It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Why are you still wasting money?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 10:08 AM
A few years back, I discovered that using a quality straight razor was actually fun to learn, a soothing ritual and a good way to save money, all in one. Let's look at the cost of using a modern razor.
Gillette Fusion Proglide refills : $32.97 for a pack of 8.
Gillette Mach 3 : $ 15 for an 8 pk or up to $32 for a pack of 15.
Schick Quattro : $11.50 for a 4 pack.
There's several others, all about the same price. Or, you can buy a bag full of those single blade disposables, which IMO ain't worth havin'.

Electric shavers are ok and start around $60 and go as high as $600, but I've never gotten a very close shave with one. All these prices are quoted from from WalMart or Amazon. id=386636011

Now, let's say that pack of 4 lasts you a month. Some will get longer use per refill, some less, but we'll call one month the average. Depending on which you use, this is gonna cost you around $ 130 to $395 a year. Multiply as needed for every one in the house who shaves with their own razor.

Enter the Straight Razor.
I bought mine as a kit. Razor, shaving soap, brush, bowl and strop for about $150. $150 for something that will most likely last me the rest of my life vs paying that amount every year, year after year. I got a good quality razor and maybe even be something I can pass down to my son. No buying refills every month, no one always borrowing it to shave their legs and leaving it in the shower to rust and dull, turning it in to a torture device instead of something to shave with. All you have to do is take care of it, strop before each shave and keep it in it's case when you're not using it. You can even send them back to be resharpened for free if they get too dull. They Do Not have to be resharpened every time, just stropped, which hones them to a nice, shave ready edge. Now, you can go as high as you like when buying one. I've seen hand made straight razors over $2,000. For something you're just going to shave with, that's insane. [ Although I have seen some beautiful work ] If you're a collector...well, it's your money, do what ya like. I would if I could afford it........ Didn't claim to be sane.
But, if you've ever had a barber shop shave and enjoyed it: a hot towel, rich, thick lather in a warm bowl, the ease of a wickedly sharp blade, a $150 will be a good start. Mine is a Japanese style blade,[ this is the exact one I have ] and does a great job. Most, such as Dovo, another good brand, are the folding type and usually what people think of if you mention straight razors.

You also find some really great shaving soaps when you start looking past the canned foam crap.
My favorite [ and my wife's ] is Taylor of Old Bond Street Eton College, although it comes in many different scents such as Sandalwood or LemonLime. There are several good brands out there, you just have to experiment and pick your own favorite. With a good brush and a little warm water, you're on your way to an extremely close shave.

Yes, you're going to nick yourself, some times badly. [There's a reason they're called cut throat razors ] but, if you're careful and take your time, once you learn to use a straight razor, I don't think you'll ever go back to that cheaply made, but expensive to use, plastic junk that you've got now.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 10:26 AM
I don't shave-

Saves a fortune, in time as well as tools.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 10:27 AM
a reply to: DAVID64

My dad used one of those for years. They scare the ever-loving hell outta me. Too many horror movies or something.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 10:31 AM
a reply to: DAVID64

almost every job i have had i had to i let it grow out with the ocasional shave...ive always considered going to straight razor but just didnt know much about it or had the balls to really do it...this may be the thread to make me try! besides its so much more manly using one and it can also serve as a weapon!

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 10:47 AM
I have a old fashioned single edge razor. I get a lot of shaves out of one blade. The blades are around $8 for a pack of 15. I found the razor at a rummage sale for $3. You can sharpen those blades if you care to. Just take the blade out of the razor, wet it and hold it inside a drinking glass, pushing it flat against the side and rotating it around the glass. Then you flip it over and do the same to the other side of the blade.

PS: I like the Damascus blade on that straight razor.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 10:56 AM
Razor blades must be made by the same people that make chewing gum. The price of both seems ridiculous to me.
I go with electric by the way.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 11:15 AM
There's a reason the 'Oracle of Omaha' invested in Gillette; he realized that people would need to buy disposable razors over and over again (I wonder how many billions of those damn things are in landfills?)

Kill off Wall Street - grow a beard; they're sexy as all get out.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 11:15 AM
I have a chrome Merkur and a bakelite for traveling.
Feather gives me the closest shave but I get ingrown hairs because it cuts so close.
I got 200 dovers for 18 dollars and they are about right for me.
I use 2 blades a week.
9 cents a blade.
Skin is much will bleed a bit when you start using these blades.

Something else.

I used to buy 2 venti cappuccinos from starbucks every day.
Did the math.
$ 4000 ... four thousand dollars.
No kidding.

After kicking myself repeatedly, I bought an espresso machine and grinder.
Took some effort as it's a real espresso machine, got good at it.
Realized that Starbucks really isn't very good at all. My stuff is much better.
Save $3900 a year and get buzzed as much as I want.
edit on 28-10-2014 by badgerprints because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 11:17 AM
Greetings- Also if You rinse the blade, any blade with isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) and store away from water/moisture the blades will last 7x-10x longer. I shave My chin and most of My face as well as My head and I got 8 months out of 1 Winn-Dixie™ brand 'cheapie' this after rinsing the blade in a medicine bottle of rubbing alcohol.

I got the one from the PawnStore guy and it absolutely SUCKS!! It would be great for the 13th Century when "blood letting" was the norm, but with Winter coming up? Yeah, thanks No..

I'd opine this has to do with the 'hard water' dulls the blade but I didn't really look further into the 'oxidation of fine metallic properties' (this is ATS™ after all,...) I tried it and it worked. As You can tell I'm not trying to $ell You anything, in fact, I'm trying to save You some $$ if'n You don't want to try the 'straight blade' or are known as 'Shakey' to Your friends...

If I ever found REAL blades and not these crap tinfoil ones? I'd be up for it...

Here is to Your "steady hand" and some good smelling shaving cream I put in this beer mug:

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 11:39 AM
I wouldn't say shaving with a Mach III is a "waste of money." It's a delight. I've never been cut with one. And the genuine blades (not the knock offs) last for a couple months each. I can afford 6 refills a year.

There are a whole lot of things I could "save money on" if I did them the way they were done 100-200 years ago. Perhaps there's some value in nostalgia, but usually it's just a pain in the butt. I could wash my clothes in a tub and hang them out to dry on a line. I could still use an old bakelite telephone hooked to the POTS network. But I'd prefer to lead a modern life, and using a "safety razor" (They're called that for a reason.) is one of them.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 11:42 AM
I solved this problem by going full Grizzly Addams.

Beard life.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 12:33 PM
He that hath a beard is more than a youth, he that hath no beard is less than a man.
- William Shakespeare

If your dad doesn't have a beard, you've got two mums.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 12:59 PM
I only have to shave once or twice a month. I didn't start growing a moustache until my late 30's. I grow a chin-beard, but I just let it grow...trim up with scissors every now and then. I have to do a little touch up every now and then to get rid of a few random hairs on my face. I've been using the same disposable razor for over a year.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 01:29 PM
straight edge is cool. but if you are looking to save money, $150/year really doesn't justify it.

I spend maybe $50/year on my quattro. My wife, another $50 on hers.

But i am "fast and loose" with shaving, doing it maybe 2 times every 3 weeks.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 01:53 PM

originally posted by: skunkape23
I only have to shave once or twice a month. I didn't start growing a moustache until my late 30's. I grow a chin-beard, but I just let it grow...trim up with scissors every now and then. I have to do a little touch up every now and then to get rid of a few random hairs on my face. I've been using the same disposable razor for over a year.

Yeah but your avatar is clean shaven? Whats gives? LOL!!

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 05:27 PM
a reply to: rockpaperhammock

There's a learning curve for sure, but many get cut for the wrong reason. Being afraid of it, they press too lightly instead of too heavily. Steady pressure at the correct angle and keep the skin tight.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 05:29 PM
a reply to: JimNasium

That's what I keep telling my wife. Dry the razor after use. It helps keep it from rusting and they last longer.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 05:32 PM
a reply to: DrBones666

So, having a beard is what makes you a man? I always thought it was standing for what you believe in, being a man of your word, taking care of your family, being a good husband and father, etc...
Silly me. All this time all I had to do was grow a beard.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 05:39 PM
I think some women could shave with a hacksaw blade and not be bothered. That comes from the experience of shaving my face after the women in my life shaved their legs with my razor and put it back in the medicine cabinet. Then they continued to use it because I couldn't. It pulled more hair out of my face than it cut. How can they stand it? That happened with two different women.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 05:40 PM
I kicked the shaving habit about a month ago - at first as a joke in honor of Mark Hamil's contractually obligated beard ( Yes part of his contract for the new Star Wars movies is that he has to keep a real beard until he is finished filming ). I had never really grown a beard before ( other than a goatee or Van Dyke ) and figured I would last about a week before the itching took over and I would shave.

Now I love my beard.

If a time should ever come for me to shave again, I'll go back to what I used to use - the Mach 3 disposable knock-offs that Wal Mart sells - 8 for $4.00. Every bit as good as any other razor I ever used ( at least with my skin, which is pretty rugged ) at a fraction of the cost.

top topics

<<   2 >>