It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jill Tarter confrontation: SETI is spreading disinformation concerning alien contact on Earth

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
a reply to: DJW001
I agree. The listening for radio signals with a conch shell thing. Let alone travel among the stars.

So why do they do it?

Well if they develop technologically like us they would have went through a phase of using radio so as our first radio signals are more than 100 light years out so could another race's.

There has to be something else out there I just doubt it's close enough to visit.
edit on 28-10-2014 by wmd_2008 because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-10-2014 by wmd_2008 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Urantia1111
a reply to: MysterX

I think of it as more of a smokescreen from the public. Kinda like NASA. It would look mighty suspicious if our government was making no effort whatsoever to explore space or look for ET, so they set up these half-assed puppet shows for the citizenry to watch and say "well, they're looking but they just can't find anything...". Meanwhile the real programs and contact are all done and funded in secret.

I think you've pretty much it it on the head. They can't NOT have some kind of program.

I think who we assume are the "brightest minds" in science are really the B-team people. I believe the A-listers and "all star" minds of this planet are discovered and hand picked to work on secret projects before they graduate or make themselves known in the scientific community.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: draknoir2

originally posted by: signalfire
I wonder if they've talked to Richard Dolan? Seems like he's found plenty to indicate long term government knowledge of extraterrestrial presence on Earth, and he's a trained and respected historian.

The sum total of information on this topic seems to be being ignored by SETI.

Probably because the investigation of alleged UFO/Alien contact on Earth has nothing to do with what SETI does.

Calling that exchange a "confrontation" is like calling oatmeal spicy.

So the 'Search for ExtraTerrestrial Intelligence' doesn't include anyone who has already gotten here?

Got it.

Agree on the oatmeal comment. Audience members who painfully slowly ask easily sidestepped questions annoy me.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: wmd_2008

No it's the VAST DISTANCES between stars that and that fact many seem brainwashed on the internet into thinking that our part of a 100,000 light year across Galaxy is teeming with life because a bunch of internet fruit loops say it is.

If the Universe has always been there then the "big" radio stations would be on the air forever, signals criss-crossing the void back and forth, no?

I personally hold we are listening to the wrong frequencies, or the signal is encrypted. Like all internet traffic.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Well if they develop technologically like us they would have went through a phase of using radio so as our first radio signals are more than 100 light years out so could another race's.

How do we know if our signals are able to leave the solar system even?

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: draknoir2

I wonder if they've talked to Richard Dolan? Seems like he's found plenty to indicate long term government knowledge of extraterrestrial presence on Earth, and he's a trained and respected historian.

The sum total of information on this topic seems to be being ignored by SETI.

Probably because the investigation of alleged UFO/Alien contact on Earth has nothing to do with what SETI does.

Calling that exchange a "confrontation" is like calling oatmeal spicy.

So the 'Search for ExtraTerrestrial Intelligence' doesn't include anyone who has already gotten here?

Got it.

Unless the preferred method for investigating alleged alien contact on earth is pointing a giant parabolic dish in the direction of the encounter, I'd say it doesn't.

It's also not NASA's job.

And besides, if they're already here "staring us straight in the face", as it were, it should be fairly easy to produce one of them, right?

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Aren't we still talking to Voyager 1 and 2?
edit on 28-10-2014 by draknoir2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 05:07 PM
link   

No it's the VAST DISTANCES between stars that and that fact many seem brainwashed on the internet into thinking that our part of a 100,000 light year across Galaxy is teeming with life because a bunch of internet fruit loops say it is.

If the Universe has always been there then the "big" radio stations would be on the air forever, signals criss-crossing the void back and forth, no?

I personally hold we are listening to the wrong frequencies, or the signal is encrypted. Like all internet traffic.

Even if encrypted it would still look artificial would it not, and the frequency looked at was picked for a few reasons would yours?

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 09:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Urantia1111
a reply to: MysterX

I think of it as more of a smokescreen from the public. Kinda like NASA. It would look mighty suspicious if our government was making no effort whatsoever to explore space or look for ET, so they set up these half-assed puppet shows for the citizenry to watch and say "well, they're looking but they just can't find anything...". Meanwhile the real programs and contact are all done and funded in secret.

SETI is not government funded. It is run by privately donated funds.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Before I speculate that our signals can't leave the solar system, I would need to hear a good reason why they couldn't.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 09:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Jack Jouett

SETI could very well be being used to contact aliens. All the equipment is already present and the info could be re-routed.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Even if encrypted it would still look artificial would it not, and the frequency looked at was picked for a few reasons would yours?

Not if you were looking in the wrong place. By that I mean what if light was being used, like every other photon from a star or gamma rays, neutrinos, etc? Different energetic particles pass through us every day, what if they are the medium of communication? What if each type was a different character in a message like different letters of the alphabet? We just don't have the Rosetta stone.

What if gravity played a role? We can't detect gravity or, if you believe in the spirit "spectrum" identify that, either.

Again, listening for radio signals with a conch shell. If you didn't have a simple cell phone or radio today you wouldn't know that the very air is full of signals. No matter what sized conch shell you used or what direction you pointed it in… nothing.

Same with static we do detect from a variety of sources, unless you decode that correctly… its just "static".

That we haven't detected one single signal yet is telling of either they are lying to us or we are primitive as far as detecting. They lie to us about everything else…

The Universe, even the Galaxy is timeless, light reaches us from every end, we should be hearing stuff. Hearing something… anything.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 11:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

Before I speculate that our signals can't leave the solar system, I would need to hear a good reason why they couldn't.

I base that on that we haven't beamed any thing back in from something we sent out side the solar system… yet. So we really don't know. What we do know is that there doesn't seem to be any signals from out there. Well, there are emissions of every kind including radio signals. From powerful sources. Given that the Universe has been around forever where are the Big broadcasting agencies? They don't boom out advertising ala HitchHikers Guide? That stuff isn't blasting from star sized broadcasting radio "sets"? Why not? Whats to stop greed on a galactic sized scale?

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Extent of human radio broadcasts

Humans have been broadcasting radio waves into deep space for about a hundred years now, since the days of Marconi. That, of course, means there is an ever-expanding bubble announcing Humanity's presence to anyone listening in the Milky Way. This bubble is astronomically large (literally), and currently spans approximately 200 light years. But how big is this, really, compared to the size of the Galaxy in which we live (which is, itself, just one of countless billions of galaxies in the observable universe)? To answer that question, Adam Grossman put together this diagram. It's not the black square; it's the little blue dot at the center of that zoomed-in square. Adam Grossman / Nick Risinger

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 01:58 AM
link   
For all we know, they could be having inter dimensional wars, and they are picking up "I love lucy" all the way to Justin Bieber on their communications saying " By the creator, what is this awful stuff, its so primitive, it infectious for my overdeveloped brain to have processed it"?

They must of blocked our number.
edit on 29-10-2014 by Specimen because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Isn't SETI looking for signals that are both artificial and repeated? The last part is important. It's to make sure it's not a fluke. But it assumes that the ETs would be intentionaly beaming radiowaves at us. Which is a...rather bold hypothesis. All of it. Both intentionaly trying to communicate and with radio waves.

I remember that the list of SETI canditate signals was suprisingly long. There was a thread about it here once upon a time. We could, in theory, be receiving artificial signals all the time. They just aren't repeated so there is no sure way to tell.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 04:17 AM
link   

That we haven't detected one single signal yet is telling of either they are lying to us or we are primitive as far as detecting. They lie to us about everything else…

Or it's a simple as we have nobody in range yet!

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 04:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Jack Jouett

I think it is an obvious conclusion to those who have done their homework on here that SETI is the biggest Psyop of the last century or so.

Yes, 95% of sightings or so can be explained away as balloons, planes, birds, etc.

However, that still leaves thousands of credible sightings over the past 60 years or so.

I propose we dig into the origins of SETI, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Office of Naval Research involved there somehow, who have been on point with the ET program.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 05:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: DJW001
Any civilization that could tap the amount of energy that would be required to send an omnidirectional radio signal that could be detected lightyears away would probably be so advanced that they would not be using radio waves for communication! a reply to: intrptr

This is true but the flaw in that possibility deals with the fact the alien culture in your hypothetical did not start out with that advanced technology. It is entirely possible these civilizations did use radio as they developed. The first images ET will get from Earth is going to be Hitler and Nazi Germany simply because that is when our signals started filtering into space.

If we detect a radio signal from ET the issue we have, aside from deciphering it, would be to date it. The signal could very well be thousand, millions or billions of years old and would not reflect the current tech level of ET.

IMO SETI would best be described as a Hunter sitting in their blind which is located outside the forest. They look at the tree line and don't see anything however they can here something rustling through it.

What is that something.
edit on 29-10-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 05:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

It is a question of the inverse square law. Gigantic antennae are needed to receive transmissions from Voyager, and it is still inside the Oort cloud. By the time Earth's strongest radio transmissions reach the nearest star, they would be virtually undetectable. SETI is a noble effort, but I would not expect any results.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join