It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Under Voluntary Quarantine in Vermont

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 05:40 PM
link   
I live within walking distance of the hospital, Fletcher Allen, but don't think there's much to worry about:

A Vermont man is under a voluntary Ebola quarantine after returning to the United States yesterday from a monthlong trip to West Africa. He claimed to be helping to fight the deadly disease there, Gov. Peter Shumlin announced at an emergency press conference at the Department of Health in Burlington. The man, whom officials did not identify, is not showing any symptoms of the virus and is considered "low risk," Shumlin said.

www.sevendaysvt.com/OffMes sage/archives/2014/10/28/vermont-man-under-voluntary-ebola-quarantine-after-west-africa-trip

Nonetheless, I'll be watching this very closely. Vermont is one of the last places I'd have expected to be hearing about quarantines, at least not so soon. What a trip... at least the man admitted himself and didn't go bowling or partake in some of the high-traffic activities other potential ebola victims were participating in.

At the same time, there are elements of the article that are disturbing to me. If he begins to exhibit symptoms and the healthcare workers treating him aren't wearing appropriate protection, he could fairly easily transmit this to one of them:

Department of Health workers are visiting the man in teams of two, taking his temperature and speaking with him for a few minutes. So far, four workers have seen him. The workers do not have special training, according to officials. They are not wearing protective gear because the man is not displaying symptoms.

edit on 28-10-2014 by FamCore because:

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 05:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore
I live within walking distance of the hospital, Fletcher Allen, but don't think there's much to worry about:

A Vermont man is under a voluntary Ebola quarantine after returning to the United States yesterday from a monthlong trip to West Africa. He claimed to be helping to fight the deadly disease there, Gov. Peter Shumlin announced at an emergency press conference at the Department of Health in Burlington. The man, whom officials did not identify, is not showing any symptoms of the virus and is considered "low risk," Shumlin said.

www.sevendaysvt.com/OffMes sage/archives/2014/10/28/vermont-man-under-voluntary-ebola-quarantine-after-west-africa-trip

Nonetheless, I'll be watching this very closely. Vermont is one of the last places I'd have expected to be hearing about quarantines, at least not so soon. What a trip... at least the man admitted himself and didn't go bowling or partake in some of the high-traffic activities other potential ebola victims were participating in.

At the same time, there are elements of the article that are disturbing to me. If he begins to exhibit symptoms and the healthcare workers treating him aren't wearing appropriate protection, he could fairly easily transmit this to one of them:

Department of Health workers are visiting the man in teams of two, taking his temperature and speaking with him for a few minutes. So far, four workers have seen him. The workers do not have special training, according to officials. They are not wearing protective gear because the man is not displaying symptoms.

It's good that he's under voluntary quarantine, but officials in that community MUST enforce it. Even if a person is asymptomatic it can be spread. And, the incubation period should be longer than three weeks. Some have suggested six weeks.

They should have worn protective gear. Period. Their negligence is breathtaking. I can't believe it.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

I still think quarantines should be mandatory. When the Apollo astronauts returned home from the moon, they were quarantined for 3 weeks in a trailer! They were also heroes in the eyes of Americans, but they understood the potential of bringing back a deadly alien virus that could affect the population.

So what's the difference here? We know the Ebola virus exists. The Apollo crew was quarantined just as a precautionary measure without any knowledge of an existing space or moon virus being experimented in a lab here at home.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

I've already said quite a bit related to Ebola on ATS. I won't repeat myself any further except to say, that I agree 1000% with you and that I told everyone months ago we should be doing way more. Way more. This spread started to outnumber doctors in West Africa last year....late summer 2013, way before late 2013 like they're currently saying.

It's a big mess to clean up and no ones cleaning.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   
a reply to: dianajune

"Even if a person is asymptomatic it can be spread."

This statement is not true. Ebola is only contagious with the exchange of bodily fluids from a patient that is exhibiting symptoms.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Well at least this guy quarantined himself. unlike the dip$hit doctor in NY or the Nurse from dallas to cleveland to dallas with a fever..

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 07:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Diderot

This statement is not true. Ebola is only contagious with the exchange of bodily fluids from a patient that is exhibiting symptoms.

Not necessarily:

These findings show that some individuals were infected with the virus without developing symptoms. Results from previous outbreaks had only indicated that such an asymptomatic infection was possible. During the first three outbreaks of Ebola virus in Sudan and Zaire in 1976 and 1979, WHO teams noticed that individuals had symptoms that ranged in severity, from mild (and probably asymptomatic) to rapidly fatal.

The risk of transmission via blood products donated by such individuals or via semen should be taken into consideration in public-health policy since infectious filovirus have already been found in semen from symptomatic patients 2—3 months after symptoms.32, 33
empahses mine

Human asymptomatic Ebola infection and strong inflammatory response

If they can possibly transmit the disease via blood products or semen, is it so hard to conceive of the virus being transmissble via traditional methods ecen though this route would not be an efficient or primary method?

It is most likely a loe probability event, but how high a risk factor are you willing to accept?

At the levels we are facing in the west, low probability events won't have as great an impact as they will over in Africa where the overall size of the outbreak magnify such events due to sheer numbers.

And what happens in Africa, doesn't necessarily stay in Africa; unlike the Vegas marketing machine sells about it's city.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 02:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Diderot

Ok, then you go volunteer simply to give water to Ebola patients in west Africa. Ya' up for the challenge?

Geesh...when will you people get it?

edit on 10/29/14 by ThePublicEnemyNo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 09:24 AM
link   

I just moved to Vermont and would not have expected this, thanks for making this available.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   
The story says he 'claimed' to have come from helping Ebola patients. Do we know if he really did? The way that was worded sounded strange to me.

If he is self quarantining after being with ebola patients then I give him a round of applause. Good for him! He's showing more smarts then the ebola nurse who flew across the country to go shopping; the NYC doctor who went bowling and to restaurants; the Dallas lab tech that went on a Mexican cruise, and the latest nurse to go play in Maine after lawyering up.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Great to hear there is a fellow ATS member in my home state! I've been on ATS for years and have never had this happen. Sending you a friend request and will hope to keep in touch. Hope you are enjoying the Green Mountain State so far

a reply to: Brotherman

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 10:03 PM
link   

IF and that's a dodgy word anytime, But IF such is maybe possible to present then surely @Better Safe Than Sorry', and 'Prevention Is Better Than Cure', does make sense, does it not ???? But then who am I to say such......

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 10:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Jainine

The story says he 'claimed' to have come from helping Ebola patients. Do we know if he really did? The way that was worded sounded strange to me.

You and me both. I would have guessed he was fame whoring but that doesn't jive with his name being kept quiet.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 10:11 PM
link   

I bet there are plenty of us Vermonters here on ATS. I'm a long time lurker rare poster under a couple different names over 7 years, but I'm here haha.

soundcloud.com...
Here is a clip worth listening to. Especially 4:10

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Low risk, Moderate risk and High risk are words that our emergency personnel are getting accustomed to these days. As much as we all would like to think in terms of a slight chance at best for a Pandemic, if it does happen, each and every door will be marked as such according to the planning.

I was at court in Diamond Missouri with my ex who got a ticket for speeding in that town, a meeting had just adjourned and I was able to see the writing on the chalk board quite plainly in one area in particular and it showed how they were to mark the doors, first square was empty, second with a / slash through it and the last an X. What those meant were as I wrote above, low risk, moderate risk and high risk. None for clear. Made me think.

join