It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Antares Rocket Explodes During Launch

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 06:52 PM
link   
All CNN wants to talk about is how the rocket's engine was Russian. Wonder how that is going to turn out..

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I smell sabotage. Whatever cargo was on board, wasn't meant to reach its destination, and that could be a good thing considering space based warfare initiatives. Glad no one appears to have been physically harmed in this event.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Tenacious8

Did you catch them talking to the astronaut Musgrave and he was going on about how it was a Russian rocket and this does not happen to American rockets? What rockets were used for the two shuttle disasters?

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Here's the cargo manifest: Cygnus Orb-3 Cargo

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: AnonyMason

good find...any idea what internatonal investigations is? haha kind of weird

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: rockpaperhammock

I have no idea.

7KG worth of procedural books? Ever heard of a tablet, fellas? Jesus.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: nrd101

lol ehh just food then? I know that the station is self supporting..

edit on 0b25America/ChicagoTue, 28 Oct 2014 19:23:25 -0500vAmerica/ChicagoTue, 28 Oct 2014 19:23:25 -05001 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 07:40 PM
link   
As far as I know it is a contract job worth 1.3 billion for the next few years. 15 nations own the station, so if tax dollars have been wasted you could probably lose as much $$ buying a single stick of gum.

The Russians have a craft going up on Wed. (planned before) and yes, this will focus attention on the reliability of the Russians Soyuz space program compared to everyone elses.

The rocket and the loss of the entire launch pad could be in the billions. I'm guessing that at least 700,000,000 was burned to a crisp.

#ty day for NASSA.

-and I wonder if that sailboat delay contributed?

edit on 28-10-2014 by canucks555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 07:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: AnonyMason
a reply to: rockpaperhammock

I have no idea.

7KG worth of procedural books? Ever heard of a tablet, fellas? Jesus.

Power failure in the tablet and oops...

All that is needed is eyes and a hand to turn a page.
edit on 10/28/2014 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 07:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tenacious8
All CNN wants to talk about is how the rocket's engine was Russian. Wonder how that is going to turn out..

That's because they are very old in the concept whatever. Here's last years launch,

Camera parameters are different and it's also daylight so be prepared to be bored, but maybe someone can spot a difference. Who knows about the current launch? explosive bolts? I don't know!

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 07:46 PM
link   
-they keep delaying the press conference. From 8:30 to 8:45 and now to 9:00 eastern.

www.nasa.gov...
edit on 28-10-2014 by canucks555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 08:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: smurfy

originally posted by: Tenacious8

That's because they are very old in the concept whatever. Here's last years launch,

Camera parameters are different and it's also daylight so be prepared to be bored, but maybe someone can spot a difference. Who knows about the current launch? explosive bolts? I don't know!

They have been used for a lot of our satellite launches. It wasn't until last month in September that they agreed/decided to begin changing to engines built by the company Blue Origin instead of the Russian first stage boosters. At least that's what I've found so far.

They've been reliable for a while. It's unfortunate that there was a failure tonight, especially for all the members on the ISS.
edit on 28-10-2014 by Tenacious8 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 08:21 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

I was watching live on BBC news.

My question is when was the last time that a space launch was put out live?

I have not seen one in many many years, but then that just might be me.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 08:39 PM
link   
ww.planetaryresources.com asteroid hunting telescope was onboard. This was to be the first step towards selecting an asteroid to mine. This really sucks.
I really hope they go with SpaceX next time. I hate to see setbacks like this.

www.geekwire.com...

"An Orbital Sciences Antares rocket lifting off from Wallops, Va., to resupply the International Space Station exploded on liftoff a short time ago.

The payload included the Arkyd 3, the first test satellite from Planetary Resources, the asteroid mining company based on Redmond, Wash.

Initial reports indicate that no one was hurt in the incident, which is being described as a “catastrophic anomaly.”

edit on 28-10-2014 by Vdogg because: Added link to story

edit on Sat Nov 1 2014 by Jbird because: ex tags

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 09:11 PM
link   
I was going to do a write up on this, this morning. (I wish I had) We saw a rocket very clearly in the sky last afternoon, then come to find out out later--the launch was canceled!
How many people saw a rocket go up at the designated time yesterday afternoon?
I for one, my wife was by me, saw a rocket. A friend a few miles away saw it as well. We all have astronomy optics, and we all saw it!
To see an event, that wasn't supposed to happen. Vexed me a lot.

Now that the delayed event, blew up. I am defiantly going to have to get some stuff together. I have taken a screen shot, of the same questions on the NASA site.

edit on 10/28/14 by Dracan6 because: bad grammer

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Officials warn public to avoid searching for pieces of rocket that exploded as it was carrying 'hazardous material'

www.breakingnews.com...
edit on 28-10-2014 by Maluhia because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 10:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Maluhia

The Cygnus spacecraft (which was this Antares' payload) uses hydrazine and nitrogen tetraoxide as propellant for maneuvering in space. Both propellants are convenient for this use because they are storable (no boil-off as with liquid oxygen and hydrogen), but both are known carcinogens.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 11:36 PM
link   
That was a bummer. Especially, I imagine for the engineers and everybody at nasa. Any reports on what went wrong? Curious to see a diagnosis.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 11:38 PM
link   
there must be a backup plan/delivery method to get the supplies/test equipment to ISS

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 12:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dracan6
I was going to do a write up on this, this morning. (I wish I had) We saw a rocket very clearly in the sky last afternoon, then come to find out out later--the launch was canceled!
How many people saw a rocket go up at the designated time yesterday afternoon?
I for one, my wife was by me, saw a rocket. A friend a few miles away saw it as well. We all have astronomy optics, and we all saw it!
To see an event, that wasn't supposed to happen. Vexed me a lot.

Now that the delayed event, blew up. I am defiantly going to have to get some stuff together. I have taken a screen shot, of the same questions on the NASA site.

Add me to that list. Me and my coworkers sat out and watched, what appeared to be the rocket launch, during the original designated time and designated trajectory (10-27-14). We were all very confused when we later heard it was postponed, and even more taken back when it exploded.

My buddy joked, "Yesterday was the real, actual launch of something very secret and important. Today they blew up the supposed rocket so that no one would ever question or look for what went up yesterday."

We live in an area situated in the vicinity of two international airports, one regional airport, and a corporate air dock. We are accustomed to seeing a variety of aircraft at a variety of altitudes,... what we saw was definitely outside the norm for normal air traffic.

edit on 10/29/14 by Sahabi because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join