It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Welcome to Nashville. Your internet service will be brought to you by Hitler or a turd sandwich.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 08:30 PM
link   
I'm moving out of TDS's coverage area so I have to choose between Comcast and ATT for my ISP. The general consensus in customer reviews seems to be that Comcast is literally one of the most horrible dictators the world has ever known, and ATT is comparable to eating feces.

This is a really tough call. The thing about Hitler is he mobilized Germany's resources in a way that had really never been done before. He knew how to get things done. If he had been able to provide Germany with internet access and cable TV, it probably would have worked really well. But he would also more than likely have killed you, placed you in a concentration camp, or performed horrendous medical experiments on you if you ever had to call customer service.

Then there's that turd sandwich. Yea, it's a giant turd on a hoagie roll. But it's filling and is kind of like food, if you factor in the hoagie roll. Also, it's not Hitler.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 08:35 PM
link   
There has to be other ISP's? There is always hughes or dish? I wouldn't recommend them really, but I am sure if you actually tried their is others out the eagerly awaiting your hard earned $$$

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 08:39 PM
link   
a reply to: ZeroReady

My son is an IT professional in the same location. He went with Comcast. He complains about Comcast time-to-time ... but, not like he did when he lived under my roof.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I gotta tell ya, Comcast has been a breath of fresh air with their "Blast" ISP service. I suffered for years under CenturyLink (qwest) and DSL at 1.5mbps, which was at least a whole lot better than Dish Network's ISP "service" that always went down in the rain. They always said an upgrade was coming, but for ten years it never did. So I finally switched to Comcast and am getting 50mbps, promised, and I often get more. The difference is like night and day and the service itself has been utterly completely reliable. Further, the help I got from them setting up the new router was completely thorough and professional and took just a few minutes. I do MMORPG gaming like SW:TOR, which has VERY large downloads. What used to take hours--overnight, even, is now a matter of a few minutes.

Now I know dealing with any of these guys for billing, changes, and normal "customer service" issues can be a real pain, but if you can manage to avoid the need for all that and just be a customer without "issues," it is very pleasant.

And the thing is, I'm paying the SAME PRICE I did for that horrid DSL. Compared to where I was before I have to rate this an excellent value. I know YMMV, but for myself, I couldn't be happier.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 08:51 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

The one thing I dread about moving back to the States. 50mbps ... oh geez.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 08:52 PM
link   

I've had comcast for a few years myself. I've heard all of the horror stories, but have never experienced one myself. Whenever I've had an issue, they've been out within 48 hours to fix it. They've made sure all of my equipment was upgraded when they upgraded the service a few months back. And like you... I am getting unreal speeds. It runs consistently faster than the promised speeds.

OP- I'm not saying other people are lying by any means. I'm just saying that it's not like that for everyone and the complaints are always much louder than the compliments.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Unfortunately, as much as I hate to say it, Comcast is the better choice, customer service and what not aside, they provide the faster internet compared to AT&T and WOW (in the Chicago area at least, not sure how much different it would be in yours).

Like I tell people all the time, just like with cell companies, we all know they are conniving, despicable scumbag thieves, go into it knowing what to expect from them already and you won't be as frustrated when they proceed to try and screw you over. I hate it, but just stay on top of things and don't slip up because they are just waiting to sneak something past people.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 08:59 PM
link   

I'm currently living under the third reich of the interwebz and its pretty terrible.

FOR STARTERS they will send you a modem that doubles as a wireless router.... FANTASTIC you think right? Ya except it broadcast a public wifi signal too so so little Timmy can catch the whole episode of sponge bob rot brains on the way to soccer practice... All the while draining my bandwidth.

SECONDLY I've battled them out on this point and I actually have "out dated" equipment still running so I don't have to deal with the public wifi. "Out dated" as in, installed a couple months ago lol. I've had major connectivity issues over the last 2 months and I finally called. Seems I could never get a stretch longer then an hour or so and I would lose Internet for about as long.. Soo I called them and some one from a very far Away land told me I needed the public wifi equipment or its gonna keep doing it... Bummer for my net connectivity lol.

THIRDLY they are the most price gougingest punks in the game. I signed up originally for an $80 plan that includes just about everything. Even a phone. Unless you call every month to make sure portions of the "sale" haven't worn off and your new bill isn't $300 a month I wouldn't buy into the sales and packages. I'm currently on a barebones package and life is just as entertaining lol.

And FOURTHLY Concast is part of the crew of richo's who made it illegal to run any more cable to limit competition. Because of this most of the country is still connected with antiquated 1960's and 1970's tech. Thanks Comcast!

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 09:07 PM
link   
In the Nashville area myself, NOT COMCAST! Hate them, loathe them, service sucks, (I have the biggest residential package), and customer service is horrible.

Can you tell that I don't reccomend them?

Oh, if you get a chance, eat at South Street by Music Row. You won't be disappointed.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 09:10 PM
link   

I don't know where you are, but you are having a totally different experience than me. I pay $119 a month for my service, and it sucks. They have now put a cap on my usage, so I hit it about every other month.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 09:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Majestic Lumen
Like I tell people all the time, just like with cell companies, we all know they are conniving, despicable scumbag thieves, go into it knowing what to expect from them already and you won't be as frustrated when they proceed to try and screw you over. I hate it, but just stay on top of things and don't slip up because they are just waiting to sneak something past people.

Could say the same about the US government.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 09:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Doodle19815

Do you know what the usage cap is? ATT has one too, but everyone says theirs is worse.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Mine is 300 something or other...

They told me I could never use it all. Yeah right. Seriously, every other month I get put into a walled garden, (can't access any pages besides Comcast.net) until I pay for more. You get three freebies, after that pull out the wallet.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 09:22 PM
link   
If you do go with Comcast, (don't), buy your own wifi router. That helped me with loss of wifi signal. Their tiny Netgear box just didn't cut it for me. Like a poster mentioned above, on for two hours, cut off for an hour.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 09:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Doodle19815

Do you know if the hotspots they advertise are really coming off of customers routers and using bandwidth? A person above said using a different modem/router will result in intermittent service. They can't do that can they?

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 09:29 PM
link   

I am not really for sure about the hotspots. I do know that I just purchased an Apple router and have fewer problems. Comcast has sent me letters about having bots on my account because of my usage before. I actually had to prove to the guy I had 28 wifi devices in my house before they gave me the ok.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Never tried ATT but, I did use Comcast for a year, until the price guarantee expired. Then they jacked the price waaaay up and I switched to Dish. My biggest complaint is that it's down much more frequently than Comcast ever was. At least once a week, and I'm not exaggerating. I feel your pain.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Welcome to the future...

Houston Comcast hotspot

I called someone in the ISP industry and he seems to think its all "legal". Remember these guys made it illegal to run more cable lines so no one could compete, They got power.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 09:36 PM
link   
a reply to: mindseye1609

Wait...It broadcasts a public signal that cannot be secured? Can they really do that??

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 09:41 PM
link   
a reply to: mindseye1609

This is lame. I've never heard of anything like this before. The future sucks.

This is from Comcasts forums

What you have been doing ComcastJesse is admirable but it doesn't address the root problem. I'd like to be able to turn the WIFI Hotspot on and off when I want. The error message we receive is extremely vague. We've yet to get any kind of service update or timeline for a solution. As a customer I don't want to depend on a message board moderator to turn the WIFI on and off. I want to do it myself. I've done the live chat with Comcast service and they couldn't answer a single question.

Frankly I think the ability for customers to turn the WIFI Hotspot on and off has been permanently disabled by Comcast and it's not going to return. Until I can decide for myself when I want the WIFI Hotspot to operate, I'm going to continue to perceive that Comcast has decided to take away the option from the customers.

Leaning towards ATT I guess now.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join