It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama - no quarantine of ebola HC workers

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
a reply to: grandmakdw

Odds are the flu will kill more people in the US this year than Ebola has killed all over the world since its discovery. While the flu may not be as efficient a killer it more than makes up for it by being so easily spread.
the odds are very much dependant on the choices being made right now.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 05:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask
a reply to: gorsestar

The measures in place at airports now are enough (temperature checks). This combined with passenger flight data is an effective early web to prevent symptomatic persons from infecting others. A travel restriction of any kind will be ineffectual.

Really? Then how did Duncan bring Ebola to Dallas? Or the other confirmed cases that got to other countries by airline?

Honestly man how can you actually believe what youre saying

He was NOT symptomatic when he boarded a plane then. I said NOW, there have been changes.

NO symptoms=NO Ebola=NO need to quarantine people.

This is such a simple concept why are you making this virus something it's not.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Seven states toughening up now?

Listen to Christie in the video. He makes sense.

Why There's So Much Controversy Surrounding Ebola Quarantine Orders

A day after New York doctor Craig Spencer was diagnosed with Ebola after traveling home from treating Ebola patients in West Africa, the governors of New York and New Jersey announced that they would enforce mandatory quarantines for all travelers who had close contact with Ebola-infected people and were arriving from Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone -- the three countries hardest hit by the current epidemic.

Later the same day, IllinoisDepartment of Public Health also announced a mandatory 21-day home quarantine for high-risk individuals who cared for Ebola patients in the same countries.

"This protective measure is too important to be voluntary," Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn said in a statement. "We must take every step necessary to ensure the people of Illinois are protected from potential exposure to the Ebola virus. While we have no confirmed cases of the Ebola virus in Illinois, we will continue to take every safeguard necessary to protect first responders, healthcare workers and the people of Illinois."

Late Sunday night, the governors of New York and New Jersey stressed that they would allow home quarantines with twice-daily monitoring from health officials. New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said mandatory hospital quarantines would only be required of high-risk individuals arriving to New York and New Jersey who are not from either of those states.

Florida, Maine, Maryland and Virginia also announced tougher rules for travelers returning from Ebola-affected regions with the possibility of home quarantine.

In addition, the White House and DoD are bickering about troops. Freaking make a decision and announce stricter guidelines already and STOP messing with states trying to do the right thing.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 08:45 PM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

The reality is it is difficult to make decisions about quarantine with a huge range of factors to be considered also no one wants to set the precedent. If youre supporting putting people in quarantine because they have come from a region experiencing an outbreak then what is the cut off? If we are saying that 10 thousand people infected with only 2 imported cases is enough then pretty everyone getting off a plane should be quarantined.
We might as well just ban all flights out Africa because ebola is only 1 of many diseases that would fill that criteria, also we should close off most of Asia as most influenza comes from there. And hey we better lock down the good old USA because the obesity epidemic that is running rampant there is causing more deaths each year then ebola has since it was discovered, not to mention run away mental health, alcohol, drug and other public health issues.
To be clear i do support quarantining returned health care workers BUT no one else (quarantining is not under lock and guard in some chamber, it is at home not going outside) Its simply too much resources for such little gain.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 09:10 PM
link   

So then doing temperature checks at the airport isnt enough considering you can carry it to another country before youre symptomatic..........

Thank you for proving my point........

It really is a simple concept....

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 09:18 PM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

Doing temperature checks at exit airport is a far better use of resources than trying to it at entry. Literally every bit of research based on what happened during sars and h1n1 showed what a colossal waste of money and resources entry screening was, it simply isn't an effective measure.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 10:03 PM
link   
So?????!. You can travel to every continent and still not transmit it depending what condition you're in. How many more ways can I say it....
edit on 27-10-2014 by gorsestar because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 03:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: D4rcyJones
Doing temperature checks at exit airport is a far better use of resources than trying to it at entry. Literally every bit of research based on what happened during sars and h1n1 showed what a colossal waste of money and resources entry screening was, it simply isn't an effective measure.

Temperature checks are a total waste of resources.

Quarantines are not. Quarantines are the only way to stop this in its tracks PARTICULARY seeing as they keep allowing people to fly around and walk in with this disease. Quarantines WORK, despite what the murderous lawyer spin doctors and their mouthpieces want you to think.

In 2007, Time said they work. Because that administration supported it.

Study: Quarantines Work Against Pandemics

To plan for the future, researchers in Michigan went straight to the past. Led by Dr. Howard Markel, director of the University of Michigan Medical School's Center for the History of Medicine, a team of public-health experts evaluated the U.S. response to the world's last great pandemic — the Spanish flu in 1918. The new report, published in the Aug. 8 issue of the Journal of the American Medical Association, analyzed the public-health measures taken by 43 U.S. cities, all with populations greater than 100,000, during the six months between Sept. 1918 and Feb. 1919. Markel found that cities that early on adopted "old-fashioned," non-pharmaceutical interventions — such as school closures, social-distancing in the community and workplace and quarantine — and "layered" multiple interventions at once for a long period of time fared better than other cities, with slower rates of infection and lower rates of death.

They supported it then. Now, because this administration doesn't, Time toes the line? Because it's ALL about vaccines? WTF?

Study: Quarantines Work Against Pandemics

Though Markel's study has just been published, it has already been rolled into policy. The Department of Health and Human Services and CDC finished their analysis of the study's data last December before incorporating it into the Community Strategy for Pandemic Influenza Mitigation, a collection of guidelines for use by individuals and communities issued by the agencies in February. The guide offers help in coordinating and implementing a strategy to protect communities from the front end of an epidemic and to keep them afloat until the appropriate pandemic-strain vaccine can be delivered to them — which officials estimate will be four to six months after the first case is identified.s

How to Avert an Ebola Nightmare: Lessons From Nigeria's Victory

1. Swift quarantine and diagnosis. The initial patient in Nigeria, Patrick Sawyer, was isolated immediately. Unlike Thomas Eric Duncan, the Liberian man who traveled to Dallas and eventually developed Ebola symptoms and died, Sawyer was seriously ill at the airport. Even when Duncan first showed up sick at the emergency room in Dallas, he was misdiagnosed and sent home for reasons that remain unclear.

Even the freaking doublespeaking, politically whipped CDC says they work:

Isolation and quarantine help protect the public by preventing exposure to people who have or may have a contagious disease.

Isolation separates sick people with a contagious disease from people who are not sick.
Quarantine separates and restricts the movement of people who were exposed to a contagious disease to see if they become sick.

Twenty U.S. Quarantine Stations, located at ports of entry and land border crossings, use these public health practices as part of a comprehensive Quarantine System that serves to limit the introduction of infectious diseases into the United States and to prevent their spread.

Isolation and quarantine help protect the public by preventing exposure to people who have or may have a contagious disease.

1. Isolation separates sick people with a contagious disease from people who are not sick.
2. Quarantine separates and restricts the movement of people who were exposed to a contagious disease to see if they become sick.

Legal Authorities for Isolation and Quarantine

Understand Quarantine and Isolation

[CDC]

Quarantines and Travel Bans: Could They Work to Thwart Ebola?

How (and How Not) to Battle Flu: A Tale of 23 Cities

By the time officials there grasped the threat of the virus, it was too late. The disease was rampaging through the population, partly because the city had allowed large public gatherings, including a citywide parade in support of a World War I loan drive, to go on as planned. In four months, more than 12,000 Philadelphians died, an excess death rate of 719 people for every 100,000 inhabitants.

The story was quite different in St. Louis. Two weeks before Philadelphia officials began to react, doctors in St. Louis persuaded the city to require that influenza cases be registered with the health department. And two days after the first civilian cases, police officers helped the department enforce a shutdown of schools, churches and other gathering places. Infected people were quarantined in their homes.

Excess deaths in St. Louis were 347 per 100,000 people, less than half the rate in Philadelphia. Early action appeared to have saved thousands of lives.

But if someone is inconvenienced for a while or shouts about their rights, we cave on this? BS. She was USED. And this is ALL for the benefit of the corportations.

Quarantine and Isolation: Lessons Learned from SARS

Quarantine Works Against Ebola but Overuse Risks Disaster

Overuse being you cut off things like food and medical supplies...not a few weeks inconvenience for some.

A Regime’s Tight Grip on AIDS

Whatever debate may linger about the government’s harsh early tactics — until 1993, everyone who tested positive for H.I.V. was forced into quarantine — there is no question that they succeeded.

Cuba now has one of the world’s smallest epidemics, a mere 14,038 cases. Its infection rate is 0.1 percent, on par with Finland, Singapore and Kazakhstan. That is one-sixth the rate of the United States, one-twentieth of nearby Haiti.
The population of Cuba is only slightly larger than that of New York City. In the three decades of the global AIDS epidemic, 78,763 New Yorkers have died of AIDS. Only 2,364 Cubans have.

It's LOGICAL that quarantine works. Common sense. Whoever says it doesn't is blowing smoke.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Sorry i should have been clearer, i was also posting in another thread regarding airport screening.
To be clear i do support quarantining of returned health care workers.

Beyond that i do not support a quarantine unless they are identified as one of the at risk groups, clearly set in the guideline that apply to me but are probably similar to the CDC. We cant apply a blanket quarantine to all returning travelers as we (public health workers) simply don't have the resources to follow through with it and it would just result in potentially high risk contact fallen through the gaps as well as the extreme negative an deadly effect it has on the rest of our workload, responding to ebola isnt the only thing we do with our time.

I don't know fully about how your public health system works in the US, but if its anything like ours even if the CDC said that all returning travelers should be quarantined they cant actually enforce it, that is up to local government to do. Its extremely frustrating in public health when you have someone on the phone who has a contagious disease and you tell them to stay at home and they respond with something like "yea im just going to watch the game at a friends place then ill be home" and you have know legal recourse in which to stop them. If youre frustrated by the issue because you just become familiar with it due to the media attention spare a thought for us who have for decades had to grind through the maddening political layers in order to try and do our jobs.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 04:21 AM
link   
a reply to: D4rcyJones

I do empathize. And I'm not concerned or unconcerned with media attention. I am concerned with them doing the right thing for the right reasons.

P.S. I'm wondering if those thermometers they're giving out are like the crap ones from China like the one I got at Walgreens (not cheap either) that give you readings all over the scale.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 04:28 AM
link   

I would certainly hope they are giving out good ones but more importantly telling people how to actually use them... taking your temperature is one thing and doing accurately and consistently is another.

I know with the thermometers we have stocked to give out all have to be at the same standard as what is used in a hospital, however they are very difficult to read so we have now order better ones. i took my temperature twice in an hour and had a difference of 3 degrees, obviously im not medically trained..

Also when dealing with families of returned people everyone needs their own thermometer that only they use.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 07:06 AM
link   
CDC says people at high risk for Ebola should stay home

New guidelines from the Obama administration would restrict the movement of people at high risk of Ebola but would not require mandatory quarantines. The guidelines, issued by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Monday, individualize recommendations for travelers based on a person's level of risk.

New? Liars.

This was and more always the guideline.

The spin on this one is strong.
edit on 10/28/2014 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 07:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: gorsestar
So?????!. You can travel to every continent and still not transmit it depending what condition you're in. How many more ways can I say it....

Depending on the "condition" theyre in? The issue isnt just catching people exhibiting signs, the issue is making sure they arent in other countries when time runs out........

you dont wait for the clock to drop down to single digits before you defuse the bomb, you take care of it before hand.....

IE QUARANTINE for anyone exposed and STOP ANYONE ENTERING WITH A PASSPORT FROM AFRICA!

Christ people are dense

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 08:18 AM
link   

you dont wait for the clock to drop down to single digits before you defuse the bomb, you take care of it before hand.....

I like this analogy.
Don't bring any bombs in the house!

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 08:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity
323141 965CDC says people at high risk for Ebola should stay home

New guidelines from the Obama administration would restrict the movement of people at high risk of Ebola but would not require mandatory quarantines. The guidelines, issued by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Monday, individualize recommendations for travelers based on a person's level of risk.

New? Liars.

This was and more always the guideline.

The spin on this one is strong.

Yes, we will stay with the original plan and pretend that we changed it.
Political hacks.
What did we expect when they hired the person that they did for as 'Ebola Czar'?

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: gorsestar

Depending on the "condition" theyre in? The issue isnt just catching people exhibiting signs, the issue is making sure they arent in other countries when time runs out........

IE QUARANTINE for anyone exposed and STOP ANYONE ENTERING WITH A PASSPORT FROM AFRICA!

Christ people are dense

Dude it's NOT that cut and dry. Let me explain:

Temperature and symptom tests are preliminary steps in a chain to determine further medical evaluation or isolation. Those combined with passenger flight history and possible exposure risks are the guidelines for determining who needs to be quarantined.

There are:
1) high risk persons - who have had contact with the bodily fluids of Ebola patients with or without ppe on. (Health care workers)
2)some risk persons - who lived with infected people or got within 3 ft of those people without PPE on
3)low risk persons - who simply are traveling from infected countries and possibly had no contact with any infected people

If you don't comply with being evaluated then you are refused entry.

Can you see now why I scoff at the idea that we need to put everyone in quarantine?

That idea is based in entirely nothing. You no longer have a leg to stand on.
edit on 28-10-2014 by gorsestar because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Actually it is that cut and dry, since we dont know who has been exposed and who hasnt........

The most sensible method to prevent exposure to others is to keep those who are from an area that its being passed around AWAY from others who have not.......

Put a stop on African passports entering the country and mandatory quarantine and observation on all those working with the afflicted.........

Its that damn simple......

Speaking of not having a leg to stand on, how is taking a risk with multiple variables "Who may have been exposed and maybe not" sound judgement........?

Thats called Russian Roulette........and thats not good policy for walking biological time bombs.......
edit on 10/28/2014 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 01:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: deadeyedick
a reply to: ketsuko
Are you sure? it was reported by some that she did recieve some doctors blood. Not from brantly but another who had been givin zmapp and matched her type. the way this stuff is reported either one of us could be right. i am just a parrot.

Nurse Amber Vinson Ebola-free, discharged from hospitall

Looks GREAT.

She also thanked former Ebola patients Dr. Kent Brantly and Nancy Writebol for their donations of plasma to her and other patients.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   

The most sensible method to prevent exposure to others is to keep those who are from an area that its being passed around AWAY from others who have not.......

Put a stop on African passports entering the country and mandatory quarantine ..

*facepalm*

Let's put you in quarantine being that you're from an infected area (Texas).

edit on 28-10-2014 by gorsestar because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Yep it is true that zmapp cured her too and that the well being of the us is running through the veins of people that can be counted on one hand. There is no more zmapp and they can only make so much blood. So the us is very limited in how many ebola patients we can treat. Low digits numbers we are talking. This should be enough reason to be very overly cautious. We have spent billions on fancy machines that look through ones body at the airports but we are back to using hand held thermometers to check body tempature. That is pitiful givin that no matter what reason someone has a temp. they should be singled out when coming into the country. Other countries use a thermal camera and then only a hand held if someone triggers a high fever alarm.

She looks like she has been treated in the best fashion givin what she just went through. There is something about nurses that i like.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join