It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vatican Library Digitizes 4,400 Ancient Manuscripts and Gives Them Away for Free

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 05:18 AM
link   
a reply to: douglas5

Some of the most relevant ancient documents, the Council of Trent etc were on the site years ago, I added some of it to some threads, though they seem to have been hidden or unavailable on the Vatican website for years, I wonder if those will be back.

Most people even followers of their religion are often rather surprised at the actual content of such documents varying from that which they were told to believe.

I know some on this site have got very upset at such documents before so I won't say too much on such things here for now.

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 05:27 AM
link   
The richest religion in the world should be doing it for free, some of the gold alter backs in South America are worth millions, that's just the gold content.

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 05:27 AM
link   
a reply to: theabsolutetruth

I wonder why the truth seems to hurt people so much when it comes to religion and why people accept a false bubble - but there we are. Personally I prefer a mystery to be explored when I arrive.

I do congratulate the vatican but would point out most of the documents, unless they were vatican generated, were stolen in the first place and the vatican had no right to keep these from the public and the countries they were taken from. Religion in its fervour to stamp its way into everyone's life has committed so many crimes I am surprised we take any of it seriously, especially when they preach at one "Thou shalt not steal" a little something they ignored and still do.

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 05:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Shiloh7

I guess some people take comfort in a belief that they feel strongly tied to but when it all dissolves into an abhorration of lies and deceit, they try denying the truth as they can't handle that they were wrong or that which they followed wasn't a true path.

Most, if not all, religions are based on power over others, some more unscrupulous than others. The early days of Christianity, and most religions of that era, were nasty, violent power struggles that stole from other beliefs as they seen fit, shaping their own deities to suit, grabbing followers of other beliefs by creating an aspect of it into theirs or by force, many were literally forced by law to adhere to religious beliefs.
edit on 26-10-2014 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 05:54 AM
link   
So, ATS, you tell me. One of the richest corporations of the world needs money to help them with their efforts to show us one tenth of one percent of what they own?

Yep, and they are one of the good guys. Right. Why don't we have a pile of foul smelling poo emoticon?

Before you rip me on semantics, corporation, government, religious leaders, all the same.

I ain't buying what they are selling. There's no way they are going to release anything that puts them in a bad light nor are they going to give us anything that would take away their power.

I am biased and will admit it but I still think they are blowing smoke up our collective asses.

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 07:08 AM
link   
This is really an amazing event. Of course, anything controversial will remain hidden within the library walls, but this is a start!

Notice that of what has been released, they were pieces that had previously been "donated" to the library by others. I doubt we'll see anything with the tagline, "This was stolen by the Pope in 1514......"

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 07:17 AM
link   
a reply to: MRuss

I would like to see the 'confessions' of all of those burnt at the stake, but that will never happen.

P

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 07:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheSpanishArcher
So, ATS, you tell me. One of the richest corporations of the world needs money to help them with their efforts to show us one tenth of one percent of what they own?

I don't think the Vatican has the expertise, so getting support at a logistical, technical and management level is sensible. Anyway, it is how the world works as you get partners to spread the risk, cost and benefit.

I think this is really good news. See www.bodleian.ox.ac.uk... for other facets of the story. There are a number of projects to digitise our past and I welcome them all.

Also, the Vatican is not a corporation. It is a State.

Regards

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 08:25 AM
link   
This site has some links to archive documents that might not be available on the Vatican archive site.

The original canonical document on the Council of Niceae can be found online somewhere, this site has some translation material.

Here are some translated transcripts of the Council of Nicaea, Trent and the First Ecumenical.

www.tertullian.org...
www.tertullian.org...
www.newadvent.org...
www.intratext.com...
www.intratext.com...
www.intratext.com...
www.intratext.com...
edit on 26-10-2014 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 08:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: pheonix358
I would like to see the 'confessions' of all of those burnt at the stake, but that will never happen.

If you took the time to look, you may find there is quite a lot of stuff that has been digitised, transcribed and translated. As a starter for ten, there's the National Archives, British Library, Lambeth Palace and a huge number of other archives, many of which are under the jurisdiction of academia e.g. the Bodleian or the Parker Library. Most archives and libraries are there for research and education, and require a bit of work to understand.

Here's a start discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk...

I am guessing that if the Vatican digitised records of confessions of heretics from hundreds of years ago you would have trouble understanding the writing, unless you a scholar in such material. However, never too late to learn if you have a interest in the subject. Or was it just a throw-away remark?

Regards

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Sorry, but the CC has given me no reason over it's centuries of existence to believe anything they say. And since they actually have more money than God, Gods, any government known to man or anyone else, yeah, they should be footing the bill.

There is no reason to trust them. It's akin to listening to the MSM or some pundit and thinking you are getting the truth. Doesn't happen.

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: TheSpanishArcher

So dont look at it

Simple as that..

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 10:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Poppcocked

My opinion is worth less than two cents. Your mileage varies, no biggie.

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Thank you for sharing this!!
I have always wanted to get into the Vatican archives! This is an incredible start. I'm sure that there won't be anything incriminating, but this is still our history none the less. I don't agree with the church either,but there is little that we have digital access to in our own homes that can come close to this! I'd also love to peruse other historical libraries, but it's just not possible. This enables me to do some serious reading while my little man wipes sticky fingers all over me, viola, the best of both worlds!

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: theabsolutetruth
This site has some links to archive documents that might not be available on the Vatican archive site.

The original canonical document on the Council of Niceae can be found online somewhere, this site has some translation material.

Here are some translated transcripts of the Council of Nicaea, Trent and the First Ecumenical.

www.tertullian.org...
www.tertullian.org...
www.newadvent.org...
www.intratext.com...
www.intratext.com...
www.intratext.com...
www.intratext.com...

excellent post theabsolutetruth i wish i could give you more than one star for those great links wait i can

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Thanks.

At least you appreciate them.

Some don't realise those documents are there and were on the Vatican website even 10 years ago. The information is there for those that seek it.

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   

So what documents are the more interesting ones to look out for? The cream of the crop, so to speak.

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: combatmaster

I would recommend Divine Magisterium, The Councils of Nicaea and Trent, Constantinople, the Ecumenicals, the Decrees, papal Bulls and Edicts and of course seeing as this is a conspiracy site the 'secret' /'mystic' extra writings of Mark.

That lot should set your religious conspiracy nerves a tingling.

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: jude11

I would think the Vatican owes it to the world to pay for this themselves. After all, their money came from the world thru donations, theft and wars.

Exactly.... Now if they'll just open up all the documents that show the churches real history, then they might get a donation from me.

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi

originally posted by: pheonix358

If you took the time to look, you may find there is quite a lot of stuff that has been digitised, transcribed and translated. As a starter for ten, there's the National Archives, British Library, Lambeth Palace and a huge number of other archives, many of which are under the jurisdiction of academia e.g. the Bodleian or the Parker Library. Most archives and libraries are there for research and education, and require a bit of work to understand.

Here's a start discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk...

I am guessing that if the Vatican digitised records of confessions of heretics from hundreds of years ago you would have trouble understanding the writing, unless you a scholar in such material. However, never too late to learn if you have a interest in the subject. Or was it just a throw-away remark?

Regards

The disagreements sounds like the kind of arguments you get between Linux distro masters over what packages to include; KDE! No way! Yes! No! I want Gnome! Heretic!

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join