It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do we have to work 40hrs a week?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 04:29 AM
link   
Open question, open answers.

Let the debate begin.

edit on 28-10-2014 by SearchLightsInc because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 04:34 AM
link   
a reply to: SearchLightsInc

You don't. And besides, apes (humans are apes) usually lay around much of the day.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Would there be any progression to civilization if it stagnated due to supply lines suddenly vanishing within a week?

or TL DR; What else would all of those people be doing?

Money is the carrot on a string in front of your face. You won't move to chase it if it's not dangling in front of you.

link   
Because we want goods and services available 24 hours a day- or as close to it as possible.

The country I live does 35 hrs. But the people here are fine with everything closing by 6 PM, restaurants only being open during meal times (not in between), stores closing between 12 and 2 PM, and nothing being open Sundays.
It is a cultural choice.

link   
With the invention of automated production lines Humans were promised a twenty hour week. What happened.??

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 04:39 AM
link   
work, rest and play so that gives us 1/3rd of a day for each and now we have a weekend its pretty easy maths

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 04:42 AM
link   

168 hours in a week
Minus 40 for work
Minus 56 for sleep (8 hours a day)

Equals 72 hours a week doing what you want.

Doesn't seem so bad to me!

I do upwards of 80 hours a week at the moment.

edit on 28/10/14 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 04:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Maxatoria
work, rest and play so that gives us 1/3rd of a day for each and now we have a weekend its pretty easy maths

Unfortunately for most 40 hours is never enough.....We need stuff. why??? I dont know, but we need to keep up with the smiths next door. And if you work minimum wage 40 hrs is nowhere near enough to survive in this day and age.
edit on 28-10-2014 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Slavery happened. We have so much knowledge, so much science and so much technology that if we wanted we could provide for every single human being on this planet and automatise 80% of the work. We have fast travel and instantaneous communication, the world has become a little village.

But, ideology gets in the way. For things to change, we will have to wait that the generation that lived for the most part in the 20th century dies.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 04:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol

originally posted by: Maxatoria

Unfortunately for most 40 hours is never enough.....We need stuff. why??? I dont know, but we need to keep up with the smiths next door. And if you work minimum wage 40 hrs is nowhere near enough to survive in this day and age.

Or your job doesn't pay very well like mine, (still paying above minimum, buuuuut.....) and you have a vindictive ex who demands child support on top of you paying for your child's practically every need on your own, then forty is not enough, and you still can't keep up with the smiths. But then again, I never really gave a damn about the smiths in the first place!
edit on 28/10/14 by gunshooter because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 04:49 AM
link   
Well I usually work 50 hours a week...so yeah. I like having nice things, and don't want to be poor.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 04:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol
It did happen, but it wasn't evenly distributed.
It became 40 hours a week for some, and total unemployment for others.
I remember those naive "age of leisure" predictions from my schooldays. People were not thinking them through properly.

edit on 28-10-2014 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 04:57 AM
link   
Blue, when I was a kid here in America back in the 1950's-60'-70. We worked 40 hrs a week. The stores closed at 6, except restaurants, On Sunday the only thing open where restaurants. Not even gas stations where open. I think this idea of staying open 24 hrs came from Sam Walton. When he built his first stores they closed early like everyone else. Then he had a brilliant idea to keep them open 24 hrs. Everyone else just followed suite, to compete.

However, working a 40 hr week has been the norm in America since back before prohibition era. The manufactures wanted to work during daylight hours. That worked out to be somewhere around 8 hrs per day. IMO any way.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 05:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: yourmaker
Would there be any progression to civilization if it stagnated due to supply lines suddenly vanishing within a week?

No. There would be none. Human beings would live doing what human beings became human beings to do--live as human beings.

Anyway. You assume that both "progress" and "civilization" are good things. All I see our civilization doing is destroying itself through its own decadence made possible by said "progress".

If the goal is the extinction of the human species and the contamination of the entire planet, then we're making some decent progress.

What else would all of those people be doing?

Whatever they want to, and nothing they don't. That's called "freedom". Real freedom, not the bull# dichotomies that are condescendingly force-fed to us like Netflix commercials. "Which ad experience do you prefer?" Freedom of choice, you see?

Yes, society would look very different if no one "worked" (as we commonly conceive it). It would be completely unrecognizable.

That is not a bad thing.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Being on the more 60-hour a week end of the spectrum, I personally would love to work only 40 hours per week. It would seem like a vacation. I'm sure people on the other side of the spectrum would also love to work 40 hours per week.

Anyhow, I kind of thought the days of 40-hour weeks were long gone.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 05:06 AM
link   

This reminds me of this old letter.

There are 365 days per year available for work.
There are 52 weeks per year in which you already have 2 days off per week, leaving 261days available for work.
Since you spend 16 hours each day away from work, you have used up 170 days, leaving only 91 days available.
You spend 30 minutes each day on coffee break which counts for 23 days each year, leaving only 68 days available.
With a 1 hour lunch each day, you used up another 46 days, leaving only 22 days available for work.
You normally spend 2 days per year on sick leave. This leaves you only 20 days per year available for work.
We are off 5 holidays per year, so your available working time is down to 15 days.
We generously give 14 days vacation per year which leaves only 1 day available for work and you want take that day off, too?!

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 05:09 AM
link   
Because you are owned and operated.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 28-10-2014 by gosseyn because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-10-2014 by gosseyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Not only do people 'expect' to work full-time, what ever became of the term '9 to 5' ? So many people think they have to rush to get somewhere at 6 or 7 or 8 in the morning, way too early to be bouncing off the walls from coffee. Get to work by 9, have a long lunch hour, and get off at 5 ("Honey, I'm home!"). On the same topic, I actually know people who won't take vacation time because they think that someone else will prove they can fill their spot better. It almost seems that most people live in a free-range madhouse.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Things would work better if it were less hours and more shifts. Spread the employment out between the masses more. More jobs disappearing all the time due to automation and leaving for foreign countries. It will only get worse as automation increases while the population grows as well. Do the math, something has to be done.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 06:24 AM
link   

It's called being an indentured servant!

We need to work a 40 hour week for the same reason we have a minimum wage or have nearly a third of said wage removed via taxes in one form or another. The simple answer, a modern day equivalent of slavery is at play.

edit on 28-10-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join