It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anti-Gravity Ball by MIT Opens New Dimensions

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 06:45 PM
link   
a reply to: RAY1990
Maglev trains are expensive to build (and ride). They require superconductor technology.

While there may be "mundane" uses for magnetic levitation, until it is cheaper than what we have it isn't going to be used.

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

It's always down to cost isn't it?

Well one can dream, then again aluminium was once used in jewelry it was so expensive.

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 08:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
It's magnetic levitation in a computer controlled magnetic field. The computer control allows the levitated object to be manipulated.

It is pretty neat but moving a ball bearing around in a magnetic field is not going to take over the world.

It may take over the world yet.

It's the same technology as a rail gun,

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I wonder if they will be able to take the twitches and jerks out of the movement at some point? I imagine that the computer is modifying the magnetic field, and since the field is changing to cause a specific movement, the instability that we see is caused because these fields are not very fluid. You can only really increase the strength of the field, or perhaps move the field itself.

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: JiggyPotamus

Actually, it turns out that the computer is moving a magnet around. It's sort of like a 3D printer.

Above its open-air anti-gravity space sits an electromagnet, that can be moved vertically and horizontally via a three-axis motor controller. To the side is a stereo infrared motion-tracking system made with two stock Sony PS3 Eyecam cameras, along with a video projector. A second projector and third camera sit beneath a horizontal translucent screen, that is located on a tabletop underneath the anti-gravity space.

www.gizmag.com...
edit on 10/26/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 10:30 PM
link   

I reckon magneto might have a thing or two to say about that

Magnetic energy is extremely power hungry but we are turning the curve right now on super capacitors and super conductors which will make some pretty awesome things possible very soon. Probably already possible at the highest levels.

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 11:09 PM
link   

It's magnetic levitation in a computer controlled magnetic field. The computer control allows the levitated object to be manipulated.

It is pretty neat but moving a ball bearing around in a magnetic field is not going to take over the world.

if it is in a hopper fed relativistic rail gun you are definitely wrong.

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 11:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
Oh god lighten up will you.

That would probably necessitate either divine intervention or Photoshop...

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 11:59 PM
link   
What do yo mean using this to turn it into a projectile?!? That would be a ridiculously accurate bullet. a reply to: stormbringer1701

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 12:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Murgatroid

Oh my stars and garters... that is so classic! I needed that laugh.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 12:17 AM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

They video did not mention a rip in the space time continuum. Still cool without the new dimensions.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 12:19 AM
link   
The demonstration is very cool and the manipulative capabilities seem endless.
The only problem I had with the levitation ball, is it's stability. It vibrates between rings of magnetic flux.
I wonder if they are working on a way to make this absolutely still.

edit on 27-10-2014 by charlyv because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 02:05 AM
link   

So you say .But what about if there were lots of ball bearings .And they were Muslim ,and had Ebola , and worked for the CIA ,and

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 02:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Murgatroid

Put all your phagers on stun.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 05:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kukri
Phage gets this weeks Sheldon award

Thanks for the laugh!!!

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 05:30 AM
link   

a reply to: RAY1990
Maglev trains are expensive to build (and ride). They require superconductor technology.

While there may be "mundane" uses for magnetic levitation, until it is cheaper than what we have it isn't going to be used.

The Japanese are building a maglev train ready for their Olympics, in 2020? I think.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Especially as long as that computer is off the wagon.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Murgatroid

No seriously... Comment of the year.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join