It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ever been down on your luck? Just need people to read this

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 10:35 AM
link   
It is my hope that even if this post doesn’t get flagged, people will still at least read it. EVER BEEN DOWN ON YOUR LUCK? Well great, then you will know what I am going through! I have swallowed my pride and decided to put this out there to the great people of ATS. Regardless of education, political stance, religious philosophy, etc., I find you all to be a great group of people and hope to one day get to meet a few of you. But enough on the excellent people here...on to the purpose of this post.

I am an attorney and I am currently looking for a job. Oh, I have one right now and I am grateful to have one that puts food on the table when so many people don't. However, the job is going to be coming to a conclusion soon, because I have discussed with my boss that this is not the line of work I want to be doing for the rest of my life, that I hate my job, and that I don't have the free time to volunteer in the community like I would like to do. I wanted to be an attorney to help people, and I feel like I am no longer doing so. He has given me a limited amount of time to find something else that will be running out soon. He is already in the process of interviewing other people, and once he hires someone I am out the door. This is not to say that my current employer is bad- it is not bad and I do like the people I am around. It is just making a business decision to move on.

I have been an attorney a little over 8 years, and have been at my current location for 6 1/2 years. I have been looking for a year now, applied to literally hundreds of places all over the country, and have even done probably 15 interviews in the past year. However, no success. In my opinion, my interview skills are not terrible, my resume is not terrible, my grades are not terrible (I was actually first in my class in my undergraduate major), and I have a ton of litigation experience. I am also a fairly personable, and I have an excellent record as an attorney. I have no ill relationship with my boss. Unfortunately, I graduated with a ton of student loan debt and in an economy with law schools that continues to churn out law graduates without regard to the saturated market. Despite making what most would consider an adequate but not impressive salary, due to certain life circumstances, I live paycheck to paycheck. I have a modest house, drive a modest vehicle, and hardly ever go on vacations.

You see, in my profession, unfortunately, it's all about who you know, and I don't know anyone. I am the first in my immediate family to graduate college and the first to obtain a law degree. Yes, I have many acquaintances who probably know my name, but my resources for finding employment are rather limited. In my experience, other attorneys are all about being friendly to you until it comes to finding a job, then they are nowhere to be found. Attorneys who I have trusted in the past have let me down by showing favoritism in one form or another, which is quite frustrating.

Some of you may ask, why don't you just hang out your own shingle? To start, that is a risky venture and I have a family to support. It takes a while for a solo practice to become profitable. If I go without a paycheck just one month, my kids miss a few meals. If I go without a paycheck for several months...well I don't even want to think about that. Also, there is a ton of startup costs associated with that and I am already in a lot of debt. I would likely have to hire help to get anything done and that costs money. Finally, running a law firm requires certain business knowledge that I don't have.

The purpose of this post is not to look for sympathy (we all have our problems and mine are pale in comparison to others), but just to exhaust all my avenues because I know that there are ATS'ers out there who may "have a friend who has a friend" that might have a potential opportunity. Or heck, you might personally have an opportunity. You don't know if you never ask. I would prefer to be in some type of general counsel role, as opposed to litigation, as I feel my skillset is better for a counsel role than a litigating attorney role. However, I am looking at anything with an open mindset. My only strict requirement is that I live in the Southeast U.S., because all of my family is down here and I don't want my children to grow up without knowing their grandparents, aunts and uncles, etc. I grew up that way, and would give anything to be able to go back and change that.

Regardless of how you personally feel about attorneys (there are good and bad ones) some of them actually try to do the right thing and are good people, and I ask you to look beyond any prejudices you may have. So I am simply asking the ATS'ers who read this that if they can help in any way, such help would be much appreciated. Even your support is appreciated as I go through this difficult time. Thanks for taking the time to read this! Feel free to send me a private message if you wish.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: jburg6

Well, I think it is laudable to aim for something you want to be doing, as opposed to something that pays the bills. However, everyone needs bread on the table, and that is always a factor.

All I can say, is that I wish you the best of luck in finding some work that suits you.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 10:52 AM
link   
You are your own worse enemy.
Never quit your job until you have a new one lined up. You didn't walk out but you told your boss you wanted to. That pretty much the same as quitting.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

It was showing in my work, and rather than lie to my boss when asked about it and risk everything, I chose to tell the truth. I figured he would be willing to work with me for a while, and I was right.
edit on 24-10-2014 by jburg6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 11:05 AM
link   

I can understand that and would rather have my employees tell me than leave me hanging.
But can I give you some advice?
I work with power tools every day and if I lose focus on my work I will lose fingers. That is basically what you are doing to yourself. You are losing mental fingers. You need to focus on the job at hand. Depression might not be to far behind either so take care of yourself. .

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 11:12 AM
link   

With your education why would you work for anybody else.

Hang out your own shingle. Work from home if you must.

Of course it might be tough in the beginning.

Do it now. Quit relying on others to hire you.

I never work for another man. I don't have your education.

You can do this. It's time to put on the big boy pants.

Now, go knock them dead then come and tell us all about it.

Best of Luck.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   
My father applied for 4143 jobs until he finally found a job. 4/4143 jobs contacted him back to ask for an interview. Yes, my father kept count of how many jobs he applied for because it meant so much to him. The job he got had 400 applicants with one having a nobel prize, and he still got the job. He had an interview over the PHONE whilst almost all of the others had face to face interviews and he still got the job. Hes making 150K now..........and now he hates his job after 2 years so now hes applying again. Hes up to 819 applications so far now. We talk a lot about his job lol...

so......dont give up. My father didnt and he finally got a shot. Even when you think your life is absolutely over (as my father said he felt), there is still one door that is open all the way in the back. Get going.

Apply for more jobs. You apparently have an amazing resume and good communications skills whereas my dad has HORRIBLE communications skills but a good resume. Try more. Every day, apply apply apply. My dad is a freaking zombie on his laptop whenever hes applying. Be a zombie.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Hate to say welcome to the Club, but at least I have unemployment. I also have grown a disliking (to put it mildly) towards my Occupation, doing Graphic Deisgn for Major Corporations who only care about money and not a damn thing else they do.

I am currently updating my skills in this Profession, which is also difficult because I don't want to work for Big Money, or No Money anymore. But I guess it is plan B, because plan A doesn't exist.

I hope we both stumble on something good.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Can you tone that avatar down to one gulp say every 30 seconds? Thanks.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 01:59 PM
link   

You need to do some networking but you said you don't really know many people. I have a suggestion for you, there is a website called Meetup and it's about meeting up with people all across the country and you can focus in on your area. I have used it to find like minded people with interests in kayaking ect. When I am on the site checking out the groups in my area I frequently see networking groups for professionals such as yourself looking for opportunities. Check it out, you just may find that door your looking for.

www.meetup.com...

Good luck to you!
edit on 24-10-2014 by 2manyholes because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   
This website is amazingly helpful. Everyone networks in the comments section as well. The advice is current, ect.....
A week or so ago they had been discussing a lawyer who wasn't thrilled with the profession, but was having a difficult time transitioning because potential employers didn't believe the new hire ( lawyer) would stick around.

Other instances have come up with Lawyers not wanting to be in a huge practice, and so how to transition over into Non-Profit or charity organizations?

www.askamanager.org...

Take a look, ask some questions and see if they've thought of things you might not have?
Good Luck!!!

new topics

top topics

join