It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did the UK just have an Earthquake?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   
About 10-15 minutes ago my house just shook and there was a small rumble too. It lasted about 2-3 seconds. According to my FB news feed many other people felt it too. I am in Nottinghamshire.

Did we just have a small Earthquake?

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: doobydoll
I'm in Lincolnshire, noticed nothing.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: doobydoll
About 10-15 minutes ago my house just shook and there was a small rumble too. It lasted about 2-3 seconds. According to my FB news feed many other people felt it too. I am in Nottinghamshire.

Did we just have a small Earthquake?

Can't find a registry yet. Only thing close was in Iceland..a 4.4 according to RSOE. At 4:52 local time Iceland.

Surely you couldn't have felt that..

edit on 28-10-2014 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 02:58 PM
link   

probably as theres actually quite a few that happen every year, doesnt help that pretty much the place is full of mine shafts as well so when they settle it moves a bit causing a bit of trouble,but most are in the 1-2 range so basically things get bounced about a bit and thats it but the main thing is ...were you upto anything "naughty" and did the earth move for you

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

Everyone in my local area felt it, my fb news feed is red hot with people asking wth it was, and saying their houses were shaking.
edit on 28-10-2014 by doobydoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Maybe something blew up? ....I'm not seeing anything on "USGS Earthquake "site....only Iceland and Pakistan...but I doubt you'd feel it.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   
According to UK geological service it measured 1.3

Edit - sorry, source was from the last Earthquake you had in June this year.
edit on 28.10.2014 by flammadraco because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: flammadraco
According to UK geological service it measured 1.3

Did they say what it was?

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Here’ s the Helicorder from the British Geological Survey ???

www.earthquakes.bgs.ac.uk...

Could it have been an explosion?

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Locals are saying it was a bit of a tremor.

I posted because it's just so unusual to feel such things where I live.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Meldionne1

Any Fracking sites near you?

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Like Maxatoria said.
You do get them..

I was a bit surprised ..
I thought the UK never got them..
I'm curious of the source and magnitude.

Here in the U.S. I never felt one unless it was a 3.0 or higher.. unless it was very shallow ..
If its something else.. then stay safe.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Maybe UK gets small EQ from time to time due to caves collapsing.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 03:22 PM
link   
curious indeed ... had something a bit tremorish in N.Norfolk around 2.45 this afternoon
... a bit rumbly today

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   
BBC Radio Nottingham has a fb page and they've just posted that they're receiving reports of a tremor ...

BBC Radio Nottingham
29 minutes ago
Reports coming into BBC Radio Nottingham of an earth tremor in Nottinghamshire. We're confirming it at the moment - but did you feel the earth move? and where?

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Here is an article from January of 2014
Claiming:
“Britains Earthquake Capital Sleepy Nottinghamshire” blaming it back in January on mining.

HOW MINING CAN CAUSE EARTHQUAKES
Earthquakes are usually the result of a slip along per-existing faults in the earth.
According to the British Geological Survey, human activities, including mining, can change the state of stress near faults.
Likely causes of changing stress are the ‘removal of sub-surface rock', or it can also be caused 'by the collapse of old mine workings, which can move the faults closer to failure and result in induced earthquakes’.
The body says: ‘This process is only likely to affect faults within relatively small distances of the stress perturbation and mining induced earthquakes generally within of a few kilometres of the mining activity.
‘Similarly, sometimes the induced events occur shortly after the mining activity begins, but in other cases they happen long after it has ceased.’

www.dailymail.co.uk... -say-mining-blame.html

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Maybe some tech coming back from the Middle East? My odds are that Zaphod will have an ear to the ground on this one if so.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Here we go:
Summary

DATE 28/10/2014
ORIGIN TIME 19:16:54.6 UTC
LOCATION 53.057 -1.191
DEPTH 7 km
MAGNITUDE 2.6
LOCALITY MANSFIELD,NOTTS
www.earthquakes.bgs.ac.uk...=summary

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I'm in Mansfield, Nottinghamshire and didn't feel anything yet friends on Facebook who live in Kirkby-in-Ashfield are reporting tremors.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   
These low frequency rumbles, accompanied by shaking, have been felt around the world. Many are earthquakes, but many are not.

This low level rumbling sound has been heard in areas that don't typically sustain earthquakes, and have been sometimes linked to possible Fracking sites, but nothing conclusive has been proved.

It's a big mystery.

If it's not linked to one of these rumblings, it could have been a earthquake.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join