It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

50 Percent Of American Workers Make Less Than 28,031 Dollars A Year

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: proob4

originally posted by: onequestion
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

Who's going to run the machines in ten years when we have an entire generation of untrained unskilled workers hitting the market?

That's about to happen.
I thought that many years ago when machining went from NC (taped programs) to CNC. They found workers. Btw I never got to learn anything about CNC in my apprentice program. Did not get that far.

Actually if I can figure out a way to sustain myself and still have enough time left to go to school then I want to get into cnc.

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: tinker9917

It is not 8,000 a month take home.......taxes. The average mortgage is 1000 a month a car payment is 300-400. Add in insurance and and electricity and that is 400 a month. Food cost is 400 a month easy.

Money just does not go that far anymore. I believe a true middle class household income is over 100,000 a year.

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: tinker9917

originally posted by: SubTruth
a reply to: onequestion

Hi buddy I am talking household income not personal. A household income of 100,000 a year used to equal a good life.......Not so much anymore.

100,000 per year not a good life? That would pay for a great house, 2 good cars and plenty of living expense. It's the credit cards and crap that people use that make that kind of income unlivable.

That's $8000 per month plus! If you struggle on that much income, you really need to learn some financial control.
Man i can only dream of making anything close to that. if i made that kinda money I would feel rich. In fact i would consider donating some of it to help families and kids.

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   

a reply to: badgerprints

When will people see that all of the wealth is being pooled into a handful of pockets and they aren't reinvesting it back into the community they are hoarding it.

Wal-Mart comes to mind when they go into a community, rock bottom prices that drives the local mom and pop businesses out then raises prices and offer only 'Part Time' positions that are just under 'Full time' hours so they don't have to offer the workers any benefits.

By this practice they don't put anything back into the local economy. They do get 'Tax' incentives from the local City councils for 'bringing in business'

link   

a reply to: tinker9917

It is not 8,000 a month take home.......taxes. The average mortgage is 1000 a month a car payment is 300-400. Add in insurance and and electricity and that is 400 a month. Food cost is 400 a month easy.

Money just does not go that far anymore. I believe a true middle class household income is over 100,000 a year.

This all depends on your definition of middle class.

If we go with the 1950-70's version of middle class then I would say it's closer to 150k.

link   

originally posted by: proob4

a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

Who's going to run the machines in ten years when we have an entire generation of untrained unskilled workers hitting the market?

That's about to happen.
I thought that many years ago when machining went from NC (taped programs) to CNC. They found workers. Btw I never got to learn anything about CNC in my apprentice program. Did not get that far.

Actually if I can figure out a way to sustain myself and still have enough time left to go to school then I want to get into cnc.
ya know if I had the money i would get into this new 3D printing. I got a feeling it's gonna be big and a revolution in a matter of a few years.

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   

a reply to: SubTruth

I hear you. I was an apprentice for a printing press for about a year but I had to quit because my skin was allergic to the ink. Sucked... I went to 20 dermatologist appointments before finally I got a really bad staph infection and the doc said you can't go to work tomorrow.

Before that happened though one of the press operators didn't like me so he would call me on everything. Well I took it as a personal challenge. I went home and watched videos on how to operate our press, learned about mixing the inks, and really owned it. Well after 8 months I was running my own jobs and the foreman said I was the best apprentice he'd seen in 25 years.

That's how I roll though, I used to be a sponsored professional fighter and that same attitude that made me a great fighter also Carey's onto the rest of my life.

Did you work over at Quad graphics? I know 1st pressmen earn 70,000----1000,00. But the path into that job sucks. The ink is nasty stuff and it gets everywhere. I suggest teaching yourself if you have any questions about machining just ask I will do the best I can to answer.

Coolant is also nasty stuff and many people I work with get skin issues and can not be around it. Thankfully I do not break out.

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   

I hear you. I was an apprentice for a printing press for about a year but I had to quit because my skin was allergic to the ink. Sucked... I went to 20 dermatologist appointments before finally I got a really bad staph infection and the doc said you can't go to work tomorrow.

Before that happened though one of the press operators didn't like me so he would call me on everything. Well I took it as a personal challenge. I went home and watched videos on how to operate our press, learned about mixing the inks, and really owned it. Well after 8 months I was running my own jobs and the foreman said I was the best apprentice he'd seen in 25 years.

That's how I roll though, I used to be a sponsored professional fighter and that same attitude that made me a great fighter also Carey's onto the rest of my life.

Did you work over at Quad graphics? I know 1st pressmen earn 70,000----1000,00. But the path into that job sucks. The ink is nasty stuff and it gets everywhere. I suggest teaching yourself if you have any questions about machining just ask I will do the best I can to answer.

Coolant is also nasty stuff and many people I work with get skin issues and can not be around it. Thankfully I do not break out.

No I worked for a small flexo company. It was really disappointing because I was getting s promotion to press operator already which they said never happens in a year. I literally couldn't do it though,

link   

Oh man i remember this stuff called simcool (pink crap) Man that stuff was really nasty.

link   
Delete
edit on 25-10-2014 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

link   
You are looking at a fundamental change to the US job market,since 2000 you've lost 5.2 million manufacturing jobs 3.5 million of these to China during 2000-2007,the US has lost 2.4 million it and tech support jobs and the global financial crisis got rid of 8.8 million jobs 60 percent of which paid 14-21 dollars per hour,58 percent of jobs being created now are minimum wage/low paying jobs.Basically your middle class has been severely reduced.

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: khnum
You are looking at a fundamental change to the US job market,since 2000 you've lost 5.2 million manufacturing jobs 3.5 million of these to China during 2000-2007,the US has lost 2.4 million it and tech support jobs and the global financial crisis got rid of 8.8 million jobs 60 percent of which paid 14-21 dollars per hour,58 percent of jobs being created now are minimum wage/low paying jobs.Basically your middle class has been severely reduced.

Can you throw a few links up for me to research?

The first part of fixing a problem is recognizing it's a problem in the first place.

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 02:42 PM
link   

I haven't learnt to post a link yet but if you just put in to a search engine 'jobs lost us manufacturing'or 'us jobs lost to outsourcing' you will get plenty of info I used the Washington post,the Independant UK and Bureau of labour statistics

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 02:43 PM
link   
There has never been any other time in history where income inequality has been so large without a major revolution against the upper classes.

Income inequality was nowhere near this bad during previous revolutions and long periods of social unrest. Income inequality was never as bad as it is right now in the United States.

Most revolutions started because the rich got too greedy, refused to pay their fair share, and citizens were basically getting by on a day to day subsistence allowance for which they were working long, long hours to make the rich richer.

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: AlaskanDad

Do anyone believe this situation is globally similar by accident? Why is it the same story everywhere?

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: babybunnies
There has never been any other time in history where income inequality has been so large without a major revolution against the upper classes.

Income inequality was nowhere near this bad during previous revolutions and long periods of social unrest. Income inequality was never as bad as it is right now in the United States.

Most revolutions started because the rich got too greedy, refused to pay their fair share, and citizens were basically getting by on a day to day subsistence allowance for which they were working long, long hours to make the rich richer.

Exactly what's happening.

Calling 10$ an hour a wage is a joke at best. It's an allowance. I don't care if it's mcdonalds or skilled or not. It should be fair trade work for payment. If I do a job for you that yields 100$ profit an hour I want a fair trade of that profit. Not a wage.

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I can't read the linked article right now, but is this taking into account the number that are 16-22 or so that are in college full time as well? Most kids only get minimum wage and there are a lot of them. Is this study basing this on ALL people employed or adults?

The numbers seem insanely low as I know a lot of folks that work in restaurants that make $40k + a year as servers and bartenders and don't have a college degree. It's not like it is hard to find a decent paying job these days. Trouble with a lot of people, especially young adults, is that they want instant gratification and don't want to put in the time it takes to make the big dollars.

And those that say CEO's don't deserve it, sure in a lot of instances they dont, but in a lot of instances they do. Plenty of them started their companies and built them from nothing. Are they supposed to just give handouts because they happened to do it well?

You typically earn what you earn and most are in bad positions because of earlier bad decisions...not all, but a lot are.

My thought is that if you don't like where you are then change it...trouble is a lot of people also don't like change.

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Minimum wage in Australia is $16.87 per hour,lol we wouldn't bother to get out of bed for 10 bucks an hour

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

And those that say CEO's don't deserve it, sure in a lot of instances they dont, but in a lot of instances they do. Plenty of them started their companies and built them from nothing. Are they supposed to just give handouts because they happened to do it well?

There is a vast difference between the a hard working self made millionaire who stated his own business through hard work and a CEO of a Bank/big oil company/ Pharma company who only got his job because he was born into the neo aristocracy / bummed the right guy at private school/ gave the right bribes ect
edit on 25-10-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-10-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: khnum

Can you throw a few links up for me to research?

The first part of fixing a problem is recognizing it's a problem in the first place.

If you ever wanted to get down to specifics it was Clinton.

For instance the deregulation of banks that caused the housing bubble and the banker (bankster) bailout of 2008.

Many commentators have stated that the GLBA’s repeal of the affiliation restrictions of the Glass–Steagall Act was an important cause of the late-2000s financial crisis.[9][10][11] Some critics of that repeal argue it permitted Wall Street investment banking firms to gamble with their depositors' money that was held in affiliated commercial banks.[12] Others have argued that the activities linked to the financial crisis were not prohibited (or, in most cases, even regulated) by the Glass–Steagall Act.[13] Commentators, including former President Clinton in 2008 and the American Bankers Association in January 2010, have also argued that the ability of commercial banking firms to acquire securities firms (and of securities firms to convert into bank holding companies) helped mitigate the financial crisis

Link to Glass Steagal act

Ever wonder why "Peggy" from India answers your customers service calls? Another Clinton sellout and fleecing of American jobs.
GATT Treaty

And well i should not have to explain where our jobs went. Everyone I thin knows this right?
NAFTA

Remember this guy and what he had to say? And just look at Clinton's snarky slick willy smile. What a bastard huh?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join