It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did the UK just have an Earthquake?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   
My Nephew lives in Edwinstowe and they have loads of small tremors there, just along the road from Mansfield.

He thought he was imagining it until I showed him the EQ list for the UK.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Tue, 28 Oct 19:16 UTC M 2.6 / 7 km - [info] ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM, people have also reported it.

I heard low rumbles too here in NI, but there were no tremors, so I put it down to the missus.

www.volcanodiscovery.com...

I guess at a 7km depth you could rule out coal mining collapse per se, I think the deepest coal mine, which is in the UK is 5000 feet, around 1.5km.
edit on 28-10-2014 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 04:51 PM
link   
The global EQs will only ramp up as Hercolubus draws ever near.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Nothing in SE.

But about 10 years ago, I had friends in Manchester telling me they had earth tremors EVERY DAY for a long time that weren't felt anywhere else in the country.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: longy9999
I'm in Mansfield, Nottinghamshire and didn't feel anything yet friends on Facebook who live in Kirkby-in-Ashfield are reporting tremors.

Hey Longy, I'm in Kirkby-in-Ashfield. There are a few in Kirkby who didn't hear or feel a thing, others thought it might have been a gas explosion.

My daughter was having a snooze on the sofa in the same room as me and she was totally unaware anything had happened lol.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: doobydoll

I'm in Mansfield, Nottinghamshire and didn't feel anything yet friends on Facebook who live in Kirkby-in-Ashfield are reporting tremors.

Hey Longy, I'm in Kirkby-in-Ashfield. There are a few in Kirkby who didn't hear or feel a thing, others thought it might have been a gas explosion.

My daughter was having a snooze on the sofa in the same room as me and she was totally unaware anything had happened lol.

Is there any mine shafts running under that area? The hollow space underground could account for the extra shaking. We have the Clipstone mines close to here but not sure how close they re to where we live.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 05:27 AM
link   
a reply to: doobydoll

theres a uk site you can go on and make a report and they will email you back telling you if there was anything recorded. i used it 2 years ago and was surprised at the personal email i got back.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 05:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: doobydoll

Is there any mine shafts running under that area? The hollow space underground could account for the extra shaking. We have the Clipstone mines close to here but not sure how close they re to where we live.

Yes there are quite a few redundant coal mines around here. I suppose that seeing as they're no longer maintained and haven't been for years they'll all cave in one day, and hopefully take with them all the new housing developments that have been/are being built so close to the main shafts.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Post Galcial Rebound

Post-glacial rebound (sometimes called continental rebound, glacial isostasy, glacial isostatic adjustment) is the rise of land masses that were depressed by the huge weight of ice sheets during the last glacial period, through a process known as isostasy. It affects northern Europe (especially Scotland, Estonia, Fennoscandia, and northern Denmark), Siberia, Canada, the Great Lakes of Canada and the United States, the coastal region of the US state of Maine, parts of Patagonia, and Antarctica.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 06:37 AM
link   
We'v had a few earthquakes here in the UK, I lived in Folkestone kent during the last earthquake about 5 years ago and that's not the only one we'v had down here because there's a minor fault line in the English channel
The last one scared the crap out of me i was still in bed and actually thought dungeness power station which is just a few miles along the coast had blown up when our house started moving and shaking, its certainly not the nicest way to be woken up lol

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 06:58 AM
link   
a reply to: babybunnies

It's no "big mystery" at all, in fact, earthquakes are quite common in the UK but are usually so small they go unnoticed. However, just a cursory glance through the interwebs over the past 5 years alone will show this is a common occurrence.

This is no different. The UK is full of fault lines, not to mention old mines, some going back centuries. For example, Reading is built on a chalk deposit and our wizened ancestors thought nothing of tunnelling through it like rabbits, so that nowadays a bit of heavy rain is enough to precipitate a collapse, taking entire streets with it.
edit on 29/10/14 by stumason because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 07:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

the uk gets earthquakes quite often but they are only small ones .

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Report your possible earthquake here

www.earthquakes.bgs.ac.uk...

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 08:13 PM
link   
you must be very young.
in UK we have had a Lot of earth quacks
I woke one time to my door rattling like mad
and the light swinging.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 08:35 PM
link   
www.dailymail.co.uk...
i saw this on my local news , could this be the source ?

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 03:29 AM
link   
a reply to: UKDane

No....That wouldn't cause anything anywhere near powerful enough - it was just a bog standard, little earthquake

Besides, that interception was in Kent/Essex. The earthquake was in Nottinghamshire, quite some distance away.
edit on 30/10/14 by stumason because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 04:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: buddha
you must be very young.
in UK we have had a Lot of earth quacks
I woke one time to my door rattling like mad
and the light swinging.

I am 56 years young.

In my lifetime I have experienced two 'shaker' quakes, this one and the one we had a few years ago. Yes we have lots of EQ's in the UK but we rarely get ones which shake our homes.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 06:20 AM
link   
It was the Sonic Boom of two Typhoon jets intercepting a Latvian cargo plane over Kent.

The jets launched from Conningsby in Lincs and were 'authorised' to go supersonic so as to intercept this Latvian aircraft flying from Italy to Birmingham airport...

Regards

PDUK

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 06:51 AM
link   
a reply to: PurpleDog UK

No, it wasn't!

Aside from the British Geological survey confirming a 2.6 tremor at a depth of 4.4 miles underground, there is the obvious time difference. The tremor struck at 19.17 GMT on 28th October, while the interception occurred yesterday (29th October) with the sonic boom being recorded at 16.40 GMT, so some 21 hours after the earthquake....

British Geological Survey

Latvian - RAF interception

I don't mean to be snarky, but this is simple, verifiable information that you haven't bothered to even look up. Honestly, it's no longer "deny ignorance" around here, more like "promote ignorance"...
edit on 30/10/14 by stumason because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join