It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK, Europe on collision course over €2.1bn bill

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: flammadraco
a reply to: Peeple

Without us Brits, France would be German now, not once but twice. Don't slag the Brits off, we've more balls than most EU countries will ever have. Think you'll find in your local library that the Brits went to war with Germany to protect France and other EU nations long ...

Protection of France and Poland was not the primary reason the UK entered World War 2, although it is the one that gets taught about in schools.

The main reason the UK entered World War 2, and specifically, at the point we did, was to stop the German war machine being able to consolidate its forces, entrench, and utilize the resources of the countries it had already occupied. It was obvious to the UK Government that despite Hitlers assurances that he would not extend past Czechoslovakia, that he wouldn't actually stop, and that sooner or later he would turn his attention to the UK.

If we hadn't enjoined the war at the point we did so, the German war machine would have been able to consolidate, entrench, and been a lot harder to rout, and it was hard enough to rout them as it was. Protection of Poland, and other European countries was a purely secondary effect of this decision, but was not the driving reason for the decision.

This 'real' reason is only really taught at University level, and most people don't ever realise it.

Anyway, sorry for the offtopic.

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: BMorris

Well according to "Peeple" we would all be German now if it was not for the Yanks! Don't remember our American cousins fighting alongside our forefathers in World War One

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: flammadraco

Never talked about WWI, but okay, reading is hard...Reading comprehension skills aren't very wide spread so I get misunderstood a lot. Read again, or kiss my shiny ass.

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

Then I suggest you take your own advice as I've mentioned both World Wars throughout this thread.

You seem to have an issue with us Brits but live in the UK (unless you've moved on since your intro) typical European pro unionist, slag off the UK at every opportunity but still live in the UK. And you wonder why the Brits don't want anything to do with the Germans Vision of the EU.

seems to me that most EU citizens want the UK out, the Brits want the UK out so what are we all waiting for. I despise the current EU set up, it's a Nazi dream coming true.

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Korg Trinity

Labour will have a new leader shortly after the result.

Labour currently has a leader? Who that?

Here a joke for you:

Ed Milliband

He is the joke and punch line!

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

originally posted by: Korg Trinity

Labour will have a new leader shortly after the result.

Labour currently has a leader? Who that?

Here a joke for you:

Ed Milliband

He is the joke and punch line!

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple
It's not really big news the UK is and never was truly a part of the EU. Maybe a psychological issue from being so isolated, floating around with no true neighbours, too wealthy and weak at the same time?
Well pay your bills and feel free to never come back to this establishment ever again.
This pub is closing, final round, mates!

And back on-topic, please.
Also flammdraco, I left your sinking ship,
Sincerely, your rat.

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dabrazzo

Leave the EU, abandon the human rights act, coalition with UKIP = Police State.

UK spent a long time out of the EU and we never were a police state. In fact the police state has increased SINCE we joined the EU!
edit on 26-10-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dabrazzo
a reply to: Korg Trinity

Despite the fact EU trade agreements are worth 240 billion annualy?, and that it is infact David Cameron who wants to do this?

And no one is going to cancel them!

If they did it would screw over the rest of the EU!!!

Better to let us leave politicly but keep the trade.

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: SurrenderingAmerica

It isn't a €2.1bn bill. It's a €2.1bn contribution.

Do you know the difference between a bill and a contribution ? They are more or less the exact opposites.

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong
a reply to: SurrenderingAmerica

It isn't a €2.1bn bill. It's a €2.1bn contribution.

Do you know the difference between a bill and a contribution ? They are more or less the exact opposites.

Quite right!

A bill you get something in return..

A contribution you don't!

Korg.

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

I am told that the EU has already said, that if we withdraw from the union, we would lose all our tax free and reduced tax trading agreements, and we would be required to pay the full import/export taxes, the same as other non-eu countries are charged. Norway and Sweden are special case exceptions, and we would not get the same exceptions, probably to punish us for leaving.

Having to pay full rate import/export duties to buy/sell goods in Europe, would bankrupt a huge amount of small and medium sized business here, with serious knock-on effects for the rest of the UK economy. People need to take of the rose tinted spectacles about withdrawing from the EU. Yes, the EU is expensive, but withdrawing from the EU will hurt a lot more than staying in, at least financial wise.

Bear in mind that the Government wants to withdraw, badly, for their own reasons. Everything you hear is political spin.

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 12:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: BMorris

I am told that the EU has already said, that if we withdraw from the union, we would lose all our tax free and reduced tax trading agreements, and we would be required to pay the full import/export taxes, the same as other non-eu countries are charged. Norway and Sweden are special case exceptions, and we would not get the same exceptions, probably to punish us for leaving.

Having to pay full rate import/export duties to buy/sell goods in Europe, would bankrupt a huge amount of small and medium sized business here, with serious knock-on effects for the rest of the UK economy. People need to take of the rose tinted spectacles about withdrawing from the EU. Yes, the EU is expensive, but withdrawing from the EU will hurt a lot more than staying in, at least financial wise.

Bear in mind that the Government wants to withdraw, badly, for their own reasons. Everything you hear is political spin.

Cutting off the nose to spite the face!

They would regret it as many businesses would have a thing or two say about that one!

and with the UK strengthening import/export with other non EU countries would weaken the EU further!

Korg.

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   

we would be required to pay the full import/export taxes

Just think of all those thousands of German, French and Italian cars sold into The U.K. amongst many other things imported from The E.U. into The U.K. All would be subject to full import duty.

It works both ways.

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   

EU could not do that.

If they did they are signing there own doom too. The EU economy is teeting on the edge as it is, if they reject British business its curtains for them.

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   

But the UK citizens have never had a say if we wanted a political union with the EU and as such we have the same right as every other EU citizen who has already voted on joining the EU and Euro. We only were asked forty years ago if we wanted a common market, we were not asked if we wanted a political union.

From my understanding from what your post said, is we should be scared into keeping the status quo.

It works both ways, if import tax is imposed on UK products then we in turn will impose the same tax on imports from the EU. The EU is going to loose a lot more than what the UK will if we decided to leave. The EU will want to keep the UK and friendly terms if we leave as it will benefit them to do so. Stop scaremongering and at least agree that UK citizens have the right to a referendum as did all other EU citizens had the right.

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: LeBombDiggity
£1.7 billion is a price well worth paying to be rid of the British.

Haha! That's funny as # coming from a French citizen who is enjoying the benefits of living in the UK and supports Scots independence. Thanks for the laugh.

...oh, and on topic, I hope the UK does not pay that EU bill, and I look forward to the referendum for us to remove that bloated and unnecessary extra tier of government over us.

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   

I think you may be missing the point a bit.

We need an open, honest and frank public discussion and debate on the pro's and con's of continued membership of the EU....including political union.
The British people have never had the opportunity to express their wishes.

If, after such a debate and referendum the UK electorate chooses to remain within the EU then it must get off the fence and start taking a proactive role within it.
We need to get off the fence once and for all.

A Federal Europe in itself need not be a bad thing but the current amoral, corrupt and dictatorial format needs a radical overhaul and urgent reform.

Taxing a constituent nation on what is essentially a growth in its black economy, a part of the economy from which the relevant nation raises no taxes, is totally unacceptable.

As it stands we need to reassert UK authority over UK issues.

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

Biggest importers of BMW and Mercedes in the EU?

You guessed it - the UK.

Imagine their reaction if the EU try to restrict trade between Germany and the UK?

They are just the tip of the iceberg - same applies for numerous EU businesses.

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

I think you may be missing the point a bit.

We need an open, honest and frank public discussion and debate on the pro's and con's of continued membership of the EU....including political union.

Such a discussion, if free from political spin, would be good. However I can't see any of the main political parties holding an open and honest discussion, without trying to spin their angle to suit their agenda. Sadly.

The British people have never had the opportunity to express their wishes.

Neither did any of the citizens of the founding EU countries. It was their government that decided what was best for them. Which is how politics work. Citizens don't vote on individual issues. Even most of the newer EU members didn't hold a referendum, although a few did.

If, after such a debate and referendum the UK electorate chooses to remain within the EU then it must get off the fence and start taking a proactive role within it.
We need to get off the fence once and for all.

There can be no 'honest' debate imho, the politico's will apply too much spin. Everyone needs to do their own research really, in order to make a genuinely informed decision.

For the longest time, the EU actively encouraged us to become more proactive, but we remained sitting on the fence too long. Now they just sideline us. Its something of our own making, sadly.

A Federal Europe in itself need not be a bad thing but the current amoral, corrupt and dictatorial format needs a radical overhaul and urgent reform.

I'm not sure in what way its amoral. Corrupt, yes, but then, so is anyone who enters politics. They enter with the best of intentions, but as they say, power corrupts.

One significant difference however, is that in other EU member states, the general populace can vote for their EU-MP, in the same way as they vote for their national MP's. The EU wants the UK citizens to have the same right, but the UK government keeps refusing us that right (although I do remember getting a EU-MP voting form a few years ago, so maybe that changed).

Taxing a constituent nation on what is essentially a growth in its black economy, a part of the economy from which the relevant nation raises no taxes, is totally unacceptable.

To be fair, the 1.7Bn bill was NOT unexpected, despite what DC claims. His whole rhetoric is just more political spin.

As it stands we need to reassert UK authority over UK issues.

As if the government would let us do that!
edit on 26/10/2014 by BMorris because: Misquoted part

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join