It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheism destroyed.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 10:35 PM
link   
So the OP won't be long, but I will try and be very active in my respones. I am a Christian and my doctrine is laid out in the Word. So in order to make it fair anyone who joins in the conversation please give a brief summary of what your honest beliefs. Describe the main reasons you do not believe in the Biblical God and the Resurrection of Christ.

+33 more 
posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 10:43 PM
link   
a reply to: ServantOfTheLamb

Alright, here's a few.

1. God is not a single parent who writes books.

2. The 'word of God' was written decades after the life and death of Jesus Christ.

3. Important things like the Gospel of Mary were left out, without good reason.

4. Most of the details of the story of Jesus, are found in dozens of other 'hero' stories from previous periods, sich as The following.

5. Most of the Christian holidays are pagan holidays, converted to Christianity so that pagans would feel at home in their newly, forcibly received religion.

6. I cannot prove a negative. It is not up to me to prove the non-existence of god, but for you to prove the existence of god.

7. Things can be explained via science, far better than any 3000 year old book can.

8. The moral fiber of religious doctrine is shaky at best. ( for all religion )

Honestly, I could keep going, but there's just so much.

You can't expect to come here and prove, by your lonesome, let alone even CONVINCE people of non faith, that you somehow have the answers that I've waited 40+ years to hear, and have not.

The very last point I can make about all of this.

If you are NOT willing to believe or entertain the idea of Santa Claus, or the Easter Bunny, or Unicorns, but the mythos of Bible rings true to you, then that answers all my questions right there.

~Tenth

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 10:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: ServantOfTheLamb
So the OP won't be long, but I will try and be very active in my respones. I am a Christian and my doctrine is laid out in the Word. So in order to make it fair anyone who joins in the conversation please give a brief summary of what your honest beliefs. Describe the main reasons you do not believe in the Biblical God and the Resurrection of Christ.

When they describe Father, they are using their own perspective of him, and not what he truly is. A lot of his speech was either left out or not heard fully by the writers. Too many details are left out about how he operates, thinks, works, etc.

I am in agreement of Brother coming down and going back home.
edit on 27-10-2014 by jhill76 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 10:59 PM
link   
My honest beliefs..hey you asked, I believe there are nuggets of truth at the core of all religions that relate to archetypal behavior. Those with concepts in common will tell you much about human psychology. The chaff of the stories are cultural myths, out of date and dangerous to believe in. Dangerous because they instigate the old tribal us versus them scenario.

Taoism probably comes closest to the truth for being brave enough to admit that what we call Tao or divine cannot be known and is limited by the very human words and concepts we use.

Now, destroy my atheism. Go tiger go!
edit on 27-10-2014 by igloo because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Your thread title drew me in, I thought maybe you really had something.

Instead you just apparently just intend to start a religious argument wherein you will likely just quote a ton of bible text.

I'm with you man, I believe in god, I really don't see how there can't be, but I'm not into religion.

Please make a solid case to crush atheism, but steer clear of bible quotes, and you have my attention fully.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 11:07 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

All you have done is tell me your issues with Christianity, yet I know nothing of your beliefs about the world. I will address the points you made, but first I would like to know what you believe.

+6 more 
posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 11:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: ServantOfTheLamb

All you have done is tell me your issues with Christianity, yet I know nothing of your beliefs about the world. I will address the points you made, but first I would like to know what you believe.

Most of those were actually reasons I don't believe in Christianity though.

I'm an agnostic, but an anti-theist.

I do not believe in the Creationism Myth. I do not believe in bible prophecy, nor do I take anything in the Bible as literal fact.

At best it was a set of morals and behaviors written, by power hungry men, to bring people out of barbarism, into a slightly less terrible version of tyranny.

Religious doctrine has been used as a tool of mass control and manipulation, mostly since it's inception. It is only to a lesser degree today, because of the overwhelming number of people who chose to question what they are told.

From a Roman Church perspective it evolved into an Oligarchy, but that's besides the point.

Much like anything, things change over time, and religious doctrine, acceptances, behaviors etc, should all change with them.

IMO there is most certainly something after death. But I do not claim to know it, understand it, or otherwise know what it may want of me in return, if anything.

To say I understand the creator, is to say that I understand all of creation, which I don't.

~Tenth
edit on 10/27/2014 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

edit on 10/27/2014 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 11:13 PM
link   
There is actually no evidence besides stories written by lone people. No mass witnessing. Just stories by a single man that claim mass witnessing maybe. Not like a whole city seeing something with mass reports. No proof just mans propagating stories of god. Just a choice one makes to pick one story or god over another. Pick a god they are all the same. Just mans crude attempt to hold something accountable for something they cannot explain with the science of the time. Earthquakes God, Asteroids God, Plague God, lightning ect... Anything man could not explain in ancient times was God. Not to mention god was created as a way or rules to live by before government existed. It just carried on afterward. All caveman ideals. That is how why and god was created by man. To put some understanding to natural things they could not understand in early primitive days. It just carried on and evolved like everything. Some people just do not understand math science and history still to date.

Here is your challenge, prove God exist. Without using ancient stories that cannot be proven. You cannot. It is just faith as they say. I say hope. Wishful thinking.

Have a few of these you may see something.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 11:17 PM
link   
The only thing destroyed was the OP.

Great message....Wrong crowd.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Your thread title has nothing to do with your OP. I thought maybe you had something worth talking about. But nope. Just an incendiary title to draw in a crowd, then you start asking what everyone else believes?

How does this settle anything?

How about we start with the list that tenth provided?

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Agnostic that doesn't think any one religon has the anewers here to get that goal post set.

I agree that your title is very, very misleading.
You have nothing to 'destroy' anything

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Atheism destroyed.

You threw down the gauntlet. Lets see some destruction.

So in order to make it fair anyone who joins in the conversation please give a brief summary of what your honest beliefs.

You aimed this at atheists. You already know the one (lack of) belief we have in common. What DO I believe? That humans are so much more than the sum of their parts. We haven't even scratched the surface of what we're capable of, and won't, until we throw off the oppression of religion and tyrannical government.

Describe the main reasons you do not believe in the Biblical God and the Resurrection of Christ.

The same reason I don't take Homer's Iliad and Odyssey literally. It's mostly fantasy, with just enough real history thrown in to make it palatable. Kind of like a Hollywood movie.

You did ask.
edit on 10/27/2014 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 11:45 PM
link   

That should do it.

Look, you are taking a book written generations after the events depicted, by a group of men, long since dead.

There are no supporting documents. Where are the original letters. Face facts.

The old Testament is common to three major religions, all of whom have persecuted each other, killed each other, had wars against each other, had wars of genocide across the globe .......... and it continuous to this day!

The Christian God is the same entity followed by the Jews and by the Islamic Faith.

They all go to pieces the moment you mention this undeniable fact.

All religious texts have been so altered to fit Man's need for power and wealth that we have no idea what God's message is (assuming there is one)

So, just call the bible a fantasy novel and put in some more Dragons and Unicorns and stuff.

Let's make Mary the Mother of Fairies. It would make more moral sense that way.

P

edit on 27/10/2014 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 11:46 PM
link   
because i'v seen aliens, called them down using my alter ego Yahweh. Not sure if i need a Jesus when i can be my own conduit to the heavens.

Why would i need to go through another human to get to *God*?

What if said *Messiah* comes and choses a name Besides Jesus? What then? How are you going to get into that club? Says clearly in the New Testament that the figure seen in revolations is not Jesus.
But that's just the bible talking. In general. I have my beliefs because of E.T contact.

(post by ThomasFL72 removed for a manners violation)

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Ok so before I can tackle any of the points your throwing at me I need to tell me how you believe life came into existence, and do you hold a naturalistic view of the world.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 11:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: ThomasFL72

[SNIP]

I don't need to explain bible verses to you, or anybody for that matter. A single sentence isn't going to destroy two thousand years of sound science.

The book also said that a talking snake convinced two nudists to eat from the one tree they weren't allowed to.

Either way, I'll take Galileo over the talking snake, any day.

~Tenth
edit on 10/28/2014 by kosmicjack because: removed quote of ill mannered content.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 11:51 PM
link   

please give a brief summary of what your honest beliefs

I think the when and where we are born are the determining factors of what we will grow up believing. If you are born in a Muslim country you probably believe as that culture believes if you are born to a Buddhist family you will grow up into that and if you had been born 100 years ago in America you are guaranteed to be brought up believing in Christianity. Fortunately enough I wasn't born 100 years ago and my family didn't force any religion on me so naturally I don't have any religious beliefs to tell about.

Describe the main reasons you do not believe in the Biblical God and the Resurrection of Christ.

To be honest with you I can't think of a single good reason I should believe in a biblical god or a Christ as you describe.

However if you really need a reason or some reasons why I don't believe in the Christian flavored religion this should suffice.

edit on 28-10-2014 by Grimpachi because: add

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 11:52 PM
link   
a reply to: igloo

It just carried on and evolved like everything.

So as basically what your telling me is only matter exist?

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 11:52 PM
link   
I have to agree with the others.
You baited with the title. I thought you had absolute proof.

Here's me..
Science is able to explain away a lot.
Big bang.. well what banged? Where was this bang able to take place? If this is the only universe... well what does it reside in?
And if this universe resides inside of a universe..... where does that universe reside...
I can go onnnnnnn!

So what can't be explained is god...
Where does he/she reside? Certainly you can't have something out of nothing? God lives somewhere right?
Allah lives somewhere right?( for the ME crowd or Vishnu or whatever your flavor...)

In order for something to exist... you need a containment unit of a sort..
Where does it end? And I will sleep at night!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join