It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conservative dad threatens ‘****storm’ if daughter’s world history class includes Islam

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   
too much propaganda is bad. We know this.

Fox news is all propaganda, not news. Sean Hannity(Just using him as one example), never ever goes after or complains about a republican and he never will. Or if he does, it's like 1% of the time. That's his job. Never trust a man or a person or who can't or more accurately, won't see the whole picture.

Back to the Islam thing...I don't think they should call him "The Prophet" Mohammed. Just Mohammed and Islam should be touched on in school with some basic facts, otherwise our children are going to grow up more stupid then they already are. We can't stick our heads in the sand. The Bible should be touched on as well but Jesus should just be called Jesus and NOT the Messiah. Just some good basic education and facts.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

Well, it was the fall of Rome that contributed to the dark ages. Feudal power was based on the church since political power and authority for governance faced a vacuum in the wake of Romes fall.

In Spain for example, the last great age for Spain was the age of the Catholic kings. After that and even up to know we kind of suck ass.

Europe had it going on with Rome. Then it was gone and Barbarian tribal /northern pagan culture, that was Romes traditional enemy, was a threat to the civilized world. The church was just a mechanism for political power in the new system of feudal governance.

The church took the position it did on so many things like education since it tried to maintain a central point of governance from Rome even though that was fundamentally flawed tactic by working from a weakened centralized base in Rome. All the schisms and break away cults of Christianity were a product of trying to rebuild the new Europe with the remains of the former empire, which failed itself for the same reasons feudal Europe failed.

edit on 10 28 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 04:51 PM
link   
You're taking it to literally again. Take the inquisition. That could be taught that the sect of Catholics, The Jesuits, persecuted those not of their faith who they saw as pagan. That does not mean you have to go into the semantics of the Jesuit religious doctrine to teach about the inquisition. Exactly the same as the crusades or any other religious conflicts throughout history.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

We may have but I do not think the world was listening

Were you the one who quoted that if the creator was worried about the score of a football game we are in deep crap

I think children should learn about all of them

Then we wait and watch if any of them become Incan Priest

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Just more proof that at least in America, it is the religious right that is oppressing other people's and religions, not the other way around.

The fundamentalist Christians consider as "oppression" anything that doesn't conform with their world view OR ensures the equal participation of other religious and philosophic groups.

"Oh what, you ain't allowing this school to be only for Christians and now other people can have their religious icons and prayer? WHY YOU BE OPPRESSING CHRISTIANS."

"Wait wait, you now want federal holidays to reflect other religions too, not just Judeo-Christian ones? You are the spawn of Satan with your War on Christmas."

"Wait, you don't recognize our right as Christians to dictate government policy on gay marriage based purely on OUR religious beliefs? Why you are oppressing Christians."

"Damn you Califurnian hippy vegan gay commie boys" and "you are Muslim-lubbers."

originally posted by: olaru12
www.rawstory.com...

angry father has been banned from a Maryland high school’s campus after he made vague but ominous threats against the school because his daughter’s history homework mentioned the Islamic faith.

BayNet.com reported that La Plata High School in Charles County, Maryland has issued a No Trespass order after parent Kevin Wood — a former U.S. Marine — called the school and threatened to disrupt classes if his daughter’s world history class continued to study the religion and its impact on human history.

Wood reportedly telephoned Vice Principal Shannon Morris last Thursday enraged over a homework assignment which dealt with the formation of Middle Eastern empires centuries ago. History teacher Katie O’Malley Simpson said that the history curriculum has never been considered controversial in the past.

“The assignment has been given for years,” O’Malley-Simpson said.

La Plata High School Principal Evelyn Arnold issued a No Trespass order against Wood after hearing about the contentious call, in which Wood promised to come to the school and disrupt classes if Islam was mentioned any further.

The difference between History and Religious indoctrination seems to be lost on those who have let ideology get in the way of their common sense.

“I told her straight up ‘you could take that Muslim-loving piece of paper and shove it up your white [expletive],” Wood said on Monday. “If [students] can’t practice Christianity in school, they should not be allowed to practice Islam in school.”

Wood told Superintendent Morris that the school is violating his daughter’s “constitutional rights” and threatened to “bring down a s **it-storm on them like they’ve never seen.”

Mr. Wood should take this to court and let his grievances be known and aired in a public forum.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 08:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
a reply to: olaru12

Stupid

The class is "world History"

So no # Sherlock its going to include Islam

If the course only focused on Islam or had a pro Islam slant then id get the anger but just for covering it?

A lot of ignorant 'Mericans are totally oblivious to real history and live in a Fox News/Conservative Biblical mythological bubble.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 08:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
I think the most of you are wrong! History Is made by the people of their times not their religion. The history of a religion has nothing to do with the history of a country. If talking about the Middle East the predominant people were race led ie. Arabs, Jews, Egyptians and other races. Their religion is just an aside. Like when talking about Romans persecuting the Jews, they were persecuting them for being Jews not because of their Abrahamic religion. A prime example for you. When the teachers teach about the 2nd world war with the Japanese will they also teach about Shinto? I think not. When they talk of the Roman empire do they give their pupils a in depth lesson on the Roman pantheon of gods? No they do not, they just treat the Roman pantheon of gods as an aside, as it should be. There should be no reason whatsoever to teach children about any religion(unless it's a faith school) as it could be construed as indoctrination, subtle but indoctrination all the same. If religion is to be taught in a history class all religions should be discussed at once with no preference given to one or the other.

False, religions are major historical movements, more powerful than the vast majority of movements. It is the same as studying some famous philosophy and its impact on some culture and people. Religions such as Hinduism, Christianity, Islam, and so on DO need to be studied and ARE studied in history because you cannot understand some of the historical trends, good or bad, nor what motivated some people or laws, without doing so.

This is why virtually all secular historians, many of whom are atheists, would disagree with you. As an educator, I would too.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 09:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Chrisfishenstein
a reply to: Krazysh0t I ..... don't need facts .... to form my opinion.

Who needs facts when forming an opinion? All you need is a few thousand year old books that have been heavily edited throughout the ages to form an opinion.

Thank you for finally admitting that religious people don't need facts to sustain their beliefs.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 10:13 PM
link   

These are the types of idiots that deserve to die in the warzone.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 05:12 AM
link   
I don't think with the example of islam we all have of the in fighting and atrocities carried out by muslim against muslim islam has anything to offer the word except a form of art which personally I don't find that exotic - just consistently uniform.

However I don't believe that religion should be taught to kids under the formative years and today, not until they are in their teens and then only as an overview. The balance of showing both sides of its impact on humans and how religion has played out, eg the burnings, stonings etc and the murder of people who dared to question its dogma against the personal faiths in the feeling that man is not alone and someone else (G0d) is finally responsible for all his acts whilst he lives in some dreamed up world after having died elsewhere- although ask any CEO and banker and he doesn't believe in accountability at all.

Dangerous subject that causes wars, pain and guilt that gives men in frocks an unelected right to have their say and be listened to - without anyone asking why - we just accept these men and their homosexuality which they claim is wrong - what can you say about religion with the way its been presented today, except should it be taught in schools and children brainwashed into it?

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 05:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Shiloh7

That's great and all, but nothing at all to do with what this school is teaching and has seemingly been doing without question for years...

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 07:25 AM
link   
How is this girl going to learn about the 9-11 attacks in her history class if she can't hear the word "Islam" or "Muslim"?

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 07:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shiloh7
I don't think with the example of islam we all have of the in fighting and atrocities carried out by muslim against muslim islam has anything to offer the word except a form of art which personally I don't find that exotic - just consistently uniform.

However I don't believe that religion should be taught to kids under the formative years and today, not until they are in their teens and then only as an overview. The balance of showing both sides of its impact on humans and how religion has played out, eg the burnings, stonings etc and the murder of people who dared to question its dogma against the personal faiths in the feeling that man is not alone and someone else (G0d) is finally responsible for all his acts whilst he lives in some dreamed up world after having died elsewhere- although ask any CEO and banker and he doesn't believe in accountability at all.

Dangerous subject that causes wars, pain and guilt that gives men in frocks an unelected right to have their say and be listened to - without anyone asking why - we just accept these men and their homosexuality which they claim is wrong - what can you say about religion with the way its been presented today, except should it be taught in schools and children brainwashed into it?

What's wrong with kids learning about Islam? Islam is a religion about Jesus. Jesus is the most quoted prophet in the Quran. It has more in common with Christianity than Judaism does.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 07:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe
Poor guy.....seems he may need to go back to school as well. History class typically teaches of how Christianity came about as well......it isn't like they are reciting from a religious text. But I guess some would rather their kids be sheltered from everything and grow up to be just as ignorant as their parents.

But I can also read between the lines with the spin the article author and the school tried to put on it. Not sure how the author deemed this guy was a conservative because he doesn't want his kid being taught Islam though....sounds like a reporter wanting to make more controversy out of an already stupid situation.

I'd have to see some more detail because the story I heard yesterday said that for the class they were made to read from a religious text.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 07:38 AM
link   
a reply to: NavyDoc

And? Perhaps that bit of religious text was relevant to the historical context of the lesson.

It's quite hard to separate Islam itself from the Islamic Empire, for obvious reasons.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 07:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: whyamIhere
a reply to: sheepslayer247

Do you watch Fox News ?

Can you give me example of somebody saying Fox News inspired them ?

I watch Fox News. It doesn't make me make stupid demands at School.

I didn't mean you are ignorant...i just won't blame a News Network for one dumb guy.

Well fox news is pretty dumb
The words biased, knee jerk, reactionary, hyperbole, inflammatory come to mind

And those are the same qualitys shared by the dad in the op....

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 07:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Chrisfishenstein

I am on his side here....Kid's can't even learn Christianity anymore but they cover Islam religions?? Even if it is just "covering" it, it is still brought up....That shouldn't be the case, if they want to speak about the location, fine, the people, fine, but the religion....NOPE!!

I did find some material in another link:misguidedchil... dren.com/domestic-affairs/2014/10/maryland-school-bans-marine-veteran-over-daughters-homework/31915

It seemed to be a pretty detailed explanation of the religion itself, rather than the socio-political role. It also was entirely positive with zero negatives. Kind of like teaching about the affects of Christianity on history and then ignoring the Spanish Inquisition and saying that Christians were the most enlightened and loving peoples of all time. One can see a bit of bias here, IMHO.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Are you kidding me? You can't learn about human history without touching on religions at some point. I'm not religious, and have zero issues with that aspect. FFS, what kind of rock does this moron live under anyway? And why was it necessary to try to incite emotions with mentioning his past military service? It's not like serving instantly makes you smarter. If anything, he's striking me as an example to hold up as to why intelligence standards should be beefed up some for recruitment.

Show me a curriculum, any kind -- religious or secular, that accurately represents cultures & civilizations of the past without making a single mention of the religious influences & whys of the time periods. It cannot be done without leaving massive holes in understanding all over the place.

Whatever public tarring & feathering this guy gets, he earned it.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 08:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: KingIcarus
a reply to: NavyDoc

And? Perhaps that bit of religious text was relevant to the historical context of the lesson.

It's quite hard to separate Islam itself from the Islamic Empire, for obvious reasons.

IIR, one issue was memorizing and reciting the Shahada. IMHO, this would be no different than requiring a child to know the Lord's Prayer as part of a history class.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 08:02 AM
link   
I think much that tends to be lost is in context of the lesson. How can one discuss say the ages past Rome, and not mention Islam or Christianity, as both sets of ideologies have shaped the world that we know it. How can they teach about say how Spain came to be, or even about the numerous crusades without mentioning Islam? How can one teach about say World War I and leave out one of the principle countries involved in this conflict? And what about math, and some of the early sciences?

And what if a student asks about such, do we now hide these facts from them?

This parent needs to be involved in the schooling of his daughter, but he should at least look at what is being taught before making one judgement?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join