It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

East Bay CHP Officer Accused Of Stealing Nude Photos Says It’s ‘Game’ For Police

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Seems these police think they are above the law, hopefully the courts believe differently...

SanFrancisco.cbslocal.com

Officer Sean Harrington of Martinez reportedly confessed to stealing explicit photos from the suspect’s phone, and said he forwarded those images to at least two other CHP officers.

Harrington told investigators this kind of image stealing has been going on for years in the state law enforcement agency, stretching all the way from Los Angeles to his own Dublin station.

Harrington called the photo stealing a “game” and said he had done the same thing to female arrestees a “half dozen times in the last several years.”

So stealing and sharing photos from people he arrests is a game, pure class.

insidebayarea.com

A Contra Costa District Attorney investigator has recommended felony computer theft charges against CHP officer Sean Harrington, 35, of Martinez, according to search warrant records obtained by this newspaper. The five-year CHP veteran has been assigned to desk duties during the probe, a CHP spokeswoman said.

While a record of the forwarded photos was deleted from the woman's Apple iPhone, her iPad, which was synced to her phone via the iCloud service, revealed that the explicit photos in her "photos" app were forwarded to an unknown phone number in the 707 area code while she was in police custody. The woman researched the number and learned it belonged to her arresting officer, according to the court records.

I hope they throw the book at him and maybe he will rat out his buddies on the force who do this as well.

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Could someone find out if he is married and ensure his wife finds out.

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Post his face, his name, and his game on social networking sites. The more women who know he is a creep, the lesser his chances of getting laid.

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   

A Contra Costa District Attorney investigator has recommended felony computer theft charges against CHP officer Sean Harrington, 35, of Martinez, according to search warrant records obtained by this newspaper.

I recommend a lead pipe to the neck... but that's just me.
edit on Cpm4Saturday3520141231Sat, 25 Oct 2014 16:35:12 -05002014 by CagliostroTheGreat because: cannot abide a typo/ eta

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   
So he sent them from the girl's own phone? This seems lazy in the day in age of digital trails.

So..Happy Trails?

Cops get fired over this # but kill a hostage and you're good. Shoot a 7 year old girl, ah you're good.

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: nrd101

He wasn't fired, he is riding a desk.
Which is the same thing that happens when they kill some one.
So from killing people to violating trust, your punishment is to get paid and do paper work

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 06:41 PM
link   
He'll get a reprimand and a warning. Maybe community service, but I'd be surprised if even that. If a cop can shoot a 7 year old and get away with it, what are the chances this guy will serve time.
The message has been received loud and clear : Cops do what they want and John Q better learn to live with it.

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 06:50 PM
link   
So much for the right to remain silent. The only positive outcome is that he's now drawn attention to the situation. It wouldn't surprise me if they were all in on it. Joining the force is similar to joining a cult. What happens behind the shield stays behind the shield.

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 06:58 PM
link   
How is this not a sex crime? He should be a registered sex offender after this. I hope to see this story on NLBS because this is definitely next level

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Well, if the NSA and the hacker Fappening's don't steal and share the nudies that everyone now days seems to love to share, cops will! Gotta protect yourselves, meanwhile hoping and waiting for authorities not to be getting away with their "game".

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 08:19 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

While what you said seems to be the case, I'm still holding my breath that they will charge the officer for the crime he committed.

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I posted yesterday that they do not follow their oath to uphold the constitution. That would be illegal search and seizure. No one on my post seemed to care. This is what you get when you don't can about them being bound to the oath they take to be enforce to the constitution. They constantly make laws to help them break our constitutional rights. That is the root here. a reply to: Elton

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 01:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: roth1
I posted yesterday that they do not follow their oath to uphold the constitution. That would be illegal search and seizure. No one on my post seemed to care. This is what you get when you don't can about them being bound to the oath they take to be enforce to the constitution. They constantly make laws to help them break our constitutional rights. That is the root here. a reply to: Elton

Actually in Ca courts have ruled they can in fact search the cell phones of people in custody.

See "People v. Diaz" for details on the link below :-)

epic.org...

" There is currently a split among state and federal courts over the cell phone search-incident-to-arrest doctrine. The Fourth, Fifth, and Seventh Circuits have ruled that officers can search cell phones incident to arrest under various standards, and that rule has been followed by the Supreme Courts of Georgia, Massachusetts, and California. "

I spent just over 12 years with the CHP but my time was before everyone had a cell glued to them.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23
Post his face, his name, and his game on social networking sites. The more women who know he is a creep, the lesser his chances of getting laid.

The greater issue isn't HIM being a creep, the greater issue are ALL the other CHP officers involved in this "game."

You can't really have a "game" like this one without multiple willing participants.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Elton

and that is pretty much a great example of unprofessional people crapping all over their jobs and their duty. AND themselves really. Scum world.

Cops need to police themselves and develop some honor where this stuff happens. These people in question are scum bags. They are probably just as scummy to their own. If you cant respect someone you swear to then why be descent to people you didnt. Thats why cops in these places sleep with each others wives and talk crap about each other non stop.

Female cops where these things happen are usually very promiscuous drunks..like nasty bar hags, and the guys in these law enforcement communities that do stuff like this are traitorous friends to each other...and dont tell me different.

edit on 10 28 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Harrington called the photo stealing a “game” and said he had done the same thing to female arrestees a “half dozen times in the last several years.”

Text messages obtained by the newspaper also show the kind of exchanges going on. In one exchange involving Harrington and another officer, Harrington said, “Just rerun a favor down the road buddy” with a smiley face.

link

Search warrant documents detail the text messages sent between several Dublin-based CHP officers about the racy photos. "Her body is rocking" states one. Another reads: “Taken from the phone of my [woman in custody] while she’s in X-rays. Enjoy buddy!!!”

This goes back to the whole "bad apples" argument. The issue is not a few bad apples, the issue is all these apparent "good officers" who are complicit in and support this behavior. It's a culture issue. The problems run deep.

Then to attempt to excuse this behavior by basically arguing "since others are doing it, what's the problem?" is patently ridiculous. We have cops around the country arresting and charging teens with felonies for sexting with their boyfriends and girlfriends yet cops somehow think this behavior is acceptable?

BTW, always set your phone to lock immediately and never give your password to a cop unless a warrant is delivered.

I many times wonder what cops are doing when I see them pulled over in an empty parking lot or hiding in the bushes somewhere. I guess we now know one possibility is they're pleasuring themselves to pics of girls they arrested. Great way to spend by tax dollars.
edit on 28-10-2014 by MysticPearl because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: MysticPearl

You could toss it in your car and lock the car on your way out. They cant enter a locked vehicle without a warrant. If you ever get into trouble with a bad cop lock all your stuff in the vehicle and exit it. They cant take your keys and open it without a warrant. Not if they want to keep their job. There is still no legal loophole for a cop to break into a locked car in the US if you are not under arrest.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Elton

What more may be a part of this game?

Does it go to sex or rape?

Edit: Just saying that there might be more than just stealing nude pics going on with this game.

edit on 28-10-2014 by AlaskanDad because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: tadaman

You could toss it in your car and lock the car on your way out. They cant enter a locked vehicle without a warrant. If you ever get into trouble with a bad cop lock all your stuff in the vehicle and exit it. They cant take your keys and open it without a warrant. Not if they want to keep their job. There is still no legal loophole for a cop to break into a locked car in the US.

Yes, I've been advised by multiple attorneys that if you're asked to exit your vehicle, role up the window, take the keys and lock the car behind you. Or even leave the keys in the car and have an extra set under your car in one of those magnetic boxes which go for $5.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   

yeah man. They can argue probable cause and since its an area under your control they CAN search..but only if you are already in their custody and under arrest. The thing is they CAN NOT do that for a traffic stop or other crime that doesnt lead to an arrest. Once you are arrested, they can can do what they want in searching your stuff. Until those magic words are said, and you are not yet under arrest, they cant search a locked area under your control. They know that and thats why they have to ask for you to open your trunk.

The Supreme Court ruled in Knowles v. Iowa that police cannot search a driver or passengers after ticketing them for routine traffic violations. In its decision, the Court said that a traffic violation is not an "arrest." Police officers' ability to conduct searches is limited so you would not be in their custody. The probable cause argument is also diluted in this case. Ticketing you for turning right at a red light does not give an officer probable cause to search you or your car. Traffic violations are not inherently connected to any other criminal activity. This voids a claim of "reasonable suspicion" on the officer's part.

Here is a tip for spare keys. Keep a plain flat trunk key in your wallet and an extra ignition key in your trunk. Good car thieves look for those little boxes.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join