It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do we have to work 40hrs a week?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 06:30 AM
link   
a reply to: SearchLightsInc

To pay for your family to eat and not be a tick feeding off fellow humans.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 06:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ceeker63
I think this idea of staying open 24 hrs came from Sam Walton. When he built his first stores they closed early like everyone else. Then he had a brilliant idea to keep them open 24 hrs. Everyone else just followed suite, to compete.

Actually the first retailer to open 24 hours was Meijer Grocery in 1934 during the Depression.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 07:10 AM
link   
You can work sixty hours if you want on some jobs. You aren't always stuck on forty.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 07:13 AM
link   

I look at it this way.

If I was living in the wilderness, I would spend all day either hunting, laying traps, gathering edible plants and medicinal flora, building or maintaining my shelter, finding resources to make hunting equipment and other tools from, finding clean water or filtering and processing it into a consumable format, finding firewood, finding kindling, making breakfast, lunch and dinner, boiling off sea water to obtain salt for preserving foodstuffs...

That would be far more than a dawn to dusk job, and there would be no day off. Ever.

Now, I would rather prefer that, for all that it would be hard, because many of the modern things in life make me sick. Forms to fill in, banking, receipts and paperwork of every kind, they all make me volcanically angry, because they are damned unnatural, and human beings were never meant to have lives which revolved around these things. Government thinks its job is to provide security, but I believe its job ought to be to protect liberty, and it fails, always, without exception in this modern age.

So much of our lives revolve around utterly abstract things, and it is my understanding that the reason that this state is getting WORSE not better, is because those who suggested that technology and progress would improve all our lives, were either wrong, or lying. It has not improved our lives, it has merely changed our lives over time.

As much as I enjoy the internet, television, books, and all the things made possible by progress, I would rather put my effort into things which are undeniably real and necessary, but of course, to do so in a fulsome manner would be breaking the law, yet another element of progress.

Essentially, we no longer work to maintain ourselves and our families, but to maintain EVERYTHING from companies, to government, to infrastructure. I imagine that if everyone benefited equally from these things, then many people would be prepared to work harder and longer, for hours more familiar to the strong hunter gatherers than the weak, blubbery fools we have become in this day and age. But we do not.

So the question is not why do we work 40 hours a week, but why do we not get what we ought for our trouble.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 07:27 AM
link   
We work so much because we have to feed the well to do.

They all want a piece of your pittance, it's how they get rich and 40+ hours per week just about covers it, so then you whip out your credit cart to pay the last bit.

They take all your money, then put you into debt bondage.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 07:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: arrakis624

To pay for your family to eat and not be a tick feeding off fellow humans.

Unless of course you are not buying your clothes, Shoes, Tea, Coffee, Car parts, newest smart phones, Diamonds and Gold made and or picked by a 8 year old in some foreign sweatshop, Factory, Field, Quarry etc you may have a point but.....BUT!!!

Who's feeding off who??.... we are all parasites in some form. No-one has the right to cast a stone.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 07:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: yourmaker

Money is the carrot on a string in front of your face. You won't move to chase it if it's not dangling in front of you.

Perhaps this is the wrong carrot?

Does it not seem like a life wasted, to be tied to chains of monetary responsibility, through activities you don't truely enjoy?

If humans were more evolved, would life not be more enjoyable, to work to live doesn't sound much like people in control of their lives.

We are but a fleeting moment in the current tapestry of time....why waste it?

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 07:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol
If I didn't have to pay tax to cover the 1/5th of society that does not work I could work 25 hours a week and live comfortably. I believe in survival of the fittest but my government puts their hand in my pocket and steals my money to pay welfare to a lot of people that choose not to work. I don't feed off anybody but a hell of a lot of people feed off me.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 07:50 AM
link   
a reply to: solargeddon

Nice outlook on life. Can you eat it? I'm guessing you use fairy tales like this to justify not working.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 07:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: arrakis624

Nice outlook on life. Can you eat it? I'm guessing you use fairy tales like this to justify not working.

Actually I have a job....want to try again!

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 07:51 AM
link   
What the heck is work anyway?

What activities do you really love or hate doing? Is work the time spent doing something you dislike? Can you call the time, effort and expense of a hobby or personal interest you enjoy "work"? Is just leisure time or relaxation the opposite of work?

Sure you get stressed and your brain hurts doing soft "work" like an office job where you sit most of the day, but try digging ditches by hand, or scrubbing bathrooms and showers for 40 plus hours a week. Hard physical labor to me is real work, using phones, computers, and cash registers is just another activity called a job. From that perspective, a good work out at a gym is real work even though you not earning money and are paying to use the gym.

When it comes down to it, "work" is an activity done for a "job", it is something you do for money. If that means calling an accountant or broker once every fiscal quarter or at tax time, then that is doing "work" for your "job". You may or may not enjoy it, you could spend any amount of time doing it, but it all comes down to one thing, making money.

So to answer your question, we have the work 40 work week because of the excepted labor laws here. More than 40 is over time. You don't have to work 40 hours a week or be limited by 40 hours, it all depends on how you classify your activities during the week.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 08:00 AM
link   

If you don't mind me asking, what do you do and for how many hours a week?

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Thought so.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 08:27 AM
link   
We don't have to work 40 hours a week - 15 hours a week provides all the food, water, shelter and heat a person needs. Even if one goes to 20 hours a week, the other 20 hours a week of your labour goes to others. How can anyone "get" 1000 hours a week labour, when he can only do 50? The only way possible is to steal others labour for himself. Humanity calls it profit, interest and rent - I call it what it is, theft and slavery. I refuse to comply with it.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 08:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: yourmaker
Would there be any progression to civilization if it stagnated due to supply lines suddenly vanishing within a week?

or TL DR; What else would all of those people be doing?

Money is the carrot on a string in front of your face. You won't move to chase it if it's not dangling in front of you.

Actually I have advice for you.

The human condition will ALWAYS be found no matter what. We will always create strife and triumph, we will always feel accomplished or unaccomplished. We don't need to restrict the necessities of life artificially to force people to work in order to keep life interesting or rewarding. Let their will make that choice for themselves and stop subjecting them to slavery to say its for their own good or for "the economy"

We will make life interesting without fail and we don't need to have an economy to have a society. But yet our current socioeconomic fabric continues this system of domineering without using the taxation on quality of life and hard work of the population to actually circumvent the perpetual suffering entirely. Why aren't we funding solutions to the negative impacts of our financial empire?

The only thing our current system protects is the right to suffer, dominate, be dominated which really doesn't need to be enforced and especially as such when it's a threat to life. Our system is lethal and any system that claims to be for your own good shouldn't encourage mortality.

If you still think happiness is unattainable without being dominated and enslaved, then get back to work.

Imagine that, if our leaders led by example.. The insanity of the system would come to light oh so quickly.
edit on 2014 by BlubberyConspiracy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Long hours and pointless stress keeps most of us in a constant state of adrenal crisis/fatigue. Add in some fluoride, caffeine and other convenient toxins and we are perfect slaves. To exhausted to push back no matter how silly things get.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: arrakis624

"If I didn't have to pay tax to cover the 1/5th of society that does not work I could work 25 hours a week and live comfortably."

In an ideal world there would be no unemployment and that 1/5 of society would enjoy the same luxury's and comforts available to the rest of us.

"I don't feed off anybody but a hell of a lot of people feed off me."

Your government being the main perpetrator I imagine. Without our token social welfare programs to appease the masses those very same people who you imagine feed off you would be rather more proactive and would probably revolt.

Point is don't blame the poor and unemployed, blame our respective governments and banking cartel masters for allowing the situation to continue. Its the distribution of wealth that has to change.
edit on 28-10-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Right now I am unemployed, but I have an income from logging on my property.

In addition I have firewood, worth in these parts around $135 a cord for seasoned hardwood, split and delivered.

I can cut and split a cord in around 5 hours and sell it like hot cakes for $100 a cord (U-Pick-Up) giving me some where between $15 to $20 an hour.

Is this work? Yes. Is it a job? Not really. Do I like it? No, it sucks cutting fire wood. Can I do better around here this time of year? Absolutely not, esp. considering how short people were on firewood last season.

I can make $400 a week doing 20 hours of physical labor, close to a grand with 40 plus. Enough to get by all winter excluding the logging money I'm sure.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 08:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol
With the invention of automated production lines Humans were promised a twenty hour week. What happened.??

what happened? they need to keep us Busy

can't have Us sitting around half the week just Thinking

who knows what we would discover..

Q

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 09:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Quantum_Squirrel

originally posted by: Soloprotocol
With the invention of automated production lines Humans were promised a twenty hour week. What happened.??

what happened? they need to keep us Busy

can't have Us sitting around half the week just Thinking

who knows what we would discover..

Q

In a Nutshell...Yeah. and God forbid we get ourselves a education other than the one that was foisted on us.

edit on 28-10-2014 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join