It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Simulated Universe, if it's True What's Next?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: solargeddon

Considering the OP took for granted simulation theory was fact....

I must have misunderstood your comment.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: AnteBellum
a reply to: solargeddon

Considering the OP took for granted simulation theory was fact....

I must have misunderstood your comment.

Yeah gotta say my opener doesn't make a world of sense in a way! lol

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Suicide, and the fact that a monk can light himself on fire despite being programmed to not light himself on fire, shows that no programming is involved.

Or it could also show that we were programmed with threshold and variables that allow us to commit suicide or set ourselves on fire, would it not?

If I create a Human Object in a SIM, I could have properties that would allow or encourage suicide or self affliction such as

If (depressionState>= allowableDSThreshold) then Suicide

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Only if you could program a sim to not follow its programming can any sort free will be attained. But that is a contradiction.

Couldn't a Buffer Overflow Attack be considered a simplistic form of programs not following its programming?

However, do you really have to have a sim program not follow its programming to achieve ASSUMED free will?

For all intents and purposes as long as we aren't aware of a mechanism that determines our actions or don't have the capability to identify our output based on input , would we not assume that we have free will?

Such a program could be created that hides this basic mechanism that controls our actions. This could be accomplished by overloading us with data to the point that we can't determine output based on the massive amount of input that effects us. Due to this technical limitations in capturing all the input that effects us, we would not be able to identify that mechanism that determines our actions. Hence we assume free will.

We know that our personalities and who we are and become is all influenced by our interactions with everything around us from the weather to personal experiences. Who is to say that if we monitor all our inputs from when we were just a sperm cell to now that we coulnd't find that basic logic that is being executed?

Are we really that unpredictable and is their really more chaos (disorder) in the universe than order?

Even randomness in the universe is explained by science by cause and effects. The appearance of Randomness only remains till our technology and understanding evolves to a point that we can make sense of it.

At the core of all simulations and programs there are always rules to follow, regardless if the program is aware of it or not, that leads to the next outcome.

Based on science haven't we observed that within our reality and our universe there are rules that are followed and nothing has occurred out of the blue? While this wouldn't exclude a non virtual reality it does add credence to the possibility of a virtual universe.
edit on 301031America/ChicagoTue, 28 Oct 2014 12:30:10 -0500000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: AnteBellum

Simulated or not, it doesn't change the fact it is "real" to me. I guess for some this would be life altering, mind blowing, shake you to the core of your being type of information but for me it would change nothing. I'm not looking for some cheat code, I simply am, and will enjoy what I experience sharing it with others as I go.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Septimus

Star for your thought man. I share another opinion on being "programmed".

We are not programmed. This would simply be a simulation, simulating a finite amount of matter as it changes over set time frame.

This makes things simple to present. We got out 3D plane X Y Z which goes off into infinity. If you ever loaded up a program like paint, you could notice that you are not really limited on how big you can make your canvas. One would load that canvas with matter and let it spread out. All that is left is to watch what happens.

(Freaky Alien Genotype1: Hey, hey, hey... Lets load up a simulation with just gasses like Helium! it would be AWESOME!
Freaky Alien Genotype2: Yeah d00d, How long you want to run the sim for?
Freaky Alien Genotype1: # knows, lets just leave it running in background forEEEEVER!
Freaky Alien Genotype1&2:"Beavis and butthead laugh")

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: QuietSpeech

I guess for some this would be life altering, mind blowing, shake you to the core of your being type of information but for me it would change nothing.

IMO the point is not whether it changes anything , but rather getting to the truth the pursuit of knowledge and understanding of our universe and enviroment.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Heruactic

The purpose of the OP was to discuss the ramifications of a simulated reality. I am of a similar opinion that we are not a simulation, but for the sake of the discussion, I attempted to rationalize it anyways. There wouldn't be a point to simulating this reality other than like what was mentioned about preserving some semblance of a lost civilization, similar to how (if you're a star wars fan) holocrons preserve information.

As for your example, that scenario assumes an infinite amount of resources to keep such a simulation constant. That's actually a good point, and brings up the question of whether if we were in fact a simulation, would we be able to remain constant? Surely if we're being run by some sort of super computer, it would run out of energy at some point. Or as others hinted at, perhaps we are the computer. Think of it, we could be a self replicating organic machine with several billion processors and some semblance of collective consciousness.

But anyways, whether we're a simulation or not, life goes on. Gotta keep trying to preserve what's left of the good of humanity and whatnot.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Here are 2 videos giving some food for thought, long ones but worth it.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 03:59 PM
link   

surely if we're being run by some sort of super computer, it would run out of energy at some point.

Interesting that in our universe we can't create or destroy energy.

perhaps we are the computer. Think of it, we could be a self replicating organic machine with several billion processors and some semblance of collective

If that is true and we are the computer wouldn't we still be living in a simulation or virtual environment since we are not aware of our true existence (being the computer)? At least till Morpheus gives us the pill.

edit on 011031America/ChicagoTue, 28 Oct 2014 16:01:08 -0500000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 05:45 PM
link   

I agree with what you are saying or better yet, I'm agreeing in the constraints you are saying it in.

That's the major issue I have with this, all possibilities are valid and unfalsifiable. If we were created there is no way to know what limits or functions we were programmed for. I said it earlier this is probably the only theory I know of which makes all other theories pertaining to it valid.

I did a thread years ago called, I Think Therefore I Am, based on bladerunners replicants. With this topic it could be stated, I'm programmed to think therefore I think I am.

Amazing how physics merged so elequantly with the other disciplines here.
edit on 10/28/2014 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: QuietSpeech

I have to agree but I couldn't help but feel imprisoned in the back of my mind.

It may change my outlook over time, but until it's proven true I can only speculate.

If we had the power to alter reality I would not be able to restrain myself. I list of things I would change that would fill a novel, including things I'd like to experience. I'd love to see a star being born, from space, floating around at close range.
Bucket list item!

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Two logical issues with the premise:

- a "simulation" implies that there is no intelligent action behind it. In fact, it doesn't even have to be 8 billion individuals creating individual action. It could be 1 individual with 8 billion facets creating 8 billion individual actions. Who knows.

- it is probable that we would not fathom the "reason" for this reality, if it were so. And the ranges of reasons can span far and wide, beyond just needing to retain a nostalgic legacy civilization.

Since the debate ranges well into complete unknowns (and unknowables, from our current perspective) any/all presumptions would need to be cast aside to really consider the topic. Of course, then it might end up in the realm of "Who would win between Superman and Wolverine?"

But an interesting discussion nontheless.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 05:59 PM
link   
If we are in a simulated universe. How can we correlate spiritual energies within our projected life?

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a reply to: 0bserver1

The spritual energies would not necessarily need to be the driving force. The purpose could be completely experiential in nature.

Of course, you would have to be prepared to have a very loose application of the notion of 'spirit' in this context.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Korg Trinity

I like the whole idea of the holographic reality simply because I can apply it and rationalise it from my present point of view.
I also believe that it is purely anthropomorphic of course. Surely we are thinking of it because it is a possibility that we ourselves have created, by which i mean our progress in the virtual computing realm. Nice thread sir.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 07:56 PM
link   
when I was a kid I use't to think that when I traveled a long way.
that the new places was build and the old gone! ?

just like some kind of computer sim.
did not think computers as that was 40 years ago.

if we are in a sim, then thats what it would be like.
on a computer the parts you are not in/ can not see.
are not rendered.

if we can mess up the code.
then we can get all kinds of powers!
become Gods even!

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Thought this was interesting:

Holometer Experiment by Fermi Labs.
Symmetry Link
Looks like they already built the equipment and are ready to test their theories. Can't wait to see what they find.
edit on 10/28/2014 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: AnteBellum
Super string theory is so beyond reality it's nuts. I thought the whole purpose of science was being able to demonstrate things in the lab, being able to observe and predict? Yet all we have with SST is math that only a few ppl in the world understand.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 10:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: gosseyn
What I find interesting is that even if you are a believer of a traditional monotheistic religion, you must come to the conclusion that the god you believe in must have used some kind of "simulation technology" of his own. If our universe, our reality, exists in a bigger reality, the reality of god, the reality in which god exists, then we live in some kind of simulation, some kind of fake reality inside a "real reality", a reality of higher level.

This.

As others have stated, the simulation argument is just the God argument remade for a modern era.

My feeling is it's all coming from the same source. This reality we live in is frightening and harsh. We've witnessed this fact for thousands, probably millions of years. In an attempt to find meaning or purpose in this cold, hurt landscape, we create things such as God.

I was contemplating that whole idea a while back while on the toilet and thought about making a thread about it. Problem is I don't tink I've fully grasped it yet. I don't want to make a half-baked thread. I really hate to even bring this up.

Why is the past important to us? Why is the future important to us? It's a quest to know ourselves better? Are we trying to attain immortality? Do we just want to be part of something Big? Something so big it justifies the trials and sufferings in this life? Or mabye it's something so big we're able to just step outside this life?

Do we reach in vain for a purpose or explanation?
edit on 28-10-2014 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join