It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newest,ancient civilisation?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 02:40 PM
link   
This isnt a religious thing,its simply about the gravity of the fact that we will all be celerbrating the birth of christ this month (well maybe not all-but you get the point?)
A man from a civilisation over 2000 years old!....we will probably as humans, continue to celerbrate this for the rest of our exsistence (?) and i find this quite unique that 2000 years later one mans birth is still probably the most celerbrated day of the earth year!
I know that many other faiths and religions have other celerbratory dates but i wonder if they have carried such an immense story for so long? (weather you believe it to be true or faulse?).....so basically a man that has come from an ancient civilisation is still carrying that civillisation forward and its still celerbrated once a year and his actually doings and life is celerbrated by millions every day all over the world!
Is this the largest ancient,
still prospering civilisation ever?

Regards.....and merry xmas!

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 03:17 PM
link   
What's even funnier is that the day isn't even HIS birthday...

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Technically, it isn't a "civilisation" its more of a religon and religons in general are known to last long. Not to mention that, he isn't carrying a civilisation, but a religon.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Well, the holiday originated to bring "light" and festivities to the winter solstice, which is the shortest day of the year in the Northern hemisphere. Many of the christmas tradititions originated in medieval europe where villagers would burn trees to light up the night and roll "yule" logs down hill while on fire. They would also give each other presents to celebrate this other wise gloomy day.

Only after the inquisitions did the protestants really start celebrating the birth of Jesus during this same solstice time. It was pretty ingenius and now christmas is known more for the religious aspect than the literal origin of bringing cheer during the winter.

It is funny that any biblical historian could tell you that the description of Jesus' birth places it during the rainy season or spring.

Winter Solstice
Medieval solstice traditions
More xmas origin facts

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 04:33 PM
link   
We celebrate jesus twice a year. On christmas and easter. Just so u know

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by optimus fett
Is this the largest ancient,
still prospering civilisation ever?

Not even close. That honor would go to the Chinese who will be celebrating their New Year in about 2 months.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by optimus fett
I know that many other faiths and religions have other celerbratory dates but i wonder if they have carried such an immense story for so long? Is this the largest ancient, still prospering civilisation ever?

Amerindian civilization goes back farther, and Mexico is still prospering. India also. China comes to mind.

top topics

join