-10-2014 by nOraKat because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 07:00 AM
link   
a reply to: pryingopen3rdeye

didnt think about it that much really. i said i got a settlement because i got a settlement...
someone asked me a direct question and i gave a direct answer.
be curious all you want. im talking about cars

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I think it depends on several things. I look at cars to see if I can fit comfortably inside them. If you are 6' tall you need leg room and head height. You need something that is easy to get into and out of. From my perspective I would go with the Gran National. Then use the remaining monies for other toys/plans/fun things to do.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Do you have a car already? I always wonder why people feel the need to blow all their money as soon as they get it.

Having said that, the smart choice would be the Nissan. The maintenance will be cheaper and it is a decent ride. The worst choice would be that Mitsubishi. The act of taking its picture probably broke something on it. Personally I wouldn't consider ANY American car that old.

Add: Before you get a car with turbos, have it checked out, and keep in mind that turbo parts are expensive if something breaks.

edit on 29-10-2014 by ScientiaFortisDefendit because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ceeker63
I think it depends on several things. I look at cars to see if I can fit comfortably inside them. If you are 6' tall you need leg room and head height. You need something that is easy to get into and out of. From my perspective I would go with the Gran National. Then use the remaining monies for other toys/plans/fun things to do.

Save the rest for maintenance on that money hole.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: nOraKat

Not a bad option.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScientiaFortisDefendit

Do you have a car already? I always wonder why people feel the need to blow all their money as soon as they get it.

of course i have a car already.
i dont remember saying i was going to spend all my money...
im will be spending some of it...

i was kind of hoping to talk about the cars since it is the automotive section...

was asking about cars, not finances

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 02:08 PM
link   
just found this srt-4 online. its close to me and its 7 grand at a dealer so i could probably get i for a piece less since im paying cash.

i have been reading reviews on this car and theyre better than i figured they would be...

this would be a nice little daily driver...4 door so good for the wife and daughter as well.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   
might be a change of plans....check this out

Description: 1987 RX-7 Halfbridgeport 13B Rotary -- 756RWHP -- 890BHP

Engine:
93 octane Fueled and race bridgeport 13B Rotary with ALS Unbreakable Apex Seals and Side Seals.
Ports: Primary Extended port
Ports: Secondary Bridge Port
Ports: Re spec Bridge Port
T6667 Polished Pte Ballbearing Turbo (very good shape-no detonation thru this one) .96 A/R -- Anti Surge Housing
3″ Downpipe
HKS 40mm Wastegate
HKS Manifold
AIS Alcohol Injection Systems Methanol Injection
Himini Racing Magnetic Oil Pan Plug
OMP Blockoff Running Premix
Racing Beat 80 PSI Oil Pressure Regulator

Drivetrain:
ACT Max Extreme Pressure Plate with twin disk clutch
Braided Clutch Line
Driveline Loop
New S5 Tranny
Rebuilt Differential with Cryo treated ring and pinion
Strengthened Axles with Cryo treated output shafts
Himini Racing Composite motor mounts
Himini Racing Composite tranny mounts
ECU:
Dell Laptop to control ECU
Haltech E6K

Intake:
24″ X 12″ Intercooler with 3″ inlet\outlet
3″ Polished Aluminum Intercooler Piping
Tail blow off valve
HUGE K&N
Throttle Body ported and polished by BDC
--------------------------------------

wow

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Too many to choose from! I like the 3000GT's, the only thing that stopped me from getting one was the problems they were all having. The SRT-4 is nice, very sleeper and underrated. The mazda looks good and seems well kept. I have an evo 9 so of course I'm going to suggest that, even though it wasn't one of your options. lol

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join