It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

factory job gets up to 180 - 200 degrees inside by presses in summer

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 07:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: KeliOnyx
Lots of water. And not Ice water you generally want it at room temp. Gatorade is even better. Two hours isn't too bad or undoable. You do eventually kind of get used to it.

Gatorade is NEVER better than water. The ingredients are terrible.

Drink water and take a vegetarian multi-vitamin if you need extra supplements.

Sorry...I cringed when I read that.

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 07:35 PM
link   
a reply to: sarra1833

I worked for Ford and they would not get air conditioning for us for anything. Summer in St.Louis Mo. is no laughing matter.The heat and humidity can go up to 100% with a heat index of 115 degrees. They too had fans,and what I did to shrug it off was to buy 2 one liter bottles of Gatorade and freeze them the night before. Then I would take them with me,drinking out of one while the other sat in my small cooler until I needed it. Then I would go to the ladies room every regular break and take off my clothes and wet them down,then put them back on. I would make sure and stand under the fans the whole time. I worked evenings and it was a metal building that had sat in the sun all day heating up. It was the only way to survive it. The ambulances would line up outside of the building waiting for the calls to start coming in. I remember the day the big wigs all came to visit ,and driving in a car,they only made it half way down the building before turning around to go to the air conditioned offices,they asked how in the hell did we stand it? Lol,they didn't care if they killed us,and then ask how we can take it,what a joke. You could see the heat waves coming off the concrete when you came in,and the air would literally take your breathe away there. But damn,the money was good.

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 08:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: eisegesis

originally posted by: KeliOnyx
Lots of water. And not Ice water you generally want it at room temp. Gatorade is even better. Two hours isn't too bad or undoable. You do eventually kind of get used to it.

Gatorade is NEVER better than water. The ingredients are terrible.

Drink water and take a vegetarian multi-vitamin if you need extra supplements.

Sorry...I cringed when I read that.

I second that.
Buy sugar free electrolyte powder.
It tastes bitter but the sugar or corn syrup in sports drinks doesn't help you.

I had to work in a power house on a remote site in west Texas a few years back. No power and I was on a ladder all day for about two weeks.
Ended up tearing up tendons in my feet because I was dehydrated every day and my tendons lost elastisity.

Along with drinking plenty of water and using electrolytes, a collagen supplement helps. It's the same stuff women use for hair and nails. Keeps the tendons from getting tight if you are dehydrated every day.

Self wicking shirts ,socks and underwear are also great if the environment isn't humid.
They don't help as much in high humidity.

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 08:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Dimithae

THAT'S AN IDEA!!!!

wetting down my shirt and shorts at break. YES.
And I'll be SURE to never wear a white shirt because I'm one of 3 females who work there.
You know how factories are, especially overnight.
The pervs are out, lol. It'd all be joking fun (any ''normal'' person would look at it as sexual harassment, pfffffft) anyway but yeah. xD I'm just as pervy mouthed so I fit in with the guys and gals perfectly.
I just wont bring ammo via a wet white tee shirt ROFL.

Seriously though, I will be doing that, guaranteed.

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I thought it was illegal to have people work over a certain temperature. I have worked in hot and humid mills even a metal building and temps like 100 degrees or so. I would save all my vacation days for the hottest days in the year. We would get these scarf things you soak in water and they expand and somehow give a little cooling relief. Fans were vital but even then you would get dizzy and nauseas because it was just blowing hot air. To me it was like torture. Your temps are way higher and dangerous for your health. I can't believe they would even allow a human being to work in those conditions. We treat our animals better than that!

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 08:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

You and me both, NightStar. I was curious too if that's inhumane. It's like working inside an oven at 200 degrees for 8 to 12 hours.
Those 10 min breaks, well, we go outside.
And the 15 min lunch, ditto.
Makes sense no ac. How could any ac component battle with tons of presses all running at 400 to 600 degrees 24/5?
So I'm not sure but the company has been there since the 40's.
No one has died from the heat yet that I know of.

That I know of.

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Lol , Monster energy and chips are probably not the ideal way of staying fit for work . Hydration is the thing as many have suggested . It helps a lot if you can pre load with water , easier if you don't start the game behind on the scoreboard . Electrolytes are also very important and definitely stay away from sugar . Also here in Australia a lot of people use a camelbak which is like a backpack filled with water and a tube near your mouth to drink through . Sorry no link but it comes up easily on google . Filled with cool water its like an ice vest . Lastly drink little sips of water but drink them often . Good luck

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 08:52 PM
link   
a reply to: hutch622
Thanks! It's about to become winter here so it's not hot at all outside (though inside I build up a little sweat now and then). No, I'm definitely going to start doing the fresh fruit/veggies etc approach when spring comes around so I can get my body used to eating like that at work. Heck, I may start Monday to be honest. No time like the present.

I do like monster though (or red bull) due to being overnight shift and I get exhausted mid shift without an energy drink. But yeah, I'll check the camel thing for sure. That should really help things out.

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 11:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hushabye
a reply to: intrepid

But not 'table salt'! That sheet is bad for you. Make your own saline solution from a good mineral or sea salt. I use the pink rock salt dissolved in spring water. You can look up the amount of salt you need.

Table salt is just sodium chloride. All of the valuable trace minerals have been stripped away. Even the stuff they sell as "sea salt" has usually been stripped of the more valuable minerals.
I prefer the Celtic sea salt. It only costs a few bucks for a pound that will last for a long time and contains all of the valuable trace minerals. It tastes a lot better, too. It's easy to find online if the local grocer doesn't stock it.

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 11:21 PM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

OoohI never heard of Celtic Sea Salt. Sounds promising. I was switching over to sea salt, but if Celtic is better, I'll go that route, though I rarely salt anything since it's not good for a person.

Is there a way to make electrolyte drinks without the bad that Gatorade is?

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 11:25 PM
link   
We also used spray bottles with water and would spray each other. LOL Hell, I came close to soaking my head in the ladies room for relief. Never did, but sure came close. I wouldn't even be able to work in the temps that you will be. I'd surely die or go insane. I can't tolerate heat and humidity as it is, to work in it like I said was torture for me. Never thought I'd say this, but I'm glad I'm disabled and don't work anymore. As much pain as I am in on a daily basis with back problems, I'd take that over sweltering heat day in and day out. I wish you the best but fear for your health.

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 11:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: sarra1833

I rarely salt anything since it's not good for a person.

That is not true if you are sweating your ass off. The body needs salt to function properly.
Hyponatraemia is a low level of sodium or salt in the blood. Symptoms are not usually very specific and can include changes to a person's mental state, headache, nausea and vomiting, tiredness, muscle spasms and seizures.

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Is there something I can do/make/use to keep my electrolytes up while working? They say Gatorade is good, some say it's bad. What would you suggest?

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 12:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

yeah in a way I wish my (I think it is) RA in my fingers would get worse so I could get on disability but then again, I love working.

This is the best paying job so far (Will be making 11.11 an hour in a few months once I top out, hopefully in 3 months) so I really dont want to give it up and getting on disability is brutally hard to do. And what, to live off maybe 500 a month or whatever lousy pittance they give? egh.

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 01:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: sarra1833

Is there something I can do/make/use to keep my electrolytes up while working? They say Gatorade is good, some say it's bad. What would you suggest?

Gatorade is basically sugar water with a pinch of salt.
I'm a little hypoglycemic at times. I'm bad about working and not eating.
I down a little here and there to keep my blood sugar up.

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 03:06 AM
link   

yeah I can do the working and no eating thing too. I have a bad habit of eating maybe a sandwich at 4pm, going into work at 11pm, having my monster, maybe some peanuts or chips and then coming home at 7am and sleeping til 2pm, repeat forever.

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 07:38 AM
link   

I read somewhere that a vitamin D deficiency can increase swelling and pain in the joints. With you working at night and sleeping during the day are you getting enough natural sunlight? You may want to look into it and see. It could help with your RA.
As for the inhumane working conditions, we have a rubber plant of some kind nearby. My nephews have worked there. They Would tell me how hot it was but, would have to wear long pants and shirts due to the "presses" or whatever they were using to protect them from burns. I've seen them with some really good burns on their abdomens.
They would tell me if "they don't do the job, someone else will." How true....

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 08:10 PM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

Thank god we can wear shorts and it's also a rubber/plastic molding plant. Got lucky there. And i'll look into Vitamin D. I'm taking every bit of advice on this post to heart. I may spend a lot of money to do all this, but I'm determined to weather through this.

Pun? Nah.

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I make one thousand seventy six dollars a month for my disability and had no choice as the pain was unbearable and could no longer work. Also went through cancer. I hope to hell you are safe and well once you start working in that heat.

If they give you vacation days that you can choose, or sick days, save them! My last place of employment was generous and I tried to save as many days as I could to take off on the hottest days of the year. They also bought us popcicles always had a supply of gaterade for us. The lunch room was air conditioned and if we were getting dizzy or sick we were allowed to go there for a while. Best company I ever worked for. Good luck to you.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join