It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beards

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 12:50 AM
link   

I am a proud member of the bearded conspiracy.

Something we can agree on dj!

Is it a full length job, or a goatee?

Mine is a Goatee, but with a tash, and sideys too (as mentioned above)...no ZZ top shenanigans for me!!

I do not follow that sect, they believe strange things......so very strange.......

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 12:55 AM
link   
I kind of go back and forth between a goatee and a full beard. I never allow it to get too long though.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 01:03 AM
link   
What about "Bearded Ladies"?

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by jlc163
What about "Bearded Ladies"?

Dude...I saw one with a real beard this summer when I was volunteering selling Bush pins outside of Madison Square Garden. She had a thick goatee and mustache...we were doing all we could not to say something or laugh when we were talking to her. It was really sick.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 08:46 AM
link   
What about the fact that dictators such as Hitler, Stalin and Saddam Hussein all have or had moustaches?

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by babloyi
I know it is a huge stretch of imagination, but I was wondering if there was some kind of conspiracy behind facial hair. I mean, most of the jewish prophets (even Jesus) are conventionally portrayed having beards.

Thats because jews tend to have beards

Zeus had a beard.

Thats because greeks, at the time, tended to have beards

I mean, there has to be a better reason than that people look dignified and intelligent with beards.

I suspect its because no matter what, one must have matured to at least something close to adulthood to have a beard (certainly, in the older societies, by the time you could grow a beard, you were alread a 'man'). Maturity is associated with wisdom and there is a good enough explanatory connection.

Notice, the romans had a culture in which beards are clean shaven. They were considered unkempt to grow their beards. After a long time, the Emperor Marcus Aurelius grew one and made sure to have his portrayals of himself as having a big thick full grown beard. This was to promote himself as a philosopher emperor.

Notice that Al Gore also grew a beard after loosing the election and becoming somewhat 'reclusive'.

However, also notice that body hair, including beards, are also a symbol of being primordial and wild. Bums have long crazy beards, and hermits have them. Enkidu, the 'wild man of the woods' is hairy, and has to be shaved (after banging a temple prostitute nonethe less) in order to become civilized. So it can go either way

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
. After a long time, the Emperor Marcus Aurelius grew one and made sure to have his portrayals of himself as having a big thick full grown beard. This was to promote himself as a philosopher emperor.

I thought Hadrian was the first Roman emperor to be portrayed wearing a full beard and moustache? I have one of his earlier coins about 120 A.D but alas no beard, I have seen ones with him wearing a beard though.

I always thought he was the first.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX

I thought Hadrian was the first Roman emperor to be portrayed wearing a full beard and moustache?

Hmm, you may be right about this I'm thinking. The reasoning was the same tho.

Emperor Hadrian had a love of Greek Culture and he is often portrayed in statues and on coins with a full beard, which at the time of his reign was a Greek Custom, most Roman Men preferring to be clean shaven

On shaving, the romans and other ancient peoples didn't have barbersol, but they did have very sharp razors and oils and creams to shave with. They had the whole range of cosmetics really. I recall that one roman would use ground and heated walnut shells as a hair softener. And when they'd bathe they'd use oils like soap, except that they'd use bronze 'scrapers' (dull sheets really) to remove the dirt and oil. Heck they also had scented oils to use as perfumes.

I'd expect that a roman barberer would give one a better shave than you'd get on yer own with a disposable bic.

edit to add afterthought

hell the native americans used to shave their heads and faces with sharpened shells, they didn't even have metal for it!

[edit on 2-2-2005 by Nygdan]

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 01:44 PM
link   
There are some religious aspects to this practice, but I think that it's more of a social thing. Don't some European women have underam hair, and in the U.S. it's more of a common practice for women to shave their armpits.

Underarm hair can be cute

[edit on 2-2-2005 by dbates]

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 02:44 PM
link   
i dont know how reliable this is...

but the railians you know that alian religion said that long hair acted as physic anteni

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Shave your head and grow a beard and you will be able to stare down most anyone. People seem to be terrified of tall men with bald heads and beards...

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 01:46 AM
link   
I have mine, right now its of the goatee style usually shown on Johnny Ringo,
Bill Brocius, and other " southern Gentlemen".

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 11:30 AM
link   
all of you have forgotten to mention one key point..

isn't there something in the Bible about how vanity isn't necessary?? ...about how mirrors are an indulgence of the self?

anyhow, i despise shaving
...have somewhat of a beard growing now.. i usually have sideburns and a goatee, but i'm thinking of shaving the goatee off soon.. i guess growing older has caused me to care less about my outward appearance as much, the more that i learn that it's really all about what's in the self that matters...

i guess since it's not really normal to have a beard these days, compared to hundreds and thousands of years ago, it's less "acceptable". i hope more people can learn that it's truly about what's inside, that counts!

peace, & Service-to-Others!!

[edit on 2-11-2008 by adrenochrome]

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Hmm, interesting thoughts all.

Jehovah's witnesses forbid the growing of a beard. You are allowed to have a neatly groomed mustache, (at least you could when I was still in, it may have changed) but no long hair either.

It was funny, but they always told us from the stage that it was, for one, because gay men frequently have beards. Yah, right.

Also interesting, many disfellowshipped (excommunicated) men of the JW faith often grow a beard right off the bat after being DFd (my dad did).

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by babloyi

I'm not entirely sure, but i think it was supposed to signify wisdom and knowledge to the ancients. Kind of like the older you get the more facial hair grows at the same time knowledge and wisdom you gain through age..

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Your body has its own shape. yet there are so many that wish to change it. be it the shaving of hair, the removal of fat, the reshaping of muscles. what matters are your intentions. One may shave his beard out of respect for a job or a group of friends, but why is it they would desire it shaved? There are both reasonable and unreasonable intentions for altering your self. The goal is for you to know how to decide.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   
There is a basic concept behind the beard thing.
When a farmer harvested his crop, he was supposed to not cut the wheat in the corners of his field.
The corners of the beard were not to be cut.
The edges of your clothes were not to be trimmed and the edges were to be allowed to turn into tassels.
It is something related to cutting off the fat and giving it to God, as if He owned a portion of everything and can dictate what happens to it.

[edit on 2-11-2008 by jmdewey60]

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by jmdewey60

Signifying what?

Weren't the corners of the crop left so that those less fortunate could glean from the leftovers?

So what would be the meaning of leaving the corners of your beard uncut and your clothes unhemmed?

[edit] Oh, so it signified that you were giving your best to God?

[edit on 11/2/2008 by chickenshoes]

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by babloyi
I know it is a huge stretch of imagination, but I was wondering if there was some kind of conspiracy behind facial hair. I mean, most of the jewish prophets (even Jesus) are conventionally portrayed having beards. Zeus had a beard. Druids and wizards are also conventionally portrayed having long flowing beards. Muslims are commended on having beards. Sikhs are not supposed to cut their hair, and as a result have long beards. Correct me if I am wrong, but even Rabbis have beards. I mean, there has to be a better reason than that people look dignified and intelligent with beards.
Any theories? Does anyone have information on this? Or is it just coincidence?

I think your beef should be with Bic or Gillete for arriving on the scene with disposable razors a bit too late.

I'm sure facial hair was faaaar more widely worn than today, purely for the lack of conveniently being able to shave / running water etc..

I don't think there' a "conspiracy" about facial hair.

I do, however have some suspicions about the popularity of the "Brazillian" style waxing women get

-

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by chickenshoes

Oh, so it signified that you were giving your best to God?

It is like the Sabbath. You own the first six days of the week and God owns the seventh.
It is a way of showing the dominion of God.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join