It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chicago pastor forced to HIDE FAMILY after supporting Republican for governor

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

I'm having a tough time coming to a decision here about this issue. You bring up some good points about the issue, but on the other hand Chicago IS one of the most corrupt governments in the country. So there may be some truth to this as well. We need more information.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I haven't made up my mind, either. It could very well be true.

But the OP wants to blame Democrats as a party (when only ONE person has been mentioned and we don't know their political affiliation) and make them look like the bad guys as if the GOP would never do anything like this. He claims Democrats are a "religion", as if Republicans are just victims of the evil left. LOL!

It's par for the course, I know. But I wouldn't put it past the GOP to arrange this whole thing to make a victim (and token) out of this black republican supporter... Just something I thought about.

And before I get into "trouble" for using that word:

adjective: token
done for the sake of appearances or as a symbolic gesture

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Oh there is almost undoubtedly partisan sensationalism going on here. You can't read an article about politics without it. So there is definitely lies mixed in with the story. The question I have, is how many lies? Is there some truth to a Democratic push to silence this pastor because he endorsed a Republican? Or is this the work of a lone nut (most likely a Democrat though)? If this were any other city, I'd probably jump right onto the "this is a partisan trash article", but being in Chicago gives me doubts. Like I said, we need more information.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   
This is why the Cubs suck!! They will continue to suck until they clean up that place, the answers aren't in "The Rule Book" they are in The Baseball Almanac™, instead of 'war rooms' We should have games of Strato-Matic™ while all the old baseball cards flit about on the wall, even the 1969 Topps 'Aurelio Rodriguez' that isn't really Aurelio Rodriguez but it is a picture of the Pirates batboy at Spring Training, then the biggest thing We can argue about is whether or not Pete Rose deserves to be in the Hall of Fame™, that is if We NOT discuss the 1919 BlackSox scandal that happened where? (cue: drum roll \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/...) Bueller? Bueller? filmed where? Chi-Town baby!!!

Great, now I have to heat My Sabrett™ hotdogs up and get out the hot mustard....

I apologize as I kind of 'went off track' kaput...

Maybe next year?

Go Cubs™

namaste

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Assuming the pastor is telling the truth, I wonder if it would be such a forgone conclusion to assume, based on comments made on his Facebook page alone (Link)., that this might have been disgruntled members of his own congregation.

They are far from universally happy with the Pastor.

On the other hand, if you look, many of the comments are very enlightened, many congregants don't believe that his choice is right, and indeed, even harmful to their community, but they still reference his personal right to support whomever he wants.

Of course, the possibility irate church members doesn't play as well as Chicagoland Democratic Unionized Thug Terrorists do to the wingnut base.

As we see in evidence with the comments here...

edit on 12Tue, 28 Oct 2014 12:34:22 -050014p1220141066 by Gryphon66 because: Period. Spelling Error

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

So that draws up other questions. Was this pastor endorsing this guy during his sermons? If he was, revoke his 501(c)3 status.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   

He had the Rauner guy in his pulpit a short time ago, the one who's running for governor. But, if he were brought up on charges of tax crime at this point, it would just obviously be an attack on his religious freedom, right?

Hey, you don't think that would that provide motive for? ... naaah.

Yeah. The State Senator he endorsed last spring had just given money for the community center the pastor wanted to build, "somewhere around a thousand dollars, I don't really remember" the guy said.

When I give someone a $1000, I remember it pretty dang well ... I don't know about you.

But, apparently, the Pastor has a history of getting and giving money to local politicians ...

Rooftop Pastor's Gift Could Land Detroit Ex-Mayor in Prison

A Christmas gift from Chicago’s popular pastor Corey Brooks could land Detroit’s felonious former mayor Kwame Kilpatrick back in prison, according to a Fox News Detroit report.

Kilpatrick was caught on a Walmart security camera counting out $2,000 cash that Brooks wired to him as a gift from the church, according to the Fox report.

Brooks told DNAinfo.com that Kilpatrick is a personal friend who sent a letter asking for financial help.

How a pastor can send money from his church's coffers to ANYBODY is beyond me.

(BTW, Kwame was a Democrat, so apparently the Pastor can go both ways politically... so to speak.)
edit on 14Tue, 28 Oct 2014 14:40:44 -050014p0220141066 by Gryphon66 because: NOted.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Well well well, this looks like a better issue to talk about rather than this pastor's torment at the hands of a disgruntled congregation.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   

I guess we'd just have to say that there may be a little bit more to the story than the so easily imagined (at least here) leftist/unionist/mafioso/Democratic thuggery ...

I guess we'll have to see how it develops. After all, his religious beliefs provide him with a lot of protection, either way.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   

When it comes to right wing news sites, there usually is more to the story. This was just one of the few cases where I thought maybe they weren't pulling people's legs as much as usual since Chicago is known for its in your face corruption. I guess I was wrong, probably.
edit on 28-10-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   

I read a lot of news, on both "sides" ...

There are three sources that are quite simply despicable in terms of the overt dishonesty they promote: Fox News, The Rush Limbaugh Show, and the hundreds of echo chamber "blogs" that just copy the days Republican Talking Points.

I used to try to be equitable about it and say, "well, MSNBC and Huffington Post are biased too."

The answer is, they may well be politically biased, but they don't out-and-out lie, every hour of every day they broadcast.

Ironically, I hope it works out that the Pastor is totally free of any impropriety, and that any threats of violence stop against him and his church for his beliefs.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   

What's funny is that when you point this out to conservatives, they automatically assume you are a Democrat or a liberal. I'm a Libertarian, if the conservatives would actually report REAL news, I'd be more than happy to repeat it and talk about it, but until they do, I'll just have to stick with mises.org.
edit on 28-10-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 05:58 PM
link   

I have two basic issues with what currently passes as "Conservative" in this country: (1) belief-based/anti-science/anti-rational positions (2) rampant deceitfulness while claiming religious superiority.

I grew up debating with true Conservatives, smart cookies who knew their stuff, had facts to back up every claim, were able to disagree without silly, irrational personal commentary, etc. It was a joy to argue and discuss with them.

The extent of debate with most of the current crop are responses which are the equivalent of "I know you are, but what am I?"

It gets tiring and often seems pointless.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

William Daley, Chicago Mayor Daley's brother.

" THE PRESIDENT: Please have a seat, everybody. Happy New Year. Last October, when my former Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel departed to pursue other opportunities in Chicago, I asked Pete Rouse, one of my most trusted aides, to step into the breach and lead us through a very difficult time. And I also asked Pete to help us think about how the White House should be structured and run over the next two years.

Thanks in no small part to his efforts, a period that everybody thought would be one of retrenchment turned out to be one of great progress for our country. And Pete’s leadership is all the more remarkable when you consider that when I first met him and asked him to lead my Senate staff, he told me in that gruff voice of his that his strong inclination was to leave government. (Laughter and applause.) The reason everybody is applauding is because they’ve heard him say that every day -- (laughter) -- they’ve heard him say that every day for the last six years. And yet, each time I’ve asked him to accept one more assignment, he’s saddled up and he’s taken the job. And it’s fair to say that I would not be where I am today without his extraordinary counsel.

Pete didn’t volunteer to serve as interim Chief of Staff. He made it clear that that was not his preference. But he accepted the responsibility, and as he oversaw our strategy during the lame duck session of Congress, he also was working to develop a structure and a plan for the next two years that I believe will serve the White House, and more importantly the American people, very well. One of those assignments was providing me recommendations for candidates to serve as Chief of Staff moving forward.

As part of that process, today I am proud to announce the appointment of an experienced public servant, a devoted patriot, my friend, fellow Chicagoan Bill Daley, to serve as my Chief of Staff. "

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 06:20 PM
link   

He said the threats included references to Rouner. I think its safe to say it was politically motivated, and since a republican was attacked it would follow to reason that the attacker was a democrat.

You seem to demand a high degree of confidence before accepting his word that the threats are real. Yet you suggest this might all just be a ploy by republicans...with no evidence of any kind to support that conclusion.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 12:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
So, and I'm just spitballin' here, I wonder if the good pastor had recommended Democratic candidates whether or not any of you would have a) suggested that his church lose its tax exempt status, b) asked for proof of the death threats, etc. etc. or c) suggested that the Pastor himself may have made off with the cash in the collection box.

Not that I'm suggesting any of those things happened, you understand, just running a thought experiment.

Nope to all. And I would be horrified about what people were doing. He should be free to endorse anyone he wants in the same way unions can.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 01:08 AM
link   
The Pastor should be able to express his opinion absolutely in his private life as all of us can.

Labor unions are not churches; churches are not labor unions.

Different tax codes for different reasons.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 01:30 AM
link   

The Pastor should be able to express his opinion absolutely in his private life as all of us can.

Labor unions are not churches; churches are not labor unions.

Different tax codes for different reasons.

Different tax codes because Churches did not support a certain Democrat, and unions did, and thus he silenced them. It's the Democrat way.

You do know that for 200 years Church's COULD support candidates right? There is no reason behind it, only malice, and abuse of power to shut the competition up.

Sickening you support that.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 03:12 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Tax codes don't have anything to do with political party. If you have a different position, prove it.

If not, for Goodness sakes get off the obsession with Democrats as the fount of all evil -- it's getting silly.

Churches can support candidates today, but they do so without the State's help or endorsement (i.e. without tax breaks).

Your unremitting bias towards one political party is twisting your perceptions.

Oh, let's not start with pointing fingers at "malice and the abuse of power."

It's sickening that your ideological hatred is so absolute; it reminds me of the folks who apparently did this to the pastor and to the church.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 03:26 AM
link   

a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Tax codes don't have anything to do with political party. If you have a different position, prove it.

Lyndon B. Johnson changed the tax code in 1954 to prevent churches from endorsing political opponents. It was done in retaliation against those who endorsed his opponent.

Johnson won a controversial election by 87 votes, and the allegation was he used voter fraud to do it. Over 200 votes were cast in suspicious circumstances, and the people who supposedly voted came forward and said they had not voted that day. Johnson went to court and his friends in the court system prevented a recount. Thousands of illegal votes won him the election.

He changed the rules about how the seniority system worked to favor the Democrats, and then once Majority Leader, he passed legislation to hurt Republicans, including changing the tax code so Republican leaning religious groups could no longer speak about politics.
edit on 29-10-2014 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join