It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vatican Library Digitizes 4,400 Ancient Manuscripts and Gives Them Away for Free

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+47 more 
posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   
The Vatican Apostolic Libraryis now digitizing its valuable ancient religious manuscripts and putting them online via its website. All of the content is available for free.

The Library was originally founded in 1451 AD and holds over 80,000 manuscripts, prints, drawings, plates and books printed prior to 1500 AD. The titles are all written throughout history by people who had different faiths or religions, from all over the world.

In order to properly digitize the rest of the library, the Vatican is estimating that it will cost €50 million and take fifteen years. They are looking for corporate sponsors and normal people who want to see this work.

So one of the richest Organisatiions in history is looking for backers for this project this is small change really in the big scheme of things and is way overdue to get done .

I would recommend trying the E.U Parliament for the cash as they have just upped the U.K s yearly bill from £8.7 BILLION to £ 10.5 BILLION and £ 1= 1.3euros small change really

So enjoy the Vatican archives or what we will ever see

goodereader.com...
digital.vatlib.it...
edit on 25/10/2014 by douglas5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Wow, thanks for posting this.

S & F for you.

+13 more 
posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: douglas5

I would think the Vatican owes it to the world to pay for this themselves. After all, their money came from the world thru donations, theft and wars.

Time to give a little something back. 50 million is nothing to them.

Peace

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Elton

Well i have the avatar of Father Dougal Mcguire from the show Father Ted so this one was right up my street .

I might start taking confession next

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Someone tell me some RARE occult titles?

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: jude11

The church probably blows that on tea and biscuits every year Jude and they have been caught out owning firms that make arms but any excuse for more money

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7

Someone tell me some RARE occult titles?

Semiphoras and Schemhamphorash

Semiphoras and Shemhamphoras Salominis is the title of a 1686 occult book attributed to King Solomon printed by Andreas Luppius. ...

The Dark God: Satan Worship and Black Masses by Gerhard Zacharias,

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   

The link you provided only has 9 featured manuscripts and the library was inaccessible.

Where are the other 4.406 that have been digitalised? Am I missing something?

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 03:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Wifibrains

it is working at my end Wifibrains 4415 manuscripts online ?

www.vatlib.it...

now gone down with me too

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I only seen 4.415 Out of 82,000. Apparently, they have not gotten very far into the process. Only just beginning their 5 th one. Wow, that is a slow process. One would think that they would save money by having individuals volunteer their services, rather than just ask for $$$. Oops, I forgot we were talking about the Vatican! They make money by asking for $$$ even though volunteers would do it for free. Thanks for sharing though.

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 05:32 PM
link   

I wonder if any items/ manuscripts were taken by the Vatican from the Library at Alexandria before it burned down...?

+4 more 
posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   

the Vatican is estimating that it will cost €50 million and take fifteen years. They are looking for corporate sponsors

Is that a joke?

Considering the untold trillions the Vatican Bank has accumulated they are begging for 50 million euros?, the pope probably spends more than that in a weekend on under aged Filipino boys.

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Super exciting! Thanks for the info!

Now if only they would open the Vatican vaults for tours, that would be a dream come true. Just imagine all the historical treasures and items from antiquity that are just sitting down there waiting to be explored. That will never happen...but a girl can dream!
edit on 25-10-2014 by Jennyfrenzy because: autocorrect getting on my nerves!

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   
I wonder why it costs E625 to digitize each document.

Surely all you have to do is to lay it on a scanner bed and hit one button then clean it up a little in the digital form.

That is a lot of money for each one.

P

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Neat. Some of the pictures look like modern day people, except for the fact that the guys are wearing skirt like things.

I wonder what they would back then to someone who turned up wearing bluejeans and a t-shirt with cowboy boots?

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 07:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: pheonix358

Surely all you have to do is to lay it on a scanner bed and hit one button then clean it up a little in the digital form.

P

I'd assume there's more to it than just scanning these things. They probably need proper sanitary handling materials, perhaps light diffusers or filters, depending. We're talking about some very old and likely extremely fragile documents. Not just anybody should be trusted to handle them & not destroy them. I honestly don't know the first thing about how to handle old parchment, and would probably end up ruining it somehow.

But I agree, the church might as well be extorting people to scan these. "$50 million, and you can see them after scanning is complete." WTH kind of highway robbery is this? Pay for it yourselves, buttholes, it's not like you don't have the money.

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 08:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: pheonix358

P

You are paying someone to do all the work ... there are also special machine that you can lease that do the automatic page flipping for you and also apply image correction software to correct for the distorted perspective due to the curvature of the pages.

Looks like they are also going to need to pay for translators to convert all the Latin into English. I've seen some amazing websites where you could see the original page on side, and English on the other. Then you could move the cursor over Latin words and see their direct translation in English.

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Excellent Find

Cookies and tea for you.

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Anything in there about the rampant sex abuse and pedophelia in the catholic church?

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 03:16 AM
link   
A big thank you to everyone for dropping in

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join