It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beards

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 08:45 PM
link   
...as for those thinking that the reason for them not shaving long ago was because it was too "painful" because they didn't have shaving cream... well, didn't they have oils and at least butter or something? i'm sure some plant juices like aloe or something would work, too. ...but surely they had oils of some sort!

also, i so wanna grow out my beard!! who's with me?! ...oh wait, no "action plans" on ATS... wouldn't wanna violate the T&C!!

oh the hell with it - i'm through scraping a warm metal razor-sharp blade across my skin to allow chemicals to seep into freshly opened microscopic cuts, only to appeal to someone else that i don't even care about...

i have a girlfriend now (soon to be wife!!!
) - no need to be smooth to attract a mate!

vanity's for the weak!

[edit on 2-11-2008 by adrenochrome]

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flange Gasket
Shave your head and grow a beard and you will be able to stare down most anyone. People seem to be terrified of tall men with bald heads and beards...

Actually, I think its just that people naturally look away. I always try to keep eye contact as long as possible with everyone I meet or simply make eye contact with, and 99% of the population cannot or will not do it. Its weird. The gangsters get offended by it and ask what are you looking at, and I just tell them myself, they get a perplexed look and try to act all hard, at which point I just tell them naw just kidding dawg, I thought you were a homie I used to know.

BTW, I dont have a beard. But I want one if its a psychic antenna.

[edit on 11/2/2008 by psychedeliack]

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Obsidian blades can be sharper than scalpels. I've sported a beird from time to time but they get really itchy. Especially in summer. I never use shaving cream anymore. I shave in the shower after my face heats up. Usually my last task. I just use soap.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 09:09 PM
link   
I saw this article in a Mens Health magazine (yes i was bored in a waiting room sue me)

and it had 4 pics of brad pit donning the 4 types of facial hair wear..
based on some university study... they listed the psychological imprints that each one communicates to people.

if i remember correctly it was as follows...

clean shaven
-most youthful
-least dominant
-least masculine

scruff/unshaven look
-sensitive
-girlfriend material

goatee
-most dominant
-least sensitive

full beard
-most masculine
-most sensitive
-husband material

or something along those lines

-

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   

people look dignified and intelligent with beards

thank you for your compliment of us that wear beards.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Hahaha....wow...ancient topic brought back to life!

Since the starting of this topic, some 3 years ago, I've grown a fullish beard. I got tired of having to scrape my face everyday, only to see those little hairs popping out again the next day. Now I am also part of the secret society with plans to control the world!

And I've realised a new conspiracy! It seems that what Flange Gasket said back on page 2 is true. People really DO seem to be scared of us. Even my friends who know me have nicknamed me 'Taliban'. I occasionally get the weird irrational urge to suddenly jump out at someone and scream "Allah hu Akbar!" just to see what happens...I wonder how many bullets I'll get fired at me
?

Anyhow, I've taken to wearing a trilby now. After all, no self-respecting terrorist would wear a trilby, right?

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 09:46 AM
link   
something I found this morning reading Isis Unveiled, Fakirs, religious devotees of East India, grow their beard and hair long, and use it as a pocket to store a pipe and a flute called a vagudah.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by babloyi
Hahaha....wow...ancient topic brought back to life!

Since the starting of this topic, some 3 years ago, I've grown a fullish beard. I got tired of having to scrape my face everyday, only to see those little hairs popping out again the next day. Now I am also part of the secret society with plans to control the world!

And I've realised a new conspiracy! It seems that what Flange Gasket said back on page 2 is true. People really DO seem to be scared of us. Even my friends who know me have nicknamed me 'Taliban'. I occasionally get the weird irrational urge to suddenly jump out at someone and scream "Allah hu Akbar!" just to see what happens...I wonder how many bullets I'll get fired at me
?

Anyhow, I've taken to wearing a trilby now. After all, no self-respecting terrorist would wear a trilby, right?

I don't know, I really like beards. I think the big bushy unkempt ones have an easygoing, papa bear fatherly type quality. IMO, the person under the beard makes it scary or not. But, like I said, I find someone with a nice big bushy beard less intimidating. Kind of santa like.

Now as for a neatly groomed beard and mustache, I see them as more a college professor type, someone who wears suit jackets with elbow pads over a turtleneck, maybe smokes a pipe in front of a fireplace in his library.

I suppose out of all the beard styles, the ZZ Top might be a little intimidating to me. Wild and unpredictable. Although, anyone willing to spend that much time taking care of their overly long facial hair would almost have to be at least somewhat anal retentive.

[edit to add] My husband can't grow a full beard as he has no hair on his cheeks, so he grows a goatee and a mustache from time to time.

At one time in his life, due to circumstances beyond his control, he couldn't shave, and his goatee got very long. I always thought at that time that he looked a lot like the devil. Of course, it didn't help that he has black hair and a widow's peak

[edit on 11/3/2008 by chickenshoes]

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
I have a beard/Tash combo, with sideburns to boot. I also have a full chest of hair. The only benefit (apart from being part of the Secret Plot to take over the world) is that i do not get ID'd anymore when trying to buy beer.

I am 22, but still look quite young without my face fluff, so i have cultivated it into a masterpiece.

Makes a man of you, you know!

Same reason I grew mine, when I was a little younger than you.

I was dating a girl in college and she told me I had a "baby face" and should grow a beard & stash. So I did.

Now its been about 20some years later and though she and I soon parted I still have my facial hair.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I am gonna go with faceless. It is macho, and older men can grow a better beard then younger men, so it is a sign of age and wisdom, that you have been around long enough to have a say in what is going on.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I think its to do with Meditation....when one meditates all the hairs have some kind of vibratory senses which raises the level of consciousness...

ever noticed the hairs on your back standwhen something strange happens...

maybe theres a conspiracy about people shaving....we lose that little extra sensory perception.....Gillette is controlled by the CIA....lol....

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by babloyi

I don't know about that. I guess you would look more Jewish, instead of Muslim.
When I had a long beard and was in Italy about 12 years ago, every time I turned my back on a crowd, someone would yell out, "Judy." At least that is what it sounded like. I wondered who that was until I figured out it had to be Italian for "Jew".

I had a non-fun experience trying to fly back from San Diego to Florida, at the same time Manuel Noriega was being brought to Florida from Panama. I was under surveillance and they had these Secret Service looking guys standing between me and the flight crew, at the terminal. I realized no one else in the airport had even a mustache, much less a beard.

[edit on 3-11-2008 by jmdewey60]

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 02:13 AM
link   
The best part i like about mine is that with it being a white 8 inch long full beard i get to make extra spending money for christmas by playing santa.

Handy when you live on a monthly disability check.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 03:20 AM
link   
I have had a very full beard for many years - here a a few more thoughts

a) Some people have allergic reaction to shaving (I do) rashes & spots if I shave, no problem otherwise
b) Full beards seriously help to protect in bad weather - whether it be blistering hot sun, or snow ice n frost !
c) Some people are very frightened of people with beards - I have come across this....
d) Some “warp-minded physiologist” came up with the idea that people with beards must be hiding something, and I have known companies demand people to shave off their beards (nothing to do with health & safety - just image !) one personnel officer suggested it to me once , my response was I suggested she shaved HER arm pits & moustache ! Would make an interesting discrimination case....
e) in some places/companies there is active discrimination against people with beards
f) A lot must be attributed to the culture and expectations in which people lived. It is a very modern thing to be so clean shaven.... although some societies did in the past – but it was a great effort, usually with the wealthy to show they had the time and standard of living to spend on ” beautification” !

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Beards of the ancient world could be regarded as fashion as much as percieved wisdom, and the convenience of not shaving. Primarily looking at figureheads - The Assyrians tended to wear beards, as did the Iranic peoples, generally the king/emperor/whatever had a beard and possibly all the other fellas did since it was in vogue and pretty dapper! Interestingly, Arabian peoples depicted at Persepolis are without beards (in stark contrast to medieval portrayals, but this hairy development could have resulted from the prophet wearing a beard as well as the rapid Persianisation of Arab culture).

I remember learning in classics class at school (so it's probably utterly wrong) that Romans tended to shave because the Greeks had beards, and whilst Romans admired Greek culture they still saw them as inferior. However, as soon as you get a bearded Emperor (like Hadrian I think) Facial hair becomes fashionable, and sported by the well to do "chap about town"!

Ancient Egyptians in contrast were made conspicuous by their lack of beards and shaved heads - Herodotus even believed that the bald pate of an Egyptian rendered their skulls incredibly strong, wheras he belived that the skull of a hairy Scythian could be crushed like an egg!

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 03:54 AM
link   
I know the answer to this, and it's spiritual. The Ancients/Pagans held a widely perceived concept of life force. We are made up of our spirit, our shell and our life force. Without going into too much detail, the health of our life force reflects the health of our physical body and hair was seen to be an outward expression of healthy life force. This is why most of our Pagan ancestors wore long hair and beards. Jesus was of course a Jew, and the ancient Jews followed more mystical strains of the religion than they do now - with more emphasis on Qabalah (now a little more suppressed) etc.

In short, beards and long hair are connected with wisdom because they are an expression of spiritual health.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by sjb5000

b) Full beards seriously help to protect in bad weather - whether it be blistering hot sun, or snow ice n frost !

Antarctica researchers found out that women were better adapted to the cold conditions, in part because of their lack of beards that collect moisture and get iced up and cause problems.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Man.....a conspiracy thread all about beards!!

I've seen it all now. Lol.

Now I can die a happy man.

Thanks, OP

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by jmdewey60

Hahahaha...I had a similar experience once also- except I was 'Yehudi' instead of 'Judy'. The funny thing was that he was a jew too.

And DenyAllKnowledge...I don't think the egyptians were against beards. Didn't most of the Pharaohs pretend to sport goatees?

PS: You're welcome, Old Man!

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 10:01 AM
link   
These 3 religions mentiones seem to be overtly patriarchal.

So perhaps the beard is included as a nod to masculine influence?

<< 1  2    4 >>

join