It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5 Year Old Hospitalized In NYC With Possible Ebola Symptoms

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 07:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Biotech2024

So you dont think that the health care workers are doing everything possible to avoid infection?
We know nothing about where the kid has been or what he has been doing, lets pump the breaks a bit before we jump to the conclusion that he has EVD.
If it come back that his parents took him to a funeral (for some dumb reason) then yes we can start to question why. For the time being just travelling through these countries doesn't expose you to any greater risk compared to what you would normally prepare for, unless your planning on working in the health care system.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 07:57 AM
link   
a reply to: AnteBellum

Quarantine is at home or like where that nurse is locked up. Isolation is what you're imagining, a room in a hospital (some better than others)

They probably aren't testing him because they have access to information that hasn't been reported to media yet. It very easy to get a very good idea about the risk of EVD based on the cases epi evidence.

Edit: there are definitive guideline and definitions that are used in public health. I will look tomorrow at work for the CDCs latest and link it to you, but it should all be on their site...if you can navigate it and find it :s
edit on 27-10-2014 by D4rcyJones because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 07:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: D4rcyJones

So you dont think that the health care workers are doing everything possible to avoid infection?
We know nothing about where the kid has been or what he has been doing, lets pump the breaks a bit before we jump to the conclusion that he has EVD.
If it come back that his parents took him to a funeral (for some dumb reason) then yes we can start to question why. For the time being just travelling through these countries doesn't expose you to any greater risk compared to what you would normally prepare for, unless your planning on working in the health care system.

Healthcare workers are doing everything possible that is known. Yet they are still getting infected in these countries. That is what is alarming. It means the virus is more pervasive in certain respects and they have underestimated it.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 08:01 AM
link   

It is certainly alarming but not at all surprising if you know the conditions in which they work.
The virus is not behaving any different to previous outbreaks the only difference is the population size.

Edit: Happy to discuss this with you further but its probably a bit off topic. Link me to another forum if you want to continue but this thread should stay clear of conjecture until all the details are known.
edit on 27-10-2014 by D4rcyJones because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 08:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: D4rcyJones

Edit: Happy to discuss this with you further but its probably a bit off topic. Link me to another forum if you want to continue but this thread should stay clear of conjecture until all the details are known.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

try this one.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 08:27 AM
link   
a fever of 39 is common, even for children, it's a rough ride, but nothing unheard of.
there is no official word that he has it.
BUT WE HAVE THE RIGHT TO PANIC GODD@MNIT!

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 08:30 AM
link   
5 year old boy being tested for ebola in New York City

The boy returned with his family from Guinea Saturday night and five members of the family were being quarantined inside their apartment, sources said.

This is the link Texasgirl shared in the other thread she mentioned. So we are getting conflicting reports right now since this one is headlined as him being tested as well as his family being quarantined.

~OkieDokie

ETA: Just found confirmation that that have indeed tested him.

Asked about the boy at Bellevue,"by early afternoon we should know the result of the test" (Ebola) @DrMaryTBassett
Twitter
She is the Commissioner of the NYC Health Department.
edit on 27-10-2014 by OkieDokie because: Add info

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 08:43 AM
link   
From this source

A 5-year-old boy who arrived from Guinea was being observed in isolation at Bellevue Hospital in New York City for possible Ebola symptoms, media reports said on Monday.

The boy, who arrived in the United States on Saturday, had a 103 degree Fahrenheit (39 degrees Celsius) fever, ABC News reported. He has not been tested for the virus and was not under quarantine, ABC said, citing officials with New York City's health department.
The New York Post said the boy had been vomiting and was transported from his home in the Bronx by emergency medical workers.

I know children catch a lot of things but because of where he just arrived from, I think an "abundance of caution" is warranted.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: IShotMyLastMuse

My daughter is one of those kids that get fevers for seemingly no reason. It happens especially in toddlers to preschoolers. At 103-104 I'd panic but its really not that uncommon. Their little bodies just don't know how to regulate body temperature yet.
The vomiting worries me.
The healthcare workers there must be praying they don't have to watch him get worse.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Here is another source that has the most detailed info I have found

The boy is being cared for at Bellevue Hospital Center, where his blood was taken and is being tested for Ebola. Test results are expected later Monday, authorities said.

Police were called to the family’s home on East 172nd Street in the Bronx around 9 p.m. Sunday, where the boy was suffering from Ebola-like symptoms, a law-enforcement official said. He was transported by ambulance to Bellevue around 11 p.m. Sunday.

The official said that the boy and his family had visited Guinea for about a month and arrived at John F. Kennedy International Airport on Saturday via Royal Air Maroc.

The boy lives with his mother, father, two brothers and sister, according to the official.

By Monday morning at 7 a.m., he had developed a fever, the official said. City Department of Health officials consulted with the Centers for Disease Control and decided to conduct an Ebola test, according to the Health and Hospitals Corporation.

The Health Department’s team of disease detectives are tracking his previous contacts before the test results are returned
The Wall Street Journal

I really hope this is all "out of an abundance of caution" for this little one. I have a 5 year old and I cannot imagine what he and his parents are going through right now.

~OkieDokie
edit on 27-10-2014 by OkieDokie because: forgot link, need more coffee

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Lets hope its not going to ramp up over there.... NYC. That would be 2 cases.

I still don't get why or how people are still traveling back and forth from the Infected areas?? Surely by now, brains should be overdrive!

THINK. THINK. THINK.

Unless that is, the virus affects the brain or they dont have much of a brain to think.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 09:29 AM
link   
103 is not actually as bad for a five year old as it is in older folks. Children tend towards big temps when they are sick. 104 is actually the worrying point however a child from the hot zone with a fever and vomiting and no one thought to keep him off of a plane. Again???
Yet another imported case of Ebola possibly?
Little kids cannot usually control their body functions like vomiting . They more often than not just hit the floor beneath their feet than hold it and run for the toilet. Parents of little ones know to keep a waste basket with a small amount of water in in next to a sick child's bed. That or they're scrubbing the carpet. Meaning that he would just as likely vomit in public where ever he happened to be when the urge hit him. Can't blame the kid of course but what wise one was responsible for taking him on the plane while he was exhibiting these particular symptoms?

a reply to: jaynkeel

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Little kids can get 103° temps just from getting a vaccine. That's not unusual for a child. In an adult a temp that high is very dangerous but not for a kid. a reply to: muse7

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 09:34 AM
link   
a reply to: muse7

As a father of a 5 year old, I can state for a fact that children's flus can spike higher temperature, it is way more common in a child then it is in an adult.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 09:35 AM
link   
a reply to: D4rcyJones

No, no

we should encourage the parents to ride the subway
go shopping
get away from the stress and go bowling
eating out will relax them after spending time at their child's beside

If the child has Ebola or another infectious disease causing the fever, we should do all we can to encourage the parents to take shifts at his bedside and then relax by sightseeing and travelling NYC.

On an unrelated note: What the h--- were the parents thinking? They should be screened by social services and investigated for taking a child into an active hot zone of Ebola. Jailed for quarantine? No, punished for being totally and completely irresponsible parents? Yes.

Ok, seriously, a tent, no.

Quarantine in a comfortable setting is the only prudent thing to do until the tests come back.

But our government isn't into sensible and prudent, they'd rather the parents get out to relax and give huge press conferences on how well the Obama administration is making sure they are being treated.

edit on 9Mon, 27 Oct 2014 09:40:46 -0500am102710amk271 by grandmakdw because: addition

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   
a reply to: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

I live in Schenectady county. I know that a lot of people in my area travel back and forth to the city, as they have relative's there. Albany and Schenectady are going to be a direct area of spread from NYC if it gets bad there. I'm just putting it out there.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 09:45 AM
link   
I'm getting confused. Now they're saying he came in with a low-grade fever. I thought it was 103? That's a high fever, right?

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: OkieDokie

I just heard(@1Hr. ago) from CNN the boy is not being tested, go figure!

This is what drives me crazy about this whole thing, conflicting data, NO Leadership. . . speaking of which, where is the Ebola Czar? So far I've seen everyone talking but him! I just don't understand why they appointed this bureaucrat.

Unbelievable, as I was typing this they now just said he is being tested! Blonde woman that is normally on at this time. An hour ago a women came on to explain just why he didn't need to be tested.

No Confidence!!!

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 10:00 AM
link   

WHAT!!!!!

The test is a simple test, I'm sure all the other tests they are giving him are as invasive if not more invasive than the test for Ebola.

That is downright lunacy not to run the test.

If for no other reason than to calm the public, unless mass panic is what they are really after.

I really don't understand the illogical, irrational, and downright stupid way that Ebola is being handled by the US government.

There is absolutely no reason not to run the test, and a million reasons to run the test.

What is happening in our country? Twilight Zone time!

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 10:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: AnteBellum
a reply to: OkieDokie

I just heard(@1Hr. ago) from CNN the boy is not being tested, go figure!

This is what drives me crazy about this whole thing, conflicting data, NO Leadership. . . speaking of which, where is the Ebola Czar? So far I've seen everyone talking but him! I just don't understand why they appointed this bureaucrat.

Unbelievable, as I was typing this they now just said he is being tested! Blonde woman that is normally on at this time. An hour ago a women came on to explain just why he didn't need to be tested.

No Confidence!!!

It's all a big scam to make you watch blonde woman. This Ebola epidemic is really a shot in the arm for cnn

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join