It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is Kaci Hickox so upset about being quarantined?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lyxdeslic
I have three thoughts, all of which have been already said in this thread.
1. She is really being mistreated. Quarantined or not, people deserve respect.
2. She knows something we do not, and she is being kept from the public for that reason. What if she knows this a big hoax? What if she could tell people? What if riots happen?
3. She is terrified that she will be placed with someone who really is infected. This is a fear concern that I have. If too many people get infected, there would be overload. And quarantined areas could become overloaded with people. These people would be just left to die, basically. What if someone got stuck in there and only had the flu? It would be a death sentence.

All items on this list could be true, but all could be challenged.
1. It's been said that a story has two sides. We've only heard her version. When her temp was taken initially, it was supposedly elevated. She has disputed the validity, claiming her face was "flushed." She complained that she was given "only a granola bar" to eat. What had she been eating in W. Africa? Turkey burgers and uber healthy smoothies?

2. If that were true, her pals at the CDC would have left her in quarantine and "borrowed" her cellphone. It seems as if her official buddies were banging the drums for her release.

3. Health authorities keep repeating the "science" of contagion, specifically Ebola. They tell us how difficult it is to "catch." So, according to these many statements, unless the nurse licked a fellow patient, she would have no worries.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: grandmakdw
My first thought was, she doesn't want to eat up her sick leave, then vacation pay, or afraid that she might lose her job. If she gets paid by the hour as a nurse, then she fears the loss of income. Which the state could easily take care of if she had just asked and told them her concerns.

A person in involuntary quarantine should be treated like a patient, given excellent accommodations, unlimited "room service", a Kindle reader with unlimited book downloads, a TV with all channels fully unlocked, a computer with skype to talk to friends and family. They are not prisoners they are in quarantine.

I fully agree with this, its the most logical reason why she would be upset. Personally, I would do the same if my income was being threatened. We all know, good and well, her employer is not going to pay her for the quarantine time spent. Honestly if both state governments and the federal the government wanted real support from the public, all they would have to do is start reimbursing the salaries of those quarantined and then protecting earned vacation and sick time of those affected, forcing employers to draw the leave time from FMLA only. People would be lining up for the privilege.

Also I'll bet my house, that there is one risk that Kaci Hickox, nurse Pham and all the others that have been exposed to Ebola, which they never imagined. Possibly not being able to work in the field they studied, ever again. I can guarantee they will ALL be discriminated against for the rest of their lives because they have contracted or been exposed Ebola (cured or not). Despite the importance of the humanitarian call, nurses in the USA should have known good and well that they will be punished by the corporations and insurance companies. I wouldn't be surprised if they are rendered uninsurable somehow in the future, as well.
edit on 27-10-2014 by boohoo because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: boohoo
I don't see it that way. IMHO, Nurse Pham is the polar opposite of Nurse Kaci in decorum.
My guess is, Kaci will have no career bumps as a CDC fellow. Why would her present or former employer discriminate against her? As for finances, I wish the very best for Nurse Pham. I'd have no qualms if she were my nurse.
As for Kaci, doesn't the CDC not offer benefits for employees? No "sick pay" or vacation days?

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: drwill

originally posted by: Lyxdeslic
I have three thoughts, all of which have been already said in this thread.
1. She is really being mistreated. Quarantined or not, people deserve respect.
2. She knows something we do not, and she is being kept from the public for that reason. What if she knows this a big hoax? What if she could tell people? What if riots happen?
3. She is terrified that she will be placed with someone who really is infected. This is a fear concern that I have. If too many people get infected, there would be overload. And quarantined areas could become overloaded with people. These people would be just left to die, basically. What if someone got stuck in there and only had the flu? It would be a death sentence.

All items on this list could be true, but all could be challenged.
1. It's been said that a story has two sides. We've only heard her version. When her temp was taken initially, it was supposedly elevated. She has disputed the validity, claiming her face was "flushed." She complained that she was given "only a granola bar" to eat. What had she been eating in W. Africa? Turkey burgers and uber healthy smoothies?

2. If that were true, her pals at the CDC would have left her in quarantine and "borrowed" her cellphone. It seems as if her official buddies were banging the drums for her release.

3. Health authorities keep repeating the "science" of contagion, specifically Ebola. They tell us how difficult it is to "catch." So, according to these many statements, unless the nurse licked a fellow patient, she would have no worries.

All very true. I feel that there is still a lot we don't know about Ebola and what the government is attempting to do via Ebola. Or if they are doing anything in regards to it.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 03:39 PM
link   

My guess is, Kaci will have no career bumps as a CDC fellow.

As for Kaci, doesn't the CDC not offer benefits for employees? No "sick pay" or vacation days?

I hope this is a typo, on your part.

Did you look at the CDC website? Next time, don't pull stuff out of thin air, check the website if in doubt. Kaci Hickox, very likely has benefits and is paid at the equivalent rate somewhere between GS 9 thru 12:

www.cdc.gov...

www.cdc.gov...

My point still stands:
Personally, I would do the same if my income was being threatened. We all know, good and well, that her employer is not going to pay her for the quarantine time spent. Honestly if both state governments and the federal government wanted real support from the public, all they would have to do is start reimbursing the salaries of those quarantined and then protecting earned vacation and sick time of those affected, forcing employers to draw the leave time from FMLA only. People would be lining up for the privilege. Also I'll bet my house, that there is one risk that Kaci Hickox, nurse Pham and all the others that have been exposed to Ebola, which they never imagined. Possibly not being able to work in the field they studied, ever again. I can guarantee they will ALL be discriminated against for the rest of their lives because they have contracted or been exposed Ebola (cured or not). Despite the importance of the humanitarian call, nurses in the USA should have known good and well that they will be punished by the corporations and insurance companies. I wouldn't be surprised if they are rendered uninsurable somehow in the future, as well.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Boohoo wrote: "We all know...."
Who are the 'we' in your sentence? People who contribute to this thread, people on this website, people in general?

edit on 27-10-2014 by drwill because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 05:25 PM
link   

edit on 27-10-2014 by boohoo because: double post

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Boohoo wrote: "We all know...."
Who are the 'we' in your sentence? People who contribute to this thread, people on this website, people in general?

By "we", I mean people, whom through personal experience, expect and understand that "employers" WILL turn a "difficult situation" for an "employee" into a "hopeless situation", through a combo of callousness and bureaucratic policy.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 06:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Exactly. The same people wanting this nurse's head on a platter are the ones screaming "No gun control!", "you shouldn't be monitoring me or putting cameras on me!", or "if you are willing to sacrifice your freedom for security, you deserve neither". You'd think they of all people would get it. You can't just lock someone up in a tent who hasn't even exhibited any symptoms of an illness.

Imagine the right's reaction if, when this whole Fear-bola thing started, Obama had made an edict that we would start intercepting travelers at the airport and quarantining them in tents to live for 21 days... What do you think "the party of personal freedom" would have had to say about that? They would have exploded with the opportunity to rip him to shreds. Not because he's Obama, but because of party politics!

It's truly insanity!

EVERYTHING has become political!

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Maine Loosens Quarantine Restriction

Source

On Friday morning, the state's restrictions for Hickox were scaled back to instead require direct active monitoring, coordination of travel with public officials and a requirement that the state be alerted as soon as Hickox develops symptoms (she currently is not experiencing any). The restrictions do not prevent her from leaving her house or being in contact with other people, which Hickox has openly opposed.

A judge initially granted an order on Thursday to limit Hickox's travel, ban her from public places and require a 3-foot buffer.

However, Friday's order altered that, apparently reaching a middle ground.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Good news! Glad to see Maine following more along the CDC guidelines.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join