It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is Kaci Hickox so upset about being quarantined?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 08:37 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

originally posted by: N3k9Ni
I'm not a psychologist, but what she's saying leaves me feeling like she's not telling the whole story.

I smell agenda. Not the 'sell tainted blood' agenda that was brought up ... but someone who wants their 15 minutes of fame or who wants to win a big lawsuit. Or maybe she's just a selfish person who is too stupid to realize that she should be in isolation for three weeks after being around a deadly contagious disease. Considering the behavior of some of the other ebola patients recently (The NYC Doctor and Ebola Nurse Amber), that wouldn't surprise me.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Just wow. Here's a person who voluntarily goes to an Ebola 'Hot Zone' to try and help stop the spread in West Africa. Coming home she self-monitors and is tested twice (negative for Ebola --- not 'no symptoms' but no trace of the virus period). Despite the medical community railing against the 'mandatory quarantine' policy as not only unnecessary but deleterious to our attempts to get people to help fight it at its source, a couple of yahoo politicians decide they know better. This is political theater. Those two clowns know people are frightened and they are playing to that showing everybody that they're bad-asses as far as Ebola is concerned. Scott Brown pulled the same crap in a recent NH Senate debate. She has every right to be pissed and I hope she sues those a**holes and both states. Look at the reality people. Not the whipped-up hype but the actual reality of the disease in the US. The Dr. who went bowling was self-monitoring and reported himself as soon as his temperature went up. Hysteria. A wonderful political tool.

I don't want any of you getting all pissy about mandatory flu vaccines when that issue comes up. You've relinquished that right.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I haven't take a stand on this issue so far. But I do know that the same people here who are railing against this girl for being pissed that her freedom has been entirely removed because she MIGHT be sick in the future, are the same ones who scream most loudly about "our freedoms being taken away" daily by the government...

Seems when THEY think removing freedoms is a good idea, they're all for it. After all, it's someone ELSE'S freedom we're talking about here. Of COURSE Christie doesn't care about it. It's not HIM being held against his will. It's pure, blatant and bold hypocrisy!

I am convinced of one thing. These quarantines are NOT for medical reasons, they're for POLITICAL reasons. You are all falling for the fear hype (Fear-bola) of this news story.

Up to 50,000 people die every year from the FLU and how would you all feel about mandatory flu vaccines or forced quarantine for flu victims? Yeah, that's what I thought...

Can't you see you're being manipulated by the hype???
edit on 10/27/2014 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan
ITA. Since the nurse has been described as a CDC Fellow and co-authored at least one CDC-related paper (about pedestrian deaths due to "bad" or drunk drivers), I can't help but wonder how many grants she has received over the years. If the pedestrian death article was the focus of a grant--and I'm not saying it is--then it prompts a major eye-roll. Great way to abuse the system, Kaci.

It's clear that the quarantine's net caught a big mouthed, narcissistic shark. Beyond that, it's anyone's guess. Maybe the fish was smart enough to see that the net wasn't a net but a golden opportunity to achieve "greatness." (Maybe brown-nosing hadn't quite accomplished the fish's deepest desires? A book contract, huge tour, talk shows, TIME Magazine, Woman of the Year, etc.) Maybe her early complaints drew attention from her old buddies at the CDC, and they helped her take control of the Media and use the situation to drive home the Administration's "points" about a travel ban and the quandaries of quarantine. Or maybe something even more shocking was afoot. IMHO, it's difficult to believe that Washington and the CDC were clueless about the quarantine--surely with so many ears to the ground, someone (Mr. Czar?) had heard the hoof beats that the Governors were making. Is it possible that the CDC saw a way to save face (or insert another agency's name) and realized they had an Asset in the hot zone.

As you stated, this whole situation stinks. It smells like a Venetian fish market at the end of a hot day.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 10:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

The flu versus Ebola meme is an invalid comparison.

In the worst case scenario, 2% of people who catch the flu die from it.
In the best case scenario, 50-70% of people who catch Ebola die from it.

In most cases, 1% of people who catch the flu die from it.
In most cases in the world 70-90% of people who catch Ebola die from it.

There is absolutely no reason for people to be more afraid the flu than Ebola, there is a worldwide 98+% chance you will not die from the flu.
There is a worldwide only a 30% or less chance you will not die from Ebola.

You really can not compare the two at all.

Even SNL agrees. A bastion of liberalism and Obama worship.
www.youtube.com...

edit on 10Mon, 27 Oct 2014 10:16:17 -0500am102710amk271 by grandmakdw because: addition

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 10:28 AM
link   
She is a whining loser who got her way. I hope she gets sick to teach her a lesson. I'm very cold that way.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Did you know that nurses are encouraged to become political activists?

Political activism for healthcare workers is a crucial complement to clinical practice. Nurses are in a unique position to not only provide bedside care but also to advocate for change within the political arena and the community at large.

Preparing professional nurses for community-based practice involving political activism and civic engagement requires developing and sustaining a philosophy that supports service learning and community partnerships. The concepts of service, community, collaboration, empowerment, and political activism are essential foundations. These ideas are inherent in educationally preparing nurses to meet the healthcare needs of individuals and communities.

Many nursing students, however, seem either intimidated by or uninterested in the political aspects of professional nursing practice. The authors will describe an educational strategy embedded in a senior capstone course that involves an account of a senior nursing class's first experience in political involvement.

Preparing Nurses for Political Activism

How far do some of them take it? I'm still in the process of researching this philosophy. I never knew nurses were encouraged to step outside the box of science and medicine into the advocacy and activist political arena. Hmmmm. Just found this out on the NIH site.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 11:02 AM
link   
a reply to: jtma508
If you define voluntarily as being sent there by your employer...then maybe she went there voluntarily. I'm not positive that she's one of those altruistic volunteers.

I personally am sick of this "they went there on their own to do good so we should let them come home and infect people" crap.

originally posted by: steaming
a reply to: N3k9Ni

Surprised how a 'Professional Nurse', does not support the 'Prevention Is Better Than Cure' idea.

Hell, she, her employer the CDC, and the federal goverment can't even support the "Science should guide policy" crap they are all spewing as if from a script.

If science were guiding policy we'd all be walking around in BSL4 suits.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Now she’ll go on CNN and get her 15 minutes (or maybe more if she’s good)) of fame.

Seems a little selfish but it obviously is uncomfortable for her.

I worked in that morbid hospital and I understand…It’s a creepy place

They use to call it the Butcher shop…

Treating poor black people…experimenting with God knows what…

Though the Butcher boy Chris Christie (who is running for president) caved in.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Hmmmm.................

Chris Christie was forced on Monday to allow a nurse being kept in a tent in a hospital parking lot to go home after intense White House pressure to relax a mandatory 21-day quarantine the New Jersey Governor had imposed at a state level

What was he holding over Christie? How was Christie "forced"? News organizations are so NOT detail-oriented anymore. You get vague over-sweeping statements only.

Big Federal Government vs. States' Rights --- Who is the biggest and toughest or the one with the most power. Personally, I think this power struggle is past due.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Ummm..forced how exactly?

Shoddy jounalism, or were theats and weapons involved?

This is a crock.

edit on 10/27/2014 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Another source saying Christie buckled,

www.cnn.com...

Virginia is joining the states who will quarantine all HCW returning from hot zones for a couple minutes then let them go after getting slapped on the wrist.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I would act pissed off too.

Think About it: If ebola breaks out, and you are in quaranteen, your done. Your their to die.
IF everyone is o.k., you sue.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Exactly. The same people wanting this nurse's head on a platter are the ones screaming "No gun control!", "you shouldn't be monitoring me or putting cameras on me!", or "if you are willing to sacrifice your freedom for security, you deserve neither". You'd think they of all people would get it. You can't just lock someone up in a tent who hasn't even exhibited any symptoms of an illness.

If you're okay with that, then you should be okay with the TSA, or stricter gun control, or being monitored by the NSA. Small inconveniences for the safety of all, right? An abundance of caution is always good, right? Even if we save only one life, it's worth it, right?

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv
Cameras can't make you bleed from your eyes.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: drwill
a reply to: kaylaluv
Cameras can't make you bleed from your eyes.

No, but guns can make you bleed, and terrorist bombs can make you bleed. Cameras are what helps us catch those bad guys who want to make you bleed. Cameras are like.... quarantines. A necessary evil, right?

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity
a reply to: xuenchen

Ummm..forced how exactly?

Shoddy jounalism, or were theats and weapons involved?

This is a crock.

This isn't exactly how other sources are spinning it. Just saying.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

They also hitting this big on the military feedback

Second link in the thread here.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I have three thoughts, all of which have been already said in this thread.
1. She is really being mistreated. Quarantined or not, people deserve respect.
2. She knows something we do not, and she is being kept from the public for that reason. What if she knows this a big hoax? What if she could tell people? What if riots happen?
3. She is terrified that she will be placed with someone who really is infected. This is a fear concern that I have. If too many people get infected, there would be overload. And quarantined areas could become overloaded with people. These people would be just left to die, basically. What if someone got stuck in there and only had the flu? It would be a death sentence.
edit on 27-10-2014 by Lyxdeslic because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join