It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Felix Baumgartner's parachute record is broken in secret 135,000 foot jump from the edge of space

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Google boss breaks Felix Baumgartner's parachute record in secret 135,000 foot jump from the edge of space and we were kept in the dark about this event like it happens every day .

THE RECORDS BROKEN

First World Record – Exit Altitude:

Alan took off at 07:00 am MDT this morning from Roswell, NM, elevation 3673 MSL. After ascending for 2 hours and 7 minutes (1000 fpm) to a peak 'float' altitude of 136,401 feet (a unofficial record for the highest manned balloon flight), he exited at 09:09:51 MDT from an altitude of 135,890 feet (41,420 meters)—a new absolute FAI world record.

Second World Record – Vertical Speed:

In freefall, passing 100,000 feet, Alan reached a peak velocity of 822 mph,Mach 1.23 (1321 km/hr.). By comparison at the same altitude in 2012, Felix Baumgartner was falling at 809 mph and Mach 1.20 . . . however, Felix continued to accelerate . . . at 91,000 he reached his peak velocity of 843 mph, Mach 1.24. (As a further comparison, Alan was completely stable, while at the same point in time, Felix was spinning uncontrollably).

Third World Record – Freefall Distance:

Alan manually deployed his parachute after freefalling (with his stabilizing drogue) 4 minutes and 27 seconds, opening at an altitude of 12,476 feet. His total freefall distance was 123,414 feet (37,617 meters)—a new FAI World Record.

Alan landed at 09:24—14 minutes and 19 seconds after dropping away from the stratospheric balloon. His total flight time was 2 hours, 23 minutes and 40 seconds. He made a safe landing and in great condition, and of course, in high spirits—mission accomplished.

www.dailymail.co.uk... eap-edge-space.html

Eustace cut himself loose from the balloon with the aid of a small explosive device and plummeted toward the earth at a speeds that peaked at more than 800 miles per hour, setting off a small sonic boom heard by observers on the ground.

The previous altitude record was set by Austrian daredevil Felix Baumgartner, who jumped from 128,100 feet on Oct. 14, 2012.

always the last to know

edit on 24/10/2014 by douglas5 because: (no reason given)

edit on 24/10/2014 by douglas5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 08:44 PM
link   

setting off a small sonic boom heard by observers on the ground.

hmm

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 08:47 PM
link   
It was the head of Google. Maybe he was checking one of his stratosphere wifi balloons and fell out?

His IT guy told him "hey, the router's frozen, we need someone to turn it off and on again"

Congrats to Alan.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: babybunnies

I think it is strange that a great chance for some advertising was passed over , can you imagine Richard Branson doing this in secret

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 09:24 PM
link   
on a much lower budget too I might add. Video below

www.nytimes.com...
edit on 24-10-2014 by FlySolo because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 09:28 PM
link   
a reply to: FlySolo
Thanks Flysolo that is a better article on this

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 10:03 PM
link   
a reply to: douglas5

The homepage for the project.

Lots of pics in the gallery.

It is odd this was not publicized, but cool all the same. Thanks for the heads up.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 10:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

thanks for the photo
i think it is pretty weird this was not all over Google they shot themselves in the foot not being in on it , he looks like buzz lightyear in that gear

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 10:40 PM
link   
video or it didnt happen

j/j

i just really want to see this video

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 10:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rikku

setting off a small sonic boom heard by observers on the ground.

hmm

Do I sense doubt, or am I misinterpreting your post? If he was falling fast enough, it's possible that he created a sonic boom.

Felix Baugartner made an audible sonic boom when he did his then-record jump. A whip crack is a small sonic boom made by the end of the whip as the tip travels faster than sound.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Sometimes men do things just for the sake of doing it. He even said that Google did offer him funding and sponsorship on his project, but he refused it because he didn't want it to become the circus that surrounded Red Bull's sponsorship of Baumgartner's jump.

I understand his thinking.

If you set a lofty goal, failure can be crushing if you've promoted that goal to the entire world. There's a certain amount of satisfaction in achieving something quietly. If you were to fail, the public eye isn't on you, but if you succeed, the accolades are still the same as they would be if you had bragged all the way to the starting line.

Now I wonder who will be the first to jump from orbit with a ballute and chute system.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 11:24 PM
link   
a reply to: My Sock Puppet

Howdy sock glad you dropped by , i was just thinking this will start a rush to get even higher and beat the record

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 11:28 PM
link   

You mean to tell me this feat didn't require corporate sponsorship, a television licensing deal, months (if not years) of hype and a whole boatload of drama to complete?

Well color me jaded from now on

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 11:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Kgdetroit

It's great the things you can do with a multi-million pay cheque plus stock options every year , i wonder will this go on his expence account

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 11:44 PM
link   

The technology is available now to make the leap from space.

Ultralightweight ballutes offer the potential to provide the deceleration for entry and aerocapture missions at a fraction of the mass of traditional methods. A team consisting of Ball Aerospace, ILC Dover, NASA Langley, NASA JSC, and the Jet Propulsion Laboratory worked to address technical issues associated with ultralightweight ballutes for aerocapture missions under funding provided by the In-Space Propulsion Office at NASA MSFC. Significant technology advances have been made in the areas of ballute materials, aerothermal analysis, trajectory control, aeroelastic modeling, hypersonic test, and overall ballute system design processes. The results show that ultralightweight ballutes provide excellent performance and packaging benefits aerocapture, de-orbit, entry, descent, and landing missions to planetary bodies with a sensible atmosphere. This paper discusses ultralightweight ballutes, the technology advances made by the team, and applicability of the technology to planetary probe missions.

Link to full PDF

The sky is no longer the limit...

edit on 24/10/14 by My Sock Puppet because: I like to edit.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 11:46 PM
link   
How fantastic! This area of exploration is still live and well, going where no man has gone before. What a rush to vicariously share their derring-do! S&F, Doogle.

Eustace and Baumgartner stand on the shoulders of a giant, though. Let's don't forget on of my few heroes Col. Joseph Kittinger. The daredevil badass pioneer that started it all.

Joseph William Kittinger II (born July 27, 1928) is a retired Colonel in the United States Air Force and a USAF Command Pilot. Following his initial operational assignment in fighter aircraft, he participated in Project Manhigh and Project Excelsior in 1960, setting a world record for the longest skydive from a height greater than 31 kilometres (19 mi).[1] He was also the first man to make a solo crossing of the Atlantic Ocean in a gas balloon and the first human to observe the curvature of the Earth.

Serving as a fighter pilot during the Vietnam War, he achieved an aerial kill of a North Vietnamese MiG-21 jet fighter and was later shot down himself, spending 11 months as a prisoner of war in a North Vietnamese prison.
In 2012, at the age of 84, he participated in the Red Bull Stratos project as capsule communicator, directing Felix Baumgartner on his record-breaking 39-kilometer (24 mi) freefall from Earth's stratosphere, exceeding Kittinger's earlier freefall in 1960.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 11:53 PM
link   
wow... color me impressed..

And yea cant Forget the Col... nobody had a clue what would happen to him and he still went up.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 11:57 PM
link   
a reply to: The GUT

I watched a documentary about Kittinger a couple of years ago when Baumgartner broke the record and wow was that guy brave to even think about doing it back then , and how nobody attempted it in all those years shows how difficult a task it is

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Now correct me if I am wrong but wasn't a top secret space ship in orbit arround earth for two years and then landed?

I was chating about that with a friend of mine who had read a book about this thing being actualy a space ship that would pick people who supposedly are on a base on the moon and then work as a medium to bring them back to earth.

Maybe I am seeing ghosts but it would make sence if this kind of jump would be a test for them to come back undetected now wouldn't?

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 06:55 AM
link   

I like that he did it in secret, Soviet style. Just him, his crew, and the birds. Of course afterwards the publicity will roll in, and the women, and the free drinks in bars...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join