It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the F-22's 'radar signature" being exposed by it's use in Syria?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 08:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

It's easier to lighten the airframe by removing or reducing parts of a design optimized for carrier operations than it is to navalize a conventional design. I think that is the point he's trying to make.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: _Del_

I'm still not entirely convinced a stealth airframe is the best fit on a ship. Corrosion is going to be an interesting factor with them.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   

There's been a lot of work on hydrophobic RAM. Dating back to before the Sea Shadow. Both Boeing and LockMart have claimed varying amounts of success. You just have to keep spraying it down and rinsing it, but you have to do that on Aluminum and most composites, too, to prevent corrosion.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 02:59 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 03:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: mbkennel

originally posted by: aholic
a reply to: mbkennel

The F-111 didn't work out so well for the Navy. And they ended up with an arguably better airplane because of that misdirection.

Because they didn't actually design it well for navy. And then they made the F-4, which also turned out so good AF wanted some too.

The F-111 came much after the F-4. It was apart of the TFX competition which subsequently gave us the Tomcat.

The F-14 turned into a pretty nice strike platform in Gulf War 1. And the Iraqi pilots ran the # away from them even though they were willing to engage (and lose) to other aircraft.

So did the one elevens.
edit on 30-10-2014 by aholic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 03:29 AM
link   
Russia operates many spy ships around the world and we have intercepted Russian Bombers with F-22. They have already farmed everything they can off of it at this point.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 04:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Xeven

Are you sure about that?

The pictures I've seen of F-22s intercepting Russian Bombers all had external fuel tanks. Also, a 'Bear' probably can't match the sophisticated capabilities of ground units built for that very purpose.....

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 04:59 AM
link   
a reply to: stirling

OK...these stealth aircraft are radar stealthy right?

They have the effective radar return of a typical large bird, like an eagle or albatross etc..but they get warm..do they not?

How does a stealthy aircraft with radar camo paint and absorbing surface angles prevent being easily seen optically in the IR?

I don't think a stealth aircraft would look much like an eagle through a sophisticated electronically controlled IR optical system.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: MysterX

You cannot prevent being seen at optical or IR wavelengths. You cannot prevent being seen at radio (radar) wavelengths, either; you can, however, minimize that detection range. The useful detection range of optical and IR wavelengths is much smaller than that provided by radar. Stealth is not a silver bullet, but it is a huge tactical advantage, nonetheless.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 10:27 PM
link   

I'll add that additionally there have been lots of advancements in IR shielding and optical camouflage. Hopefully sooner or later this research will come to light.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Lots of advances indeed. Look into nano spheres. Can do wonderful things to/with heat.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 12:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: MysterX
a reply to: stirling

OK...these stealth aircraft are radar stealthy right?

They have the effective radar return of a typical large bird, like an eagle or albatross etc..but they get warm..do they not?

How does a stealthy aircraft with radar camo paint and absorbing surface angles prevent being easily seen optically in the IR?

I don't think a stealth aircraft would look much like an eagle through a sophisticated electronically controlled IR optical system.

I agree if a sophisticated enemy wants to spot you they can with enough resources. In the case of the F-22, f you look at the exhaust, they are shielded by the thrust vectoring nozzles that reduce the IR signature. The B-2 actually has its exhaust embedded into the upper surface of the aircraft which helps significantly. These may seem like small changes but they can mean the difference from a heat seeking missile locking on or not.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 12:13 AM
link   
a reply to: boomer135

combined with something like this, you can stand a fair chance.

and/or

edit on 4-11-2014 by aholic because: link

edit on 4-11-2014 by aholic because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 07:57 PM
link   
a reply to: aholic

Is that the strobe light Zaph referred to? A constantly changing 'image' that is too fast for an optic tracking system to analyze?

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 07:58 PM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

No it's part of a missile defense system that detects missiles fired at the aircraft.
edit on 11/5/2014 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Then what??

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Then both an alert sounds in the cockpit, and automatic systems engage to try to divert the missile.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 12:46 AM
link   

You'll notice there is one behind every engine and the APU exhaust. Essentially every hot spot.

Look at that host of other trinkets too!

It is an BAE derived AN/AAQ-204 IR countermeasure that

fires pulsating flashes of IR energy that confuse a missile’s guidance system.

www.globalsecurity.org...

However this is what's said to be new on VC-25, www.northropgrumman.com...

Will be installed on KC-35's as well I believe. This I'm paying attention to.

edit on 6-11-2014 by aholic because: sic

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 06:51 AM
link   
a reply to: aholic

The -135s are getting a bolt on Guardian system.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join