It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cell phones work in airplanes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 12:31 PM
link   
This should put the conspiracy of the possibility of passengers on the doomed 9/11 flights making cell phone calls to loved ones...

money.cnn.com...

Federal regulators are set to begin discussions later this month on allowing the use of cell phones on commercial airline flights.

In July, American Airlines (Research) and cell phone maker Qualcomm (Research) held a demonstration in which in-cabin calls were made using commercially available cell phones through a small cellular base on board that connected to worldwide terrestrial phone networks.

The passengers on the plane could both receive and make calls while on the flight.

Among those making calls on that two-hour flight were government officials, executives of the two companies and reporters.

[edit on 10-12-2004 by John bull 1]

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Please read the article more carefully. It cites numerous possible problems while connecting to the ground.

And in the exerpts you posted, there is a dedicated witeless base mentioned (I always thought they'll do it eventually), whereby your cellphone is connected to a "cell" within the plane. Than, that cell is connecting to outside world using (probably) a higher power connection.

It's a lot of difference!

[edit on 9-12-2004 by Aelita]

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Good points, but remember that the passengers were already pretty low to the ground when calling, they weren't at cruising altitude on 9/11 when making those calls....

At cruising altitude, without a plane equipped for it, I seriously doubt a cell call will go through....

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 12:43 PM
link   
It states

cell phones sometimes have trouble working when the plane is at cruising altitude because phone towers aren't built to project their signals that high.

SOMETIMES have trouble working at cruising altitude. If I remember correctly, those planes were no where near cruising altitude...they were flying quite low.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by sensfan
It states

cell phones sometimes have trouble working when the plane is at cruising altitude because phone towers aren't built to project their signals that high.

SOMETIMES have trouble working at cruising altitude. If I remember correctly, those planes were no where near cruising altitude...they were flying quite low.

That is what I understand and based on the facts present and their gvien altitute there is no reason to think why the phones would not have worked.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 06:02 PM
link   
The main reason why the phones would not have worked (hypothetically) is because they were not switched on or in use by their owners at the time, never mind the altitude.

You still need to take one view or the other as to whether certain "unprovable" events on 9/11 occurred as per "official" accounts or whether there has been some manipulation and massaging of the facts.

The possibilities are a little different now as compared to 2001. In 2001 as I understand it, connection would have depended on the phone type as much as proximity to a transmitter.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 06:07 PM
link   
*Comercial cell phones*

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Hi MaskedAvatar. Question for you...This is the first I have heard about the cell phones not being switched on or in use...Can you please enlighten me on how this info was obtained and how?

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 11:45 AM
link   
As a former frequent flier, I know my cell was always technically "on", as were others I knew. I just put it on vibrate...and to date, I've only received one call while flying, and that was when I was over the city coming in for a landing (I didn't answer it).

May not have been "safe", but to be honest, it's not really something you think of as being "on" or "in use"....

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Actually, in speaking with my wife this morning, there was one other time I used a cell phone in flight. We were in a holding pattern over TIA and she called me from the terminal, as my flight was late, and it wasn't showing on the boards (which is typical). Anyhow, I'm not sure how high we were (not very high), and the call went through perfectly fine.

Again, I doubt it would work (until they equip the planes) at cruising altitude, but from personal experience, I can tell you they do work when over the city. To be honest, I didn't even think of it being against regulations at the time.

So, no, there is no doubt in my mind that the 911 passengers could have easily made those calls.

new topics

top topics

join