It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Box Turtle Hatchling (Warning: Contains Images of Extreme Cuteness)

page: 1

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 09:30 AM

So, my wife and I were hanging out in the backyard this weekend, and I go to check on our pool...The leaves are really starting to poor down, and they clog up every part of the pipes and skimmers!

I go to dump the skimmer basket, and there he was, just circling the drain in our pool, water-logged and looking super close to death! He's a tiny little guy...For the sake of size comparison, maybe a little larger than the size of a quarter. Well I fished him out, let him soak up some sun, and did a little research about the kind of habitat we would need to keep him in to help him back on his feet, so to speak.

We have him in a large enclosure, filled mostly with soil, a rock, some hiding spaces, and a warm/shallow pool - We've provided him with lettuce, carrots, banana, some turtle pellets...But he doesn't seem to have an appetite. In fact, he's remained buried under the soil for the past 24 hours!

Apparently we're now entering the hibernation period for most turtles...But given that he's so young, I'm afraid that he hasn't eaten enough. Anyone know if this is pretty normal behavior for a turtle this age, at this time of year?
edit on 10/28/2014 by EnronOutrunHomerun because: spelling

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 09:48 AM
Maybe try giving him some nutrient filled liquids?

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 10:06 AM
a reply to: WonOunce

Thanks! Yeah, I've heard that pedialyte not only cures adult hangovers, but is the preferred drink of turtles worldwide...Might give that a shot.
edit on 10/28/2014 by EnronOutrunHomerun because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 10:51 AM

originally posted by: EnronOutrunHomerun
a reply to: WonOunce

Thanks! Yeah, I've heard that pedialyte not only cures adult hangovers, but is the preferred drink of turtles worldwide...Might give that a shot.

Pedialyte is a ripoff. Drink Gatorade. Lots of it.

I don't think that turtle is old enough to be on his own. You should keep him for the winter.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 10:52 AM
a reply to: EnronOutrunHomerun

What a cutiepie! Not sure about turtles but he's most likely recovering from his near death experience. Keep him where you can observe him for next few days, probably exhausted. And if you see him peeking out entice him with a worm or wax worm, some kind of crawly. He won't be able to resist.

Our salamander has just about gone into hibernation. She has fattened up and is still looking for food even though she looks near to bursting. Soon she'll burrow into her den and we won't see her until spring. She's in the house so her natural schedule is off a bit but we're seeing her piggyness sighs, ha.

He is super cute. I'm sure he's just fine.

Keep us posted!

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 11:21 AM
a reply to: ccseagull

Great advice - Thanks! You're right...he's probably in recovery mode! I'll definitely keep ya posted...

Spruce - Haha...Yeah, we'll be keeping him for sure! At least until he/she is big enough to fend for himself.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 11:27 AM
Could try whipping up a protein drink for it. Pulverize some worms, snails whatever mix with water and use an eye dropper drip it at the side of his mouth and see if he takes it. It worked for a a baby red-ear I rescued as a kid.
edit on 10/28/2014 by Kukri because: grmmar

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 02:12 PM
If he doesn't perk up soon, especially if you have him under heat, I'd advise finding a vet who does exotics to look at him. If he was nearly drowned, he might have water down in his lungs, and it would be bad to get pneumonia or the turtly equivalent from the near drowning.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 02:19 PM
ETA: looking over the picture I don't think you have a box turtle but some aquatic variety instead.

Good save! Box turtles hatch out in the spring/early summer and wait inside until fall to venture out. If you see a quarter-sized hole next to or on a dirt trail look inside, it could be a nest. There was a park where I walked the trails everyday and one certain section seemed to have just the right soil for them to dig. The problem was mountain bikers used the same trails regularly. We tried marking the nests to no avail and had to resort to putting fair sized logs around them to prevent them from being crushed. To later find the shells empty and the hatchlings gone was a wonderful feeling. Somewhere I have a picture of one of these little guys peering out of the hole at me. I'll have to see if I can find it.

Turtles won't be eating now, box turtles will find a snug place under some debris to wait out the winter, aquatic turtles will dig in under the mud of a stream or pond.
edit on 28-10-2014 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 02:37 PM
I don't know anything about turtles. Is it safe to keep them in an aquarium during the winter and then let them go in the spring? I mean an aquarium without a ton of water. Keep him warm inside and have some food and water available if he needs it? Or is that a bad idea for a wild little turtle?

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 09:41 PM
There are different kinds of box turtles. You first need to establish that it is indeed a box turtle as different types of turtles have different needs and environments. You may have to look up turtles indigenous to your state. There are always care pages about any kind of turtle so you will know how to properly care for it. I wouldn't waste any time.

I have a tropical aquatic turtle and have him in a big tank with a deck thing he can climb up on to sun bathe. His water needs to be heated in the winter. He never hibernates. I had him since he was the size of a quarter and is now bigger than my whole hand.

Newly hatched turtles of different types can be cared for and raised nicely.
edit on 28-10-2014 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 10:31 AM
He's sooo cute! I love turtles.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 12:12 PM
So, how is the little guy doing?????

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 05:48 PM
a reply to: Night Star

Oy vey.....

It's with a heavy heart that I have to admit, he's gone MIA

Just this afternoon, I noticed he was out-and-about and snapped this photo on my phone

I had him outside to get a little sun...I go inside for a little while, and come back out to check on him, and he was gone! I dug through the whole container with no luck.

My only thought is that a bird/hawk must have snatched the poor little guy up...I had dug up a few worms and stuck them in there with him. Perhaps they saw the worms first, and then spotted an even tastier snack.

Sorry for the bad ending you guys...My wife and I are pretty bummed and feel sad for the guy - At least we gave him a little longer than he would have had stuck in the pool drain.

RIP Filbert the Turtle

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 11:22 PM
Oh no! Poor little thing. Oh well, you tried. Sorry to hear the bad news.

new topics

top topics