It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DoD agrees on F-35 LRIP 8

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 10:06 PM
link   
The Pentagon and Lockheed Martin have agreed on costs for F-35 LRIP 8. Once the contract is finalized prices will be announced, but in general the average price for all three types will be around 3.6% lower than LRIP 7. Under LRIP 8, the US will receive 29 aircraft (19 A models, 6 B models, and 4 C models), the first two F-35As for Israel, four F-35As for Japan, two each A models for Norway and Italy, and four B models for the UK.

Deliveries will start in 2016.

WASHINGTON D.C. – Oct. 27, 2014 - The U.S. Department of Defense and Lockheed Martin have reached an agreement in principle for the production of 43 F-35 Lightning II aircraft. Officials anticipate the Low-Rate Initial Production lot 8 (LRIP 8) contract to be finalized in the coming weeks. The contract is for fiscal year 2014 with deliveries beginning in 2016.

Cost details will be released once the contract is finalized; however, in general, the average unit price for all three variants of the airframe in LRIP 8 is approximately 3.6 percent lower than the previous contract.

"Today's agreement is representative of the program's ongoing maturation," said F-35 Program Executive Officer, Lt. Gen. Chris Bogdan. "Once production of LRIP 8 aircraft is completed, more than 200 F-35s will be in operation by eight nations. We are glad the Government and LM are completing a fair and reasonable contract for the 8th lot of aircraft."

LRIP 8
edit on 10/27/2014 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 10:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Link not working.

What was the cost of LRIP 7 ?

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Excellent!

The X 35 B landed as well.

As Long as it Works!
Started in a rented church space and a garage.
An Excellent Company in my view: www.lockheedmartin.com...

S&F

edit on 27-10-2014 by Wildmanimal because: add link

edit on 27-10-2014 by Wildmanimal because: Add Content

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 10:13 PM
link   
a reply to: BornAgainAlien

Security.

Just click on the LM Logo
and it will lock and load.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 10:23 PM
link   

LRIP 7 was at $98M for an A, $104M for a B, and $116M for a C. LRIP 8 should be at $93.3M for an A, $100.5M for a B, and $111.1M for a C.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Have you actual seen/heard them in action in real ?

I was wondering on how much noise they have compared to the F-16 which they are going to replace in my country. I was running a F-16 weapons components warehouse on an airbase (everything expect the explosives and bombs), so I know the level of noise of them pretty well, but I have read about the F35 being much noisier ?

edit on 27 10 2014 by BornAgainAlien because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 10:42 PM
link   

I haven't had the chance to see them in action yet, but all the reports I've read show that the noise level is more than the Viper. Which is impressive as hell given how loud the damn Vipers are.

The F-16 on landing is 92.9 dB. The F-35 on landing is 105.6 dB. During touch and go recordings, the F-16 read between 86.2 and 91.4 on four recordings. The one F-35 touch and go recorded came in at 102.1 dB.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Louder than "The Who" live in concert,
from rows 1 thru 10.

Wear Ear protection.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 11:04 PM
link   

That`s loud, I`m glad I don`t live near the airbase. I can`t wait for when they come in service over here and to check them out at the airshows.

I just remembered, us having only the F-16, how surprised I was how much bigger the Russian fighters where (while I was working there (`92) the Fulcrum and the Flanker paid a visit). As I remember it correctly it was one of the first times they were in the West. If my memory serves me well a Dutch fighter pilot flew one of those planes then also.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 11:05 PM
link   

That's one of the things with the Viper. It was designed to be essentially a light fighter to backstop the heavy fighters, such as the F-15.

One of the running jokes was that the Eagles would carry the Vipers up under their wings and launch them into combat.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 11:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Wildmanimal

They use to fly really low over us long ago, we are in the flightpath for when they fly to Germany, but they are not allowed to do that anymore. I can hear them from time to time when there are exercises but it`s high in the sky.

I will remember to bring ear-plugs next time at the airshow when they are there.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Zaphod58 I saw this article listed at Rense with this tittle

Lockheed Gets $4b For More F-35 Junk Jets

Which makes me want to hear your opinion on the F-35's.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Were they allowed to go mach and Sonic Boom you?
probably not, but just wondering.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 11:13 PM
link   

We're going to AviationNation this year, so I should get some good pics of the F-35. I may try to get some video too if I can get a better memory card.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 11:14 PM
link   

They are not that big indeed, but it was all we got.

I got to play one time in one of them which was fully loaded. They wanted me to know how the computer and stuff worked from the weapons systems. That was pretty cool, too bad they can only be for about half an hour on power before heating up too much.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 11:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Wildmanimal

Every now and then we have some bangs.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Oh they aren't bad little jets, just a pain in the ass to work on. There is an antiskid wire that you have to have a magnifying glass and mirror to even see, because it's so small.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 11:21 PM
link   
a reply to: AlaskanDad

There's a lot more to the F-35 than people are hearing, which is sad, because while the program has been horrifyingly mismanaged, the jets are both incredibly necessary, and much more versatile than people realize. It's never going to be a great jet, but no multirole aircraft has been a great jet honestly. But it will be very useful.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 11:31 PM
link   

What was your job on them ?

I just looked it up we will get them in `17. We have a few test planes but they are in the US.

Hmm, just looked up about our air-force bases shows, there are 2 each 3 years. Next year we wont have the planes yet, I`m afraid it will be `18 or `19 before I can see them in action.

edit on 27 10 2014 by BornAgainAlien because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 11:33 PM
link   

I had to deal with Transient birds that came through. Some just stopping for fuel and crew rest, and some that were TDY and flying with our local unit. Mostly it was just helping with whatever their own maintenance guys needed.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join